Creek OBH-21 vs. Corda Headfive (HD 650)
Feb 12, 2008 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

fozi

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I should be receiving a second hand pair of HD 650 tomorrow (exchanged for my A-T A900) and surely I would like to get "better kick" out of them than my AV-reciever's or CD-player's headphone jack can offer.

Being a Second-Hand-Believer (only my speakercables has been bought as new) and also because I don't want to spend too much on the headphone amp, my present finds are following:

1. Creek OBH-21 for about 120€
2. Corda Headfive for about 150€

I couldn't find too much information from the jungle of Head-Fi about mentioned amps played with HD 650.

My CD-player is a Sony SCD-XB770 which produces dry and little bit bright sound.

So one simple question: which one of the mentioned amps would you choose to play HD 650?

Feb 12, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 6
I did not find the HD-650 and HeadFive a good pairing (driven by iPod). Sounded slow and muddy. I'm not sure how much more a CanAmp would be in Euros, but I really enjoyed that combo.

Asr in his six-way comparison review described the CanAmp as slow (compared to GS-1 and GLite), but powerful and bassy. Paired with the HD-650, it probably wouldn't win any studio reference competitions, but it was REALLY FUN!

Feb 13, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by mchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did not find the HD-650 and HeadFive a good pairing (driven by iPod). Sounded slow and muddy. I'm not sure how much more a CanAmp would be in Euros, but I really enjoyed that combo.

Asr in his six-way comparison review described the CanAmp as slow (compared to GS-1 and GLite), but powerful and bassy. Paired with the HD-650, it probably wouldn't win any studio reference competitions, but it was REALLY FUN!

It wasn't fun-sounding to me. Agonizingly ponderous, more like it.

Feb 13, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #5 of 6
Hmm. Interesting. Different ears, I guess.

Also my comparison point at the time was the HeadFive and DT-990.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It wasn't fun-sounding to me. Agonizingly ponderous, more like it.

Feb 13, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #6 of 6
What about Pro-ject Headbox Mk II? It costs 139€ as new.

I would figure though, that Creek (costing 270€ as new) would be a better investment. And it has two jacks which might be a plus in the future use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back