Creek OBH-11SE Rev B Appreciation Tread
Mar 31, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #17 of 20
I enjoyed my OBH-11SE, but a while back it downed tools and refused to pass any signal, so it went on the shelf for a while. Always meant to get it fixed, but the headphone out on my Linn Majik worked well enough to get by (more than by actually, but anyway...) and, being a musician, there was always performance gear to spend money on. Recently, however, the old devil bug resurfaced and I got the AKG K701's. This, of course, led me to seek out a suitable amp (I mean, if you're gonna listen to it, then listen to it). But then along comes this dead mint, pea**** blue, Les Paul Elegant. What's a poor boy to do? Then I remember the Creek. So now it's down at the local spa getting its signal path reestablished, its caps upgraded and maybe a pot upgrade as well.. By the time it comes back the K701's should have pretty well burned-in. I'll burn the Creek in for about 24 hours and then we shall see what we shall see.

Mar 31, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #18 of 20
Other than being a bit (noticably) rolled-off in the highs, the Creek is a quite capable, and unjustly maligned, amp.

Mar 31, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #19 of 20
I had the OBH-11 non SE and I started hating it when I got my HD650s. The thing didnt have nearly enough power, and it sounded like a regular headphone jack, and it had around the same volume. It was pretty decent with my Grados, but still was not a good deal price wise compared to the $300 GLite that sounds amazing for both cans.

What is the difference between the SE and non-SE.
I even modded it with a battery power supply to give it clean power, but this didnt really help it much.
What is the MSRP on both of them? I dont quite remember

Apr 29, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #20 of 20
The difference between the SE and non-SE is that the SE is discrete, whereas the non-SE uses op-amp(s).

I finally got my SE back out of the shop. Evidently, getting replacement transistors is a PITA. Now, however it is back with all new transistors, much improved heat sinks, venting, and all caps upgraded. I don't have another dedicated headphone amp on hand to compare it to, but it sounds pretty fabulous to me. It comfortably outperforms the Linn Majik (for what that's worth).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back