Creative Zen Or Sony A818 8gb, what to take
Nov 4, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #76 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cry I "had" both players the zen and the sony a818, I liked the sony better on all counts.

Is it possible to make the artist and album tag information scroll on the now playing screen? I think I saw someone do that very thing on a video of the
Sony NWA-808FB by highlighting the info, but it was so quick I wasn't too sure.

Also, does anyone know if there's a case for the 818 that comes with a neck lanyard?

Nov 4, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #77 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blaine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, me too!

One thing I don't like about the Sony is its inability to handle compilation albums with multiple artists. That's one thing Apple gets exactly right with the nano and the 5.5G and 6G ipods.

Ooh thats a deal breaker for me. Only recently after many years of disliking iTunes, I finally reached the conclusion that the easiest way to manage multiple artist compilations is the way iTunes does it. Does it work the same for the 2g Nano too?

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #78 of 121
Quote:

Yes, me too!

One thing I don't like about the Sony is its inability to handle compilation albums with multiple artists. That's one thing Apple gets exactly right with the nano and the 5.5G and 6G ipods.

What problems did you have? If they are tagged properly they seem to work fine for me.

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #79 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by tman1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What problems did you have? If they are tagged properly they seem to work fine for me.

How do you tag compilations of various artists so they work on the Sony?

Nov 5, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #80 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you tag compilations of various artists so they work on the Sony?

Album Artist: Various Artists
Artist: the song's artist
Album Name: the album name
etc.

What problems are you having?

Also, I think I found that you can just drag and drop the folder (not using WMP) and it keeps the folder intact regardless of tags.

Nov 5, 2007 at 7:17 AM Post #81 of 121
On my Zen Vision:M that doesn't keep the tracks together when viewed by Artist or Genre. It splits it across all the artists. Only in "by Album" is it kept together. What it does on the Zen and the Sony I don't know.

Nov 5, 2007 at 9:21 AM Post #82 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by tman1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Album Artist: Various Artists
Artist: the song's artist
Album Name: the album name
etc.

What problems are you having?

Also, I think I found that you can just drag and drop the folder (not using WMP) and it keeps the folder intact regardless of tags.

I was totally unaware of that. I hope it works the same way with dragging and dropping. I simply cannot use WMP because all my many files in that player are lossless and lots of lossy duplicates would be just too confusing.

Nov 6, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #84 of 121
Quote:

I was totally unaware of that. I hope it works the same way with dragging and dropping. I simply cannot use WMP because all my many files in that player are lossless and lots of lossy duplicates would be just too confusing.

But using a different media player app like Media Monkey, you can select only certain tracks for sync, and you can manage them by folder location, not just by tag info.

Nov 6, 2007 at 10:04 AM Post #85 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by grommal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But using a different media player app like Media Monkey, you can select only certain tracks for sync, and you can manage them by folder location, not just by tag info.

Doesn't that then mean the player will use filenames and not tags? And, if that's the case, won't the track information be shortened in the case of lengthy file names because of Windows restrictions? If I remember correctly that's the way it used to work on the old iRiver players.

Nov 6, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #86 of 121
[size=xx-small]Sony A818[/size]

So, has Sony completely done away with ATRAC support on their newest players?

Also, how does it organize & display PCM files?

Nov 6, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #87 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=xx-small]Sony A818[/size]

So, has Sony completely done away with ATRAC support on their newest players?

Yes they have. Completely.

Quote:

Also, how does it organize & display PCM files?

I only know about the 808 and the 818 might organise files differently. But a few people over at Atraclife have bought the 818 and discussed it in detail, so I think you might find some answers over there. Failing that, you can post a question about the file organisation. I'm sure someone knows
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #88 of 121
Quote:

Doesn't that then mean the player will use filenames and not tags? And, if that's the case, won't the track information be shortened in the case of lengthy file names because of Windows restrictions? If I remember correctly that's the way it used to work on the old iRiver players.

I can't speak to players other than the one I have. I can store files on my Sony in whatever organization scheme I want by drag and drop, using as many or as few folders as I desire. I can then browse files by artist, album, song title, genre, and year using the tag info in each song. I can also browse by the folder structure I used for storage, and the individual songs show up with the tag song title on the display, but in the folder in which the song is stored. Pretty flexible IMHO.

Nov 7, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #89 of 121
Does anyone know who has the best price for the A818, the cheapest price I can find is $179 and free shipping (walmart.com) in the U.S. Not bad when you consider the price of other players. Does anyone know how this player fits in the Atrio case? Also, can you use it as a portable flash drive ie word docs, powerpoints ect?

Nov 7, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #90 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by meusickfrek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know who has the best price for the A818, the cheapest price I can find is $179 and free shipping (walmart.com) in the U.S. Not bad when you consider the price of other players. Does anyone know how this player fits in the Atrio case? Also, can you use it as a portable flash drive ie word docs, powerpoints ect?

I keep mine inside my Atrio case. Fits fine.
You can use it for file storage, but the transfer speeds don't seem as fast as I'd expect of USB 2.0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back