crinacle's IEM FR measurement database
Sep 21, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #467 of 1,335
Ok, thanks! And yes, Comply make pretty much every type of bore size imaginable. Usually this would be a function of the nozzle diameter, but if there's any ambiguity (e.g., an IEM that comes with more than one type of silicone tip, or if you've used a non-default, non-OEM tip), it would be helpful to know exactly what was used in the measurement. Not all wide-bore silicone tips sound the same :wink:

P.S. Thanks again for sharing your setup and your white noise files. I haven't had time to look into the details of the periodic white noise track, but it's clearly doing something interesting.

Too many tips to bother with. I just make sure the whole bore is exposed. There shouldn't be too much variation between one wide-bore tip to the next, and if there is I would really like to test that out.

The concept of periodic noise is basically greater randomisation of the pattern which results in faster averaging. As the ARTA user manual states, "periodic noise signal has a perfectly flat spectral density without averaging and without any signal windowing".

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #468 of 1,335
The concept of periodic noise is basically greater randomisation of the pattern which results in faster averaging. As the ARTA user manual states, "periodic noise signal has a perfectly flat spectral density without averaging and without any signal windowing".

It is amazing stuff! (I just wish it didn't fall off a cliff at 20 kHz - just for the sake of plot aesthetics).

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #469 of 1,335
I also think it's a fool's errand to bother too much about the tips. yes they alter the signature, but so does everything else. the variations we get in the coupler with a given insertion depth and different tips is not guaranteed to be the same in our ears. just like we don't know that the tube or whatever we're using is going to shape the tip the way the ear canal would. or that we'll be able to insert the IEMs the exact same way with different tips into our own ears(I know I can't).
as we're into relative measurement anyway, what matters is just to pick a system and hold on to it. always the same tip(at least for same size nozzle), no tip and a DIY enclosure, or the default tip that's on the IEM on delivery, they all have pros&cons and IMO none are completely wrong at this point.

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #471 of 1,335
I don't think anybody was suggesting that. What crinacle is doing is solid. I am simply suggesting it would be helpful to know the tip that was used, in the event it wasn't the standard/default-supplied OEM tip.
oh sure, I'm never against more information. ^_^

Sep 24, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #475 of 1,335
My Shozy x AAW Hibiki just arrived today. It comes as my additional reward option for supporting the AAW Capri cable Indiegogo.

Shozy x AAW Hibiki

Initial impressions
  • Thin and shrill sounding midrange. Vocals not of the right timbre.
  • Treble also sounds off, in a way that is quite piercing yet lacks the upper octave air.
  • Bass is decent but nothing exceptional.
  • Unacceptable channel matching. Left channel has more treble than the right by a significant margin of error. (Measurement above is taken with the right channel)
Tentative grade: D

Sep 24, 2017 at 5:40 AM Post #476 of 1,335
My Shozy x AAW Hibiki just arrived today. It comes as my additional reward option for supporting the AAW Capri cable Indiegogo.

Shozy x AAW Hibiki

Initial impressions
  • Treble also sounds off, in a way that is quite piercing yet lacks the upper octave air.
  • Unacceptable channel matching. Left channel has more treble than the right by a significant margin of error. (Measurement above is taken with the right channel)

Thx. I had a hunch it would turn like that, and you've just confirmed it :wink:

Sep 24, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #478 of 1,335

Shozy x AAW Hibiki

Initial impressions
=-O

Sep 25, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #479 of 1,335

Users who are viewing this thread

Back