Creative Xmod
Jun 21, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #32 of 50
I ended up buying the Xmod!

I can tell you that the difference with my laptop internal sound card is incredible and now the sound is very similar to that of the Creative Zen Micro Photo.

The Crystalizer effect is nice but the result depends a lot on the quality of the mp3 and type of music as well.

The fact that it doesn't need any drivers is absolutely amazing.

Very happy!

Thanks for your feedback!

Jun 26, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #33 of 50
I have tried the Xmod and totally love what it does. I quickly found that the 3D enhancer made more harm than good for me, always leaves it off. The Chrystalizer was much more to my liking, if adjusted to the minimum position. Here I find that it does a very good job in cleaning up the sound, making it approach the sound of the original recordings in direct comparison. Not bad at all!

The headphone jack output doesn't sound very good though, much better results through line-out. I tested it with my main system and good speakers, also hooked it up to by Beyerdynamics DT250 via PA2V2.

Xmod can't do very much about distorted and badly clipped mp3's of course, maybe making them a little less unbearable if you really have to listen to stuff like that.

Compared to the integrated sound in typical laptops it is a huge improvement, IMO. I haven't heard very much of the distortions others are talking about, pops etc. Maybe it is because I don't use the headphone jack.

Jun 26, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #35 of 50
Just to be clear: my positive views on the Chrystalizer processing applies to lower quality mp3's primarily. For higher bitrate recordings it tends to exaggerate the ends of the spectrum and is better left deactivated, just as you say.

Jun 26, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #37 of 50
That thought crossed my mind as well, Jade. This thing should be just as portable as it looks.

It would be nice to have a ballpark figure about Xmods current draw to select reasonable cells (if feasible at all), anyone having a clue here?

Jun 26, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #38 of 50
Quote:

The USB specification provides a 5 V (volts) supply on a single wire from which connected USB devices may draw power. The specification provides for no more than 5.25 V and no less than 4.35 V between the +ve and -ve bus power lines. Initially, a device is only allowed to draw 100 mA. It may request more current from the upstream device in units of 100 mA up to a maximum of 500 mA.

WIKI-ClipI

the codec is reported to be AIC23B.

Jun 26, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #39 of 50
Thanks Jade, should have thought of that. I was a little discouraged from the spec for Creatives optional power supply, 1A @ 5V which gave me a higher indication. Around 100 mA wouldn't be a problem of course.

Jun 28, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #40 of 50
I did some more testing today, using more complex/intense input: Dimmu Borgir [In Sorte Diaboli, etc]. Now it is even more clear that the Xmod cannot project a descent soundstage on its own through the headphone jack, at least not with the Beyerdynamics 250-80. No headroom at all, everything becomes a compressed porridge. Maybe it works better with other cans.

It only takes an inexpensive amp like PA2V2 through line-out to change this into the deeply engaging sonic experience it was designed to be. Or, of course, a competent regular speaker setup but this is outside the scope of what we are discussing here in this forum I guess. If Xmod can deal so excellently with Dimmu Borgir it can deal with anything, IMO. I don't need to mention this but the testing material I used is not for everyone for sure
smily_headphones1.gif

I can't wait until I can compare the way it deals with my favourite classical works on CD with the good old CD player I use. Now if I could only find that external DVD burner unit I got with my laptop... those essential gadgets shouldn't be external in the first place! Damned.

Jun 28, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #41 of 50
i used to game in halo pc with my clan as ziplock
smily_headphones1.gif

i kept it fresh and it was in the bag

Jun 28, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #42 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by idiotekniQues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i used to game in halo pc with my clan as ziplock
smily_headphones1.gif

i kept it fresh and it was in the bag

That sounds fine.

What are the implications of your experience to what is discussed in this thread?

Please excuse my ignorance but your point escapes me. Maybe it is just language difficulties.

Jun 28, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #43 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That sounds fine.

What are the implications of your experience to what is discussed in this thread?

Please excuse my ignorance but your point escapes me. Maybe it is just language difficulties.

stop confusing your pompous self-important attitude with ignorance.

or you can keep talking and amuse the humans on the internet with your robotic inability to handle a small harmless digression of small talk without acting like a complete ass.

Jun 28, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #44 of 50
internet hiccup. double post.

see above.

Jun 28, 2007 at 11:51 AM Post #45 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by idiotekniQues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
internet hiccup. double post.

see above.

What is there to see?

Feel free to elaborate, maybe we can continue the conversation later on.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back