creative x-mod or musiland lilo v joy external sound card
Jun 14, 2010 at 7:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ravin

New Head-Fier
hi
which one should i consider between creative x-mod and musiland lilo v joy sound cards?
i will be using it mainly for music and movies.
i previously had asus xonar dx which i don't like that much and sold it.
i have a 2.1 altec lansing desktop speakers.
music i listened to ranges from power-heavy-progressive-death metal to modern rock, no hip hops for me..
thanks in advance :)

Jun 14, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
hi
which one should i consider between creative x-mod and musiland lilo v joy sound cards?
i will be using it mainly for music and movies.
i previously had asus xonar dx which i don't like that much and sold it.
i have a 2.1 altec lansing desktop speakers.
music i listened to ranges from power-heavy-progressive-death metal to modern rock, no hip hops for me..
thanks in advance :)

Uhhh, the X-mod is worse reviewed than the Xonar DX.  I haven't heard anything about the V-Joy.  Expand your searches to include external DAC/Amp combo units, such as the uDAC, Audinst, Zero DAC, etc.

Along with this, the sound will only sound as good at both your source and endpoint.  Spend on your speakers before buying a DAC/Amp, and make sure you have lossless files (or equiv to your ears) with a 'bitperfect' set media player.

Jun 15, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
Uhhh, the X-mod is worse reviewed than the Xonar DX.  I haven't heard anything about the V-Joy.  Expand your searches to include external DAC/Amp combo units, such as the uDAC, Audinst, Zero DAC, etc.

Along with this, the sound will only sound as good at both your source and endpoint.  Spend on your speakers before buying a DAC/Amp, and make sure you have lossless files (or equiv to your ears) with a 'bitperfect' set media player.

thanks for reply dude, although as much as i'd love to have the uDAC, its availability in india is very low.
and what is bitperfect media player?sorry for my noobness, im using foobar2000 and winamp..so?

Jun 15, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
thanks for reply dude, although as much as i'd love to have the uDAC, its availability in india is very low.
and what is bitperfect media player?sorry for my noobness, im using foobar2000 and winamp..so?

You could buy a uDAC from our FS forums with Paypal and a credit card.  Cheaper than retail, and shipped to your door.  (If you can find someone willing to ship overseas, though.)

Foobar and Winamp are both capable players.  Just add a WASAPI output plugin/component (if you're on Windows Vista/7), and you're set to go, bitperfect.

Again, though.  I'd suggest you put some cash into your speakers and/or headphones before you look into better sources.  Or else I think you'll be disappointed no matter what you get.

Jun 15, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
ok then can you suggest me some quality speakers?
if possible a 5.1 system with very good sound quality and good bass.
budget: $300 - $500.

I'm not the one to look towards for speakers (I'm a headphone kinda guy).  Perhaps starting a new thread, or looking elsewhere for 5.1 system suggestions.  Do note that you'll probably need a receiver if you want anything but 'PC-Ready' 5.1 systems.  I also know a fair few people who use the Z-5500 with good results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back