Creative Xmod
Aug 30, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #46 of 50
I agree with some of you (with the positive opinions)
This is my impression with the XMOD...
The Xmod is a very good external sound card or DSP/Dap (more of this than a soundcard. The noise is non-existent compared with the produced for my internal soundcard).
It add some good bass punch to my DT770pro Headphones and the highs are clear with the crystalizer on (in some songs. In others, i have to lesser the crystalizer effect because of the silibance that it can create with high bitrate songs (>192kbps) when connected the headphones to the Line out of the card. The bass speed increase and has more punch (more in the line out), but add some silibance to the sound (in high settings and is stronger with the amp..) when the CMSS-3D effect is enable and the volume of the song is high.

The built in amp in the headphone out is very weak, but when i connect the headphones to the line out, it drive well my DT770pro headphones (the amplification is 1.5x stronger) without a amp; as long as the source (the cable channel reception (in the TV) or the MP3 song) has enough volume.

When you connected the headphones to the headphone out port; the sound is clearer, spacious and refined but weak and the sibilance is not existant.
The soundstage is very good (especially with my DT990 headphones) with the CMSS-3D enable in medium-high to High setting (is nearly as a crossfeed in an amp (well i believe...)). The soundstage expansion depend of your headphones soundstage capabilities. It put the voices in the center (how if there is was a center channel), and the effects and instruments in the front left or front right.

In movies with multichannel audio, the voices are put in the center (in your face) and efects and music to be put in the front and rear channels and rear center. The emulation of a multispeaker system is great and exact.

This soundcard is compatible with any multichannel format (if the movie has it (Dolby Digital EX or DTS ES)), it adapt the channels to his correct position in the soundstage.
You need and external amp if you connect a headphone higher than 100 ohms, but you can connect your headphones in the Line out if the impedance is lower than 80 ohms without amplification and get loud levels (if the headphones are below 40 ohms in impedance).

The only problem that i had (i don't believe that to be for this source, because i had tested it with the internal soundcard and a stereo system and the problem is similar (see below)) is when i use this headphones with a PA2V2 amp connected to the sound card.
It add distortion to the bass in semi and loud volume songs that have some and heavy bass. When i hear to my MP3 songs (160 to 320 kbps).
Well this is my impression with my Xmod card
Sorry if i had some errors in the spell, but the english is no my native languaje.

PD: i have in another tread (Here) a more complete review about this card...

Nov 26, 2007 at 9:18 AM Post #47 of 50
Bringing up a slightly old-ish thread, but would the Xmod be a good purchase when used solely for experiencing surround sound in my headphones when watching movies on my iMac? I'd have a separate DAC + amp for music listening so I wouldn't need it for that purpose.

I'm also looking to purchase a dedicated gaming sound card for my PC. Would the surround emulation work well in games? If so, it'd save on two separate purchases.

Any comments/suggestions appreciated.

Nov 26, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #48 of 50
Xmod is stereo that can be expanded to surround
so in games it would not be as precise as 5.1 source.
But if you gonna use headphones then there is probably nothing better out there, for that money anyway.

Nov 26, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #49 of 50
Just some small notes here... Connecting to the line-out with CMSS3D engages CMSS3D Virtual algorithm whilst connecting to headphone-out engages CMSS3D Headphones algorithm.
Hitting the select 'button', followed by depressing both select and the volume knob resets all features to the default value.
For guys here facing clipping and distortion issues, have you tried lowering down the effects levels?

Jul 27, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #50 of 50
XMOD on sale now at creative.com - $29.99

I'm thinking to get this because of the sale price. I want to replace my latitude d630 internal audio with xmod.

What do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back