Creative Zen Micro any good?
Nov 6, 2005 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

booba

New Head-Fier
I can find it for 189 in Canada, but I am wondering if it is a good player, sound quality etc?

It just sucks that it is not a flash drive, and it only has 1 gb on the ipod nano, but if it is a good player I might just buy it anyway for that price.

Nov 6, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 21
mine has been working really well since i bought it in feb 05. lately though it's started randomely turning off while playing music, which as you can imagine gets really old really fast. other than that it's been a great dap with awesome sound quality, though i'm upgrading soon to a 30gb x5 because i'm out of room.

Nov 7, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #3 of 21
Yes,I agree that it's a very good player,particularly on sound quality. I'm very pleased with mine and have yet to encounter any issues with it. I "solved" my storage issue by picking up a Zen Sleek a few days ago.
Jnev,why don't you just return it if it's acting up on you? The warranty is good for a year,and Creative will likely just send another one. You could also try resetting your idle shutdown timer (I think the default is 5 minutes) to 20 or so minutes and see if that solves it.
No,the Zen is not flash based,but you can likely find a 6Gig Micro and an accessory or two -perhaps a remote and a fast AC charger- for less than the cost of a bare 4G Nano,which is likely another 100 Canadian over a 5Gig Micro.

Nov 7, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #5 of 21
Got my White Zen Micro 2 weeks ago, just before it started falling in price. Although I would've only saved $10 buying it now, but still, it's $10. Anyways, I love it, looks amazing in white, and I'm starting to grow on the touchpad. I just don't like how when you select a different track from your library you hear that hard drive noise, especially with my ER-6i. Also, I don't like the LEDs that light up the tochpad showing underneath the plastic, but only the light coloured ZMs are affected by that. Sound quality is excellent too.

Nov 7, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #6 of 21
dominode wrote

"it is not flash based,but you can likely find a 6Gig Micro and an accessory or two -perhaps a remote and a fast AC charger- for less than the cost of a bare 4G Nano,which is likely another 100 Canadian over a 5Gig Micro."

sorry I dont follow what is trying to be said here??

Nov 7, 2005 at 5:25 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter
Got my White Zen Micro 2 weeks ago, just before it started falling in price. Although I would've only saved $10 buying it now, but still, it's $10. Anyways, I love it, looks amazing in white, and I'm starting to grow on the touchpad. I just don't like how when you select a different track from your library you hear that hard drive noise, especially with my ER-6i. Also, I don't like the LEDs that light up the tochpad showing underneath the plastic, but only the light coloured ZMs are affected by that. Sound quality is excellent too.

no, it isn't supposed to affect any colors for the ZM period- it's a defect, bring it back, you'll like it better without it showing hte plastic.

my zm had a headphone jack defect and i dont' like it anymore because i got my nano and it's huge and bulky compared to it. lool

Nov 7, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by booba
dominode wrote

"it is not flash based,but you can likely find a 6Gig Micro and an accessory or two -perhaps a remote and a fast AC charger- for less than the cost of a bare 4G Nano,which is likely another 100 Canadian over a 5Gig Micro."

sorry I dont follow what is trying to be said here??

He's saying how you can get a 6 GB ZM + 2 accessories for less than the cost of a 4 GB iPod nano, which is $100 CAD more than the Zen Micro on sale right now.

And to mightymouse, I sent an e-mail to Creative, and they responded like this:

>Thank you for contacting Creative Technical Support.
>
>With regards to the issue you are having, you will be able to see the
>blue light over the white coating of the surface. This is prominent for
>the white Zen Micro.
>
>In case if you need any clarification, please do not hesitate to contact
>us. Do email back on the status concerning the issue so that I can
>assist you further. Thank you.
>
>For faster service please reply with previous correspondence when
>replying to this email.
>
>Best Regards
>,
>
>*********
>Technical Support
>Creative Labs Americas
>"Get Creative"

Nov 7, 2005 at 9:12 AM Post #9 of 21
get one if you want the headphone jack to die within a year... i don't know if or how well they fixed the problem, but yourself a favor and get a nano or something like that.

Nov 7, 2005 at 2:26 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by shooter124
get one if you want the headphone jack to die within a year... i don't know if or how well they fixed the problem, but yourself a favor and get a nano or something like that.

I have one of the original, first run ZMs, have had it since a few months after it came out, and I still haven't had any problems with the headphone jack. Also, after learning of the problem they reinforced the headphone jack, so the chances of it getting broken are even smaller. the Zen Micro is a great dap, sounds great, looks fantastic, and fits in an altoids tin.
wink.gif

And, while we are talking about defects, what about the nano screen cracking, the extremely easy scratching, and the fact that since it's very thin, the hcances of it getting bent to far and damaging the internal electronics are higher than usual? Don't get me wrong, I like the nano, but the ZM is also a great player.

Nov 7, 2005 at 2:44 PM Post #12 of 21
Personally I'm not crazy about the touch controls. But you get used to it. One big plus is that with the lastest firmware, you can drag and drop music/data to the Zen Micro without installing any drivers or other software. Big plus in my book. The other is that is sounds great from the earphone out. Not all MP3 players do, and personally I don't want to carry amps and docks in a (man)bag so I can get a decent sound out of a unit that already cost a few hundred bucks to start with. I think its sounds very close to my iPod Shuffle, and my HiMD.

Nov 7, 2005 at 2:46 PM Post #13 of 21
Although I love my ZM, it just dies on me. The right channel output doesn't work, and the unit refuses to charge.

I shot Creative an email, since I purchased it this past summer, so we shall see if I am still a fan of crative after this incident.

Nov 8, 2005 at 12:22 AM Post #14 of 21
Azncookiecutter,
Thanks for translating what I thought was pretty straightforward:

Quote:

Sorry,Booba,I'll watch my prose here.

Nov 8, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191
Personally I'm not crazy about the touch controls. But you get used to it. One big plus is that with the lastest firmware, you can drag and drop music/data to the Zen Micro without installing any drivers or other software. Big plus in my book. The other is that is sounds great from the earphone out. Not all MP3 players do, and personally I don't want to carry amps and docks in a (man)bag so I can get a decent sound out of a unit that already cost a few hundred bucks to start with. I think its sounds very close to my iPod Shuffle, and my HiMD.

you still have to install drivers, it's just that the player will show up as a drive in explorer. you still can't drag/drop music files over to it in linux, which is what true driverless support would allow you to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back