Creative Zii??
Dec 29, 2008 at 3:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

salsala

New Head-Fier
Hey, not sure if you guys have seen this but it seems that Creative is introducing something called "zii-steamcell computing". I tried to click onto the website (Zii.com) to find out more*but the whole site only has a button to sign up for updates. Anyone here knows what this whole Zii things is all about?

Dec 30, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #3 of 17
Supposed to be announced at CES I believe /shrug

Dec 30, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #4 of 17
I imagine they'll have some crazy hippies upset over the 'stem-cell' part of it.

Dec 30, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 17
rumor say its a new "all purpose" DSP, since the x-fi is too power hungry and hard to use in any other application which isnt a stand alone sound card,

Dec 31, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #7 of 17
It does not sound like they had a ready product. But if they have really ground breaking technology available we should see new products coming up soon...

I just hope they make it available to other companies from day one, unlike X-Fi which they kept to themselves for so long. X-Fi is great technology and its hardware resampling capabilities beat anything except for maybe Motorola arrays of cards used for the top Pro Tools rigs.

If this new processor (?) improves over the X-Fi it might be something really good.

Dec 31, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I imagine they'll have some crazy hippies upset over the 'stem-cell' part of it.

"hippies"? it's the radical right that's opposed to stem cell research and a woman's right to choose, but I guess we need not get into that discussion here...

Jan 5, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #10 of 17
I registered for updates on zii.com and that's what I received in the inbox:

[size=medium] "Zii is StemCell Computing

Thank you and congratulations on the early registration.
You are now part of a privileged group that will witness the life changing event of 2009. You will be invited to join a new movement that will experience revolutionary breakthroughs.

Everything you know is about to change.

Drawing our inspiration from the intelligence of Mother Nature – who through over a billion years of evolution has designed the basic building block of life: the stem cell – we have created a stem cell-like silicon that is able to grow and multiply into different solutions and ecosystems.

With an investment that spans over 10 years, over a billion dollars and over 10,000 man-years, the world is poised to experience a breakthrough that will better lives beyond our imagination.

Even in the midst of these turbulent times, you will discover incredible recession-friendly business opportunities that enable you to thrive and prosper.

To find out more about Zii and how it can change your life, visit our booth (booth #30651) at CES 2009, or go to Zii.com from 8 January 2009 for updates."
[/size]

So it seems we won't know for sure till the 8th of January. If they really spent a billion on it - I hope it gonna be something major..

Jan 5, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #12 of 17
the integrated AC97 audio basicly took 95% of creative´s market back in the mid-late 90´s, from then on, they have been producing sound cards which are a bit better then generic, but not good enough to hang with the big boys, they tried to expend to other techs like graphics cards, and also in to daps, but their daps are mediocre which which dont stand out much like sony and samsung in the MTP world,

personaly, i think its time for creative to go away,

Jan 6, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #13 of 17
It's Creative. What have they done of 'world changing' significance since introducing the Sound Blaster?

Though Aevum...the Creative version of the Riva TNT2 Ultra was pretty much king-of-the-hill, so at least they were good at the graphics cards.

Jan 6, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #14 of 17
heres the thing, alot of people think creative labs introduced the comsumer sound card,

not really, Adlib and roland were first to the market, but the roland was expencive while the adlib sythesized was inferior to the creative one,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back