Creative Xmod
Jun 7, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #16 of 50
I have an Xmod. Listening with the Crystalizer or 3-D effects on for any length of time is difficult. If you're buying, and nearly everyone is, for those, don't. If however you see a sale, I did for $19, and you use it without the "enhancements," it can be okay. I use it at work.

Jun 7, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #17 of 50
WELL SORRY TO SAY BUT I LOVE THIS THING!
Perhaps my ears are not as seasoned as some of you but I really find this device makes the music come alive. I don't follow the line by some who commented that this is just a glorified eq because it is rather dynamic whereas an eq is a set and forget device. I truly believe after playing around with this thing for 5 hours and putting it through its paces that it really enhances the music without adding any artificial digital artifacts. It just works great and in a pair of Grados, it really shines.
Yes Grados sound great as they are but add this unit and the sound stage and SQ is amazing. I don't know how else to describe it. Music sounds quite flat without it.

The algorithm must be doing some interpolation and adding samples to increase the resolution of the music in an intelligent way and not random.
No digital artifacts that I can hear, just great to listen to.

I especially like it when listening to acoustic guitar. It brings life back into the music.

Jun 7, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #18 of 50
Well enjoy your xmod discovery just don't go and do something
like order a portable amp and use it out of the line out of the
thing I mean what good would that do?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 7, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #19 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by valveman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are in Canada. Where did you find one for $70? The cheapest I could find is $99 in Canada.

Anyway I just bought one. So far I like it :O) It really has improved the sound stage and the SQ. I'm currently trying it with my laptop and a pair of Grado SR80 headphones.
No digitization as I can tell so far. It is quite clear. It does mention in the manual that distorion may occur if you set-up the settings too high.

So far I like it.

You like it, good for you! Maybe it synerges well with your Grado's.

London Drugs had a sale for $70... I think. It was less than $90 for sure.

Jun 7, 2007 at 12:55 PM Post #20 of 50
Ziplock, do you know what DAC the xmod uses?

I do own the Xmod and to me it sounds okay without the effects but with effects on, the sound distorts even though it sounds groovier. Being an newb, I haven't listened to any proper amps yet though.

Jun 7, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #21 of 50
I’m considering buying a xmod and would like to have your opinion.

Here’s the thing, I listen to a lot of music every day, mainly MP3, while I’m working. Although I have a Zen Micro Photo I usually use my laptop directly.

Till now I was using Sennheiser PMX100 which I liked and the sound was okay, but unfortunately I started wearing eyeglasses while I’m at the computer, and these headphones don’t work well with eyeglasses. I was getting kinda tired of the constant heat on my ears as well…
tongue.gif

Because I’ve been flying a lot and using the Zen in a airplane with the standard earbuds is completely useless (I don’t even turn it on) I looked for some IEM stuff.

After reading a lot on the site (thanks guys) I decided to buy the Zen Aurvanas, I know there are a lot of mixed feelings regarding these headphones, but I got them here in Portugal for 63 €, half the cost of E2Cs around here, so I thought it was a good bet.

Well, together with the Zen Micro the sound is great, very happy.

But with the PC, the sound is awful, no bass what so ever, there are entire bass lines that simply aren’t there. I believe it’s because the PMX 100 have lots of bass that the difference is so big.

Do you think the xmod could be a good buy to improve the sound of the laptop? I'm thinking mainly as a substitute for the internal sound card.

Thanks!

Jun 7, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #22 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by ExoFrame /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here’s the thing, I listen to a lot of music every day, mainly MP3, while I’m working. Although I have a Zen Micro Photo I usually use my laptop directly.

Till now I was using Sennheiser PMX100 which I liked and the sound was okay, but unfortunately I started wearing eyeglasses while I’m at the computer, and these headphones don’t work well with eyeglasses. I was getting kinda tired of the constant heat on my ears as well…
tongue.gif

Because I’ve been flying a lot and using the Zen in a airplane with the standard earbuds is completely useless (I don’t even turn it on) I looked for some IEM stuff.

After reading a lot on the site (thanks guys) I decided to buy the Zen Aurvanas, I know there are a lot of mixed feelings regarding these headphones, but I got them here in Portugal for 63 €, half the cost of E2Cs around here, so I thought it was a good bet.

But with the PC, the sound is awful, no bass what so ever, there are entire bass lines that simply aren’t there. I believe it’s because the PMX 100 have lots of bass that the difference is so big.

Do you think the xmod could be a good buy to improve the sound of the laptop? I'm thinking mainly as a substitute for the internal sound card.

Thanks!

Personally, I think you would be better off with a PCMCIA soundcard than the xmod. For instance, you could get the audigy 2 zs notebook. This seems to be a decent buy for the money and runs for $50 shipped in the US. Or you could get an external USB sound card like the Audigy 2 NX. I got mine for 30 bucks...it shall be shipped soon. Those 2 sound cards would probably do a lot more for your sound than the xmod.

Jun 8, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #23 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by ExoFrame /img/forum/go_quote.gif

tongue.gif

Thanks!

Yes, listen to dealmaster and get another sound card instead. Needless to say, just make sure your laptop is one of the older one's that have PCMCIA, not the ExpressCard. You might also want to look at the M-Audio Transit.

Jun 8, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #24 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, listen to dealmaster and get another sound card instead. Needless to say, just make sure your laptop is one of the older one's that have PCMCIA, not the ExpressCard. You might also want to look at the M-Audio Transit.

Actually, Creative makes the X-Fi xtrememusic in ExpressCard, so if you have a newer laptop with that, you're not SOL.

http://www.creative.com/products/pro...&product=16642

Jun 8, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #25 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanufi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ziplock, do you know what DAC the xmod uses?

I do own the Xmod and to me it sounds okay without the effects but with effects on, the sound distorts even though it sounds groovier. Being an newb, I haven't listened to any proper amps yet though.

The DSP is the DAC... TMS320DA255

It would be fun to reverse engineer this puppy! I suppose you could program it to do other sound effects and what not. It does use JTAG over USB.. Hmm, the possibilities!

The first step would be getting a datasheet for the DSP. It's not available on TI's website because you have to sign a developers NDA before they give you access to the files.

~Zip

Jun 8, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #27 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by ziplock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DSP is the DAC... TMS320DA255

It would be fun to reverse engineer this puppy! I suppose you could program it to do other sound effects and what not. It does use JTAG over USB.. Hmm, the possibilities!

The first step would be getting a datasheet for the DSP. It's not available on TI's website because you have to sign a developers NDA before they give you access to the files.

~Zip

I was led to beleive that the Dac was a Texas Instruments AIC23B and
the Dsp was the TMS320. Anyways to the poster asking about
using it for laptop sound I would have to say that if you are
looking for more bass you may be better served getting an
amp that includes a bass enhancement device and a cheap
turtlebeach usb sound stick you could probably swing both
for not much more than what the x-mod retails for.

Jun 8, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #29 of 50
Hi,

This is my first post after a long absence from this hobby. Cmoy reported at Headwize on my Morgan Jones amp years ago. Since then, I have built many amps,but what I care a lot is have the headphones sound more like speakers. I loved my Sennheiser DSP Pro amp module, because it could get two things right: tonal balance and out of head imaging. As such, the Xmod does a similarly good job, which is why I like the Xmod a lot, too. I hardly use the crystallizer feature, but the CMSS 3D effect is almost always on. There are a couple of clear deficiencies of the Xmod:

- the line in is not as good as the usb input. I assume this is because it has to go through another A/D step.
- inside the chip, it appears the 5V usb power is regulated down to 3.6V, which limits the headphone amp output. Therefore, there should be more potential feeding another headphone amp from the Xmod line out. I have yet to try that, as I am still enjoying it as is.

Someday, I might take it apart and integrate it as part of an amp. The volume control is a joy to use when hooked up to a laptop. Right now, I am enjoying the compact size and as an alternative to the built in sound card in my laptop.

The tonal balance of the Xmod is not nearly as good as the DSP pro, but it definitely adds space to the sound. While the images are not in front of me like a usual speaker system, it is no longer confined inside my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back