Creed OBH-11 & AKG K501s
Jul 24, 2002 at 11:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Maxi

New Head-Fier
Well today I finally got the Creed amp I had waited for ages and was hyped up. Lots of people here have recommended the amp for K501s saying it compensates the cans' somewhat weak bass presentation. I hooked up the amp to my Onkyo AV receiver but no positive effect. The bass started to break up no matter what the volume was set for: strong from the amp, weak from the amp. I was much happier when through EQing I gained more and deeper bass.

I'll try to hook them up straight to the sound card's front panel (RCA out). I also have to test how the amp works when playing audio cds on my Onkyo DVD-player (RCA out).

Maxi

P.S. I just though that the headphone out from the Onkyo receiver might not be right way to hook up this amp. Any ideas / suggestions of what might the right way?

Edit: getting the name of the product right at the subject line #)

Jul 24, 2002 at 3:15 PM Post #2 of 7
Hook your amp to the line out on the back of the amp.

If things still break up, you either need to listen lower or you need to get your phones, amp or source checked...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 24, 2002 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 7
The best way to hook up your headphone amp would be to connect it directly from the line output of your source, but if that's not practical, connect it to the line out (or tape loop out) of your receiver. Don't hook it up to the headphone jack of the receiver; this would cause the signal to first pass through the crappy built-in amp in the receiver, distorting it before being amped again by the Creek, nullifying any advantages a separate headphone amp gives you.

Also, I don't think a Creek drives the K501 adequately. They have a relatively low impedance (120 ohms), which means it requires a lot of current, and also has a low sensitivity (94 dB @ 1mW), even lower than the HD600. Those AKG's are probably one of the hardest headphones to drive. Personally, I would look into getting a different headphone if you need more bass response, like the Sennheiser HD580.

Jul 24, 2002 at 6:16 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by fiddler
Also, I don't think a Creek drives the K501 adequately. They have a relatively low impedance (120 ohms), which means it requires a lot of current, and also has a low sensitivity (94 dB @ 1mW), even lower than the HD600. Those AKG's are probably one of the hardest headphones to drive. Personally, I would look into getting a different headphone if you need more bass response, like the Sennheiser HD580.

Yeah. I'm starting to believe that the Creed has not enough juice to properly drive the K501s. I tried using my sound card's line out (RCA) and DVD-player's line out (RCA) but that didn't help at all. I'm still having the bass breaking quite badly. Actually my other cans, the Beyerdynamic DT531s benefitted from the Creed quite much more (& no bass breaking) than the K501s but they didn't need the extra amping in the first place
frown.gif

Anywayz, this made me discover something; my Onkyo AV Receiver (TX-DS575) is quite good. It has enough power to drive the K501s to ear breaking levels if needed and through EQing at the computer I can get quite an impressive bass response. But still there's the hunger to get more....maybe the DT531s will some day replace the K501s or maybe I'll enjoy my AKGs forever. Why knows?
smily_headphones1.gif

Enjoy your music guys and thanx for the responses!

Maxi

Jul 24, 2002 at 7:09 PM Post #5 of 7
I first thought it was a mere typo, but since you've made the mistake so many times...

It's CreeK, not CreeD.
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2002 at 8:33 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by fiddler
I first thought it was a mere typo, but since you've made the mistake so many times...

It's CreeK, not CreeD.
biggrin.gif

LOL. I was thinking the same thing...almost had to go back and check the damn thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back