Crisis with Xintechs & Superdual ?
Jul 14, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #91 of 107
HI: Can someone please tell me the difference between a SuperMono amp and a regular amp. If so how does it work and what advantages does it have over a regular amp? Is there a MONO amp out there? if so how does it sound?I asume it will be a duell nono for stero.

Jul 14, 2004 at 7:26 PM Post #92 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smriti
But the internal charger and AC power supply are already in SuperDual, they are not new.
wink.gif

But the dual mono design is similar to the SR-71's design.. at least from what we know of Supermono's design ATM.. so, maybe I do deserve some royalty..
biggrin.gif

Oh, and an aluminum case for the Supermono.. that is a departure from xin's rat shack battery cases, and hammond plastic boxes.. seems like a design lesson learnt from the SR-71 and PR..

[size=xx-small]*Oh well, I gotta get back.. Xin's on the other line..
biggrin.gif
*[/size]

Jul 14, 2004 at 7:52 PM Post #93 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by LTUCCI1924
HI: Can someone please tell me the difference between a SuperMono amp and a regular amp. If so how does it work and what advantages does it have over a regular amp? Is there a MONO amp out there? if so how does it sound?I asume it will be a duell nono for stero.

I'm by no means an expert, but I think I have a very basic understanding of what this means. An example of a MONO amp would be the Headroom Blockhead. It means that there is a seperate amplifier circuit and power supply for each channel, left and right. In a regular stereo amplifier the left and right channels share some of the same components. The monolithic or mono block amp, as it is referred to, is supposed to give better stereo seperation, resulting in a better soundstage and other sonic benefits.

Jul 15, 2004 at 1:35 AM Post #95 of 107
Lou:
Consider this also as a gross guess, as I'm not an expert in any case, (not even a novice) but I think that the name SuperMono, is due to the use of two single channel (mono) OPamps, OP637 or the like, one for each channel, as opposed to the use of a dual (stereo) OPamp on the Superdual, AD8620 style.

Jul 15, 2004 at 1:40 AM Post #96 of 107
Sovkiller
HI: How are you? That sounds cool and different from other XIN amps. Two mono opamps and with rca jacks and a wal wart might be a grea home amp that is very small but sounds great?

Jul 15, 2004 at 1:48 AM Post #97 of 107
I would still consider them as portable amps, IMO the only real portable amps out there, the rest are IMO just transportable....I'm planning to get one in the future, let's say: revision 627, or the like....LOL....while I decided to conform the portable setup, and I get a job that let me use it.
For home use there should be others that could offer a better performance, of course not for that price, but as they have more space to play with, better PSU, bigger caps, better resistors, better pots, etc....Get a decent PPA for home use, and leave the Xin amps for what they were intended OK?....
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Jul 15, 2004 at 3:11 AM Post #98 of 107
Sovkiller
HI: I just sold my JMT PPA amp. It was a great amp but not what I needed. The super mono will be a home amp. You wait and see. LOL And lets not forget the genus of XIN.

Jul 15, 2004 at 3:27 AM Post #99 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Lou:
Consider this also as a gross guess, as I'm not an expert in any case, (not even a novice) but I think that the name SuperMono, is due to the use of two single channel (mono) OPamps, OP637 or the like, one for each channel, as opposed to the use of a dual (stereo) OPamp on the Superdual, AD8620 style.

Yes, I think this makes sense in a small portable amp moreso than a monolithic design as I described, although I think it is the same basic principle. How can anyone fit two seperate power supplies to drive each channel into such a tiny amp? And how would you hook up your headphones without modifying the cable. Then again, if anyone can do something like that it would Xin.

Lou: I have no idea how a SuperMono might sound against a PPA. Too bad you sold your PPA. Otherwise I would be glad to come over for a minimeet!
icon10.gif
I guess that might even be called a SuperMini Meet!
tongue.gif

Jul 16, 2004 at 6:38 PM Post #100 of 107
Its magnanimous for Xin Tech to want to "upgrade" theri product however they need not risk their entire operation for an "upgrade". There is therefore, in my opinion, more going on here.

I have a personal situtation with my superdual in that the right side is "dead". When I use the X-feed I hear a "smattering" only. For the sake of clarification my serial is 4062010, not in-need of an upgrade, just a repair. Hopefully, I will be able to get it worked on by them.

Xin Tech was not associated legally with Dr. Xin in my understanding. I am hoping Dr. Xin can save XT and my little amp.

Thanks for listening

Jul 16, 2004 at 6:44 PM Post #101 of 107
HTraut,

Send it bck to Xin for repairs. It seems to me that he is now in charge of the upgrades, so he's probably back in the saddle.

Sorry to hear about your demise, but it's worth getting it fixed.

If you need the address it's on this site (one of my posts), or just PM me.

Jul 16, 2004 at 11:18 PM Post #102 of 107
For those of you who are concerned about the SD upgrade, here's my story.

Xin emailed me personally to send the amp to him. This Tuesday I mailed it to him. With a one-day turn-around and XIN using USPS prority mail I am listening with the upgraded SD as I write (Friday).

I haven't the foggiest what he did. Still sounds good to me!

So, my suggestion is for those with serial numbers that show you need an upgrade for the SD, go ahead and send it into Xin. All will be well.

Jul 17, 2004 at 5:37 AM Post #103 of 107
i received mine too(very quick) but haven't listened to it yet, are you guys still using the radio shack cable? would a better cable provide better sound? or the radio shack cable is good enough?
thanks

Jul 19, 2004 at 5:14 PM Post #104 of 107
Roast Beast!

I haven't used the RS cable, but rather a custom PivotZu (9"). I think a good IC is worthy of the soon-to-be-replaced SuerDual.

The sound from this amp is really quite amazing.

Jul 19, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #105 of 107
yea, i'm getting a three inch cable form misterX, the amp does sound amazing, i love it(or until the supermono comes out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back