Creek OBH-11SE Jacks Impedence
Jul 19, 2001 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

anders213

Head-Fier
I know this question ahve been answered in Headwize but...... Headwize is unfortunately down for almost a mth.
frown.gif

Anyhow, any1 noes the impedence difference for the 2 headphone out on the OBH11SE? Or are they similar in impedence? Which out is suitable for the HD600 and which is suitable for SR225?
Currently i have my HD600 plugged into the right output which i assume to have a louder volume.
Please advice.

Thank You.

Anders
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2001 at 4:33 AM Post #2 of 15
The OBH-11SE Special Edition features 2 headphone jacks, one for 120 ohms and one for 220 ohms. I would plug the Grado (32 ohms) into the 120 ohm jack and the Senn (300 ohms) into the 220 ohm jack. But you can just as easily experiment and see if there is any difference in sound if you swap them. Then just pick the one that sounds best to you.

Good luck!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2001 at 4:40 AM Post #5 of 15
The link to the OBH-11/11se manual is here:

OBH-11/11se manual

It says try both jacks and use which ever sounds best.
I tried both jacks with an HD600 and an SR60. Jack #2 sounded best with both headphones to me.

But then again, I'm sneared.

Quantitative measurements to follow.

Jul 27, 2001 at 4:50 AM Post #7 of 15
The problem is that when you switch from one jack to the other, the volume changes. So you end up twiddling with the volume to do your listening tests. Unfortunately, if you are a little off, it can fool your ears. So I made some crude measurements.

For the Grados it doesn't look like either jack makes much difference. For the Senns it looks like the impedance results in a fairly significant bass boost on jack #1.

Note that:

- Sl-SW860 refers to the CDP line out into the amp.

- These curves tell you nothing about the acoustic response of the headphones to the signal.

- No, I didn't measure the headphone out jack of the CDP or the actual impedance of the jacks. I ran out of beer.

- 0 db for the cdp lineout was 0.627 vRMS @ 1 kHz

Without starting a flame, I highly recommend listening to some test signals through your gear. You'll be amazed at what you don't hear!

Feb 5, 2004 at 6:26 PM Post #14 of 15
I have only heard rev B of 11se, so again check the posts, there is a lot of info available.
The non se versions are identical.
Also these units need time to burn in, at first I did not notice an improvement over what I had when I got the OBH-11se Rev B new in November.
I did another comparison the other night. Originally ran a vintage Marantz 1070 (highly regarded in the vintage crowd) or Teac meter bridge with variable impedance input off the Bryson preamp.
The Creek had vastly improved over the previous duo, the Marantz needed the loudness control engaged to get the bass extension and the extended highs were just are not there.
Mind you, if like your music wrapped like a warm blanket (and sometimes we do, you can listen for hours) the Marantz fits the bill.
Overall the Creek has a lot more air, definition and presence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back