Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 (SB1090) - Anyone with gaming experience?
Nov 6, 2013 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

PraetorXyn

New Head-Fier
Does anyone have experience using this device for gaming?

This is the non Pro version, and it is supposed to have virtual CMSS 3D and OpenAL support (not hardware accelerated, but this is the best I could find on an external sound card for a laptop).

I was just wondering if the CMSS 3D is good enough to bother with.

The setup I have planned for it is:
Laptop > Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 (S/PDIF out, Passthrough) > Audio GD 11.32 S/PDIF in > AKG K702 Annies.

This way I'll completely bypass the amp and DAC in the Creative unit and use it to pass CMSS 3D and EAX to my NAF 11.32.

For music I'll just leave the creative unit out and use ASIO in foobar2000.

Nov 7, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #2 of 2
  Does anyone have experience using this device for gaming?
This is the non Pro version, and it is supposed to have virtual CMSS 3D and OpenAL support (not hardware accelerated, but this is the best I could find on an external sound card for a laptop).
I was just wondering if the CMSS 3D is good enough to bother with.
The setup I have planned for it is:
Laptop > Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 (S/PDIF out, Passthrough) > Audio GD 11.32 S/PDIF in > AKG K702 Annies.
This way I'll completely bypass the amp and DAC in the Creative unit and use it to pass CMSS 3D and EAX to my NAF 11.32.
For music I'll just leave the creative unit out and use ASIO in foobar2000.

You really do not have much of a choice anyway, when it comes to gaming with a laptop, using USB for gaming audio.
If you where to switch from the Surround 5.1, then the Creative Omni 5.1 USB sound card might be an upgrade.

My NFB-15.32 arrived two weeks ago, does make all my headphones sound nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back