Creek OBH 21SE opinions
Jan 24, 2004 at 5:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

catmus

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, would like opinions on the Creek OBH 21SE. I will be using Grado SR325's, with my source being a Jolida JD100A cdp(this is a tubed cdp). Or would a different amp match up better? This will be my first headphone system. Thanks, John

Jan 24, 2004 at 10:46 AM Post #2 of 8
I liked my Creek OBH21SE with the SR325s, but to be honest catmus don't expect too much in the way of opinions from here, apart from negative ones...

The irony at the time was, that everyone bashed this amp... and yet, at the time, I was one of the only people (if not the only person) who comes on here who had actually heard one

Jan 27, 2004 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by 00940
i found the combo obh21se+sr225 excessively (painfully) bright, on a creek cdp.

How long had you been listening to it? Had it been sufficiently broken in?

Exactly a month ago, I purchased my 21 (nonSE) - I then had to do a number of adjustments before it even began to sound properly, first with power supply, then with interconnect. In fact, both did affect the sound so tremendously...

Jan 28, 2004 at 8:52 AM Post #5 of 8
I've been listening for about half an hour on different materials.

It was a the Hifi show of Eindhoven. The room was quiet (I was the first in that room) and according to the representative, the combo had made a few shows before. So it was probably broken in (even if I don't really believe burning in completly changes the nature of an amp). I didn't check the ICs but they looked to be on the expensive side.

Jan 28, 2004 at 8:41 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

I've been listening for about half an hour on different materials.

So it was probably broken in (even if I don't really believe burning in completly changes the nature of an amp).

I knew it
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

The 21 requires at least 30 hours of good break-in. Mine however opened up fully after a week of continuous play. I doubt the hi-fi showmen had fully allowed for that.

But the real enjoyment came after I ordered a new hi-end interconnect from UK's Russ Andrew's (requires 3 (!) weeks of breaking-in... still about 5 days to go... but man how did the sound change 3 days ago
280smile.gif
280smile.gif
280smile.gif
The cable alone cost me around GBP 55/0.5m. That's what... $85?

Also, stay away from the hi-grade OBH-2 power supply: it obviously is suited only for the similar-grade 21SE amp. With the 21, IMHO it distorts the sound, especially the high end.

Jan 28, 2004 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 8
the representative told me "a few shows". Even if it means only 3 shows of 2 days, they're up playing for 10 hours in a row each day on repeat. Something like 60 hours.

I don't see how a better supply would distort the sound ??? Especially when it was on the right amp, the obh21se.

It'd be interesting if someone had heard both amps.

Jan 28, 2004 at 9:35 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

I don't see how a better supply would distort the sound ??? Especially when it was on the right amp, the obh21se.

Of course, I meant the 21 version only - down the road I somehow forgot where this thread came from.

In fact, I own both power suplies, so I could compare them, but using the 21 amp only. I am sure OBH-2 should sound better with the 21SE amp it normally comes with.

the representative told me "a few shows". Even if it means only 3 shows of 2 days, they're up playing for 10 hours in a row each day on repeat. Something like 60 hours.

Fine if you're sure it ran durinf those shows "on repeat", which is not so obvious to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back