crinacle's IEM FR measurement database
Feb 24, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #706 of 1,335
Hit me up if you're coming to SG in and around these 2 weeks :D

During that time my work should clear up by a bit. If we happen to meet, cake's on me!

Cheers!

The next time I’m there would be CanJam SG. But, I definitely look forward to meeting a lot of you guys there.

Good time to meet our guy who's made a name for himself in SG.

We’ve actually met at MS before, but you probably didn’t know it was me. :wink:

Feb 24, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #708 of 1,335
Erm..........really? When did this happen -might help to note that I've not been in SG for over a year.

It was quite a while ago. You were talking to the MS guys about the Z1R and WM1Z reviews you just posted. We didn’t exactly have a conversation. :D

Feb 24, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #709 of 1,335
I do plan to visit again when I get the time. Kristy is servicing my Mojo as we speak. :wink:
giphy.gif

Feb 28, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #712 of 1,335
Massdrop plus is up. Hmm should I get it?
Ask your wallet, then your wife.
Wallet says yes and no wife? Go for it.
Wallet says yes but wife says no? Wine and dine her first, then go for it.
Wallet says no but wife says yes? Ask wifey to get it for you. :p

Mar 13, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #713 of 1,335
Don't know if anyone else is using a syringe as a coupler, but I found a cut down 3cc syringe works perfectly.

The graduated markings allow it to easily be cut down to ~1.26cc volume (IEC 711).

If you add a small o-ring to the iMM-6 microphone (I used a keyboard o-ring), the fit is so secure and air tight in the plunger end that no tape is necessary to seal it.

I did drill a small hole in the side of the syringe, which I cover with a small piece of tape. Before I insert an IEM, I peel back the tape (exposing the hole), so that the air pressure equalizes. Then I insert the IEM, reseal the hole with the tape, and take my measurements.

Total cost $0.

EDR1-stock.png

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #714 of 1,335
I made another coupler, this time out of 7/16" ID silicone tubing (with a section of smaller diameter silicone tubing shoved inside). The final ID is the same as the syringe coupler from the post above, and the volume is the same as well (~1.26cc).

IMG-1365.JPG

When run back to back with my syringe coupler, the graphs are quite similar, with the exception of ~3k to ~6k.

Would you say this can be chalked up to normal run-to-run variability, or do you guys think the difference is due to the material (ie resonances, etc)?

IMG-1363.PNGIMG-1364.PNG

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #715 of 1,335
I made another coupler, this time out of 7/16" ID silicone tubing (with a section of smaller diameter silicone tubing shoved inside). The final ID is the same as the syringe coupler from the post above, and the volume is the same as well (~1.26cc).

When run back to back with my syringe coupler, the graphs are quite similar, with the exception of ~3k to ~6k.

Would you say this can be chalked up to normal run-to-run variability, or do you guys think the difference is due to the material (ie resonances, etc)?

Seems like the material resonance may be at play in this, it seems. Usually my run-to-run variance is smaller, and usually more about my insert depth than anything

Mar 20, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #716 of 1,335
Agree - I’d also suggest shortening the tube a little. Know anyone with an ear canal that length :wink:

Mar 20, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #717 of 1,335
Agree - I’d also suggest shortening the tube a little. Know anyone with an ear canal that length :wink:

I was basing the length on volume rather than length. I read that the IEC711 standard specifies an internal volume of 1.26cc (which I assumed is based on the volume of an average ear canal.

But yeah, I can shorten the couplers if that's what's generally recommended.

Mar 20, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #718 of 1,335
In the pipeline for future projects is a headphone FR database in the same vein as this one. Unfortunately, unlike the IEM measurement database the equipment that I require will not be as cheap as a tube and a Dayton IMM-6.

What I'll need for the main project is the miniDSP EARS, which is a simplified All-In-One system for headphone measurements. I would go the DIY route, but the variance in DIY flatplates and my relative inexperience in the field of headphone measurements system does not give me much confidence. Plus, utilising a system that can be easily purchased by the masses makes cross-referencing at least slightly possible, or at least something that users can be familiar with. Though in effect, the philosophy of the pending headphone FR database would be the same as this one: emphasising repeatability and internal comparability, with its reliability based on the sheer volume of comparable data.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #719 of 1,335
I was basing the length on volume rather than length. I read that the IEC711 standard specifies an internal volume of 1.26cc (which I assumed is based on the volume of an average ear canal.

But yeah, I can shorten the couplers if that's what's generally recommended.

I don’t pretend to understand it all - but the 1.26 cubic cm is in relation to a 500hz wave. In this paper they also talk about the coupler simulation setup 10mm from the earpoint entrance. That’s why I thought your tube might be too long. Maybe Jude could talk to his measurement gurus?

Again I could be wrong.

http://www.aes.org/technical/documentDownloads.cfm?docID=177

Mar 20, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #720 of 1,335
Seems like the material resonance may be at play in this, it seems. Usually my run-to-run variance is smaller, and usually more about my insert depth than anything

OK, that makes sense.

For the silicone coupler, I tried to eliminate insertion depth variances by using the "inner" tube as a hard stop for the eartip. By that I mean an IEM always gets inserted to the point where the ear tip bottoms out against the edge of the smaller tube (the smaller tube is nested inside of the larger tube). In this way, all measurements can always be taken from the same consistent insertion depth. I can take the tubes apart and show what I mean if it would be helpful, but you can kind of make it out in this photo:

IMG-1365 - Edited.jpg

For the syringe coupler, I tried to eliminate insertion depth variances by using the graduations on the side of the syringe as an insertion depth guide.

Therefore, since the insertion depth is fairly consistent, I think you;re right in that material resonance is the only logical explanation. I'll probably stick with the silicone coupler, since it's a closer analogue to human skin than the hard plastic syringe.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back