Creative ways to block EMF Radiation?
Nov 17, 2020 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

pjones5

100+ Head-Fier
My two favorite pieces of gear are the ifi Hip DAC and FiiO Q3. It just so happens they also handle interference from my cell phone terribly. I can't really afford to listen with airplane mode on because I use my phone for work. So... does anyone have any creative ways of blocking the EMF Radiation? I'm tempted to purchase some Faraday tape and maybe wrapping the DACs. Not super keen on that though as it wouldn't be the most attractive way of handling it.

Nov 17, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #3 of 10
https://emfclothing.com/en/emf-shielding-wall-covering/21-emf-rf-shielding-wallpaper-large-roll.html

https://www.lessemf.com/

Paper or put your equipment into a small desktop safe.
3E5E3AD8-FCA5-4A81-A7C9-DD36FAE3507C.jpeg

My power cables are paper wrapped.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #4 of 10
Nov 18, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #5 of 10
Did you wrap them yourself?

I don't think the safe would work because the purpose would be to provide some EMF shielding while using the DAC/amp stacked with my phone.

I did not wrap them myself, though people do.

A number of power cords come wrapped. I’m not sure how much is real and how much is marketing. Though in my time here I have read lots of stories. Though most stories were about power lines having issues, like dirty power coming into the house. Obviously too, there are stories of some DAPs getting noisy like if they are near a phone. I was on a huge USB noise kick, trying to reduce USB noise. I’m a believer in USB being effected. But as far as wrapping power cords with EMF reducing paper, I probably would not search out paper to do it. I do know now that we live at a time when there are many options. EMF wallpaper, also they sell sheets of EMF paper at small shops for people to wrap stuff. The effects seem to be more appliance focused. Meaning different applications seem to be more open for interference. Probably the only thing that I have that is supposed to be EMF casework is the case of the Walkman 1Z which is all copper?

But you could experiment with small cases and eventually may come up with something that you can actually hear and always hear an improvement on. I did notice a difference putting an aluminum case DAP in the small safe, but it could be placebo too. Anything you do to increase sound quality can be mistaken for actually working when it does not. The safe theory is that it must work, though in reality it would probably only be noticed in extreme situations?

A guy here named Patrick 82 made a number of performance videos making fun of EMF paper in use by audiophiles.

They were entertaining and performance art, but done in such a way as many believed them as real. It’s a form of psychology where believers will believe even though the subject is in reality 100% fake. Patrick 82 was eventually banned and went on his way to even bigger power cords.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ers-paper-picture-and-video-thread.203032/page-17

Cheers!

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/famous-quotes-by-patrick82.210323/

B8B5521B-0FCD-4D0E-934B-7521C40DAB76.jpeg
4592F646-9E83-4DAF-902E-432BE40569A7.png

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #7 of 10
My two favorite pieces of gear are the ifi Hip DAC and FiiO Q3. It just so happens they also handle interference from my cell phone terribly. I can't really afford to listen with airplane mode on because I use my phone for work. So... does anyone have any creative ways of blocking the EMF Radiation? I'm tempted to purchase some Faraday tape and maybe wrapping the DACs. Not super keen on that though as it wouldn't be the most attractive way of handling it.
https://shop.oyaide.com/products/p-3976.html

Oyaide MW-010T

Its a very thin tape that appears to have sendust imbedded in it. Word of caution, it is magnetic and conductive. I have been playing with it and it works extremely well. It is quite powerful though, too much and it will kill bass and liveliness in the music.

Jan 18, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #8 of 10
https://shop.oyaide.com/products/p-3976.html

Oyaide MW-010T

Its a very thin tape that appears to have sendust imbedded in it. Word of caution, it is magnetic and conductive. I have been playing with it and it works extremely well. It is quite powerful though, too much and it will kill bass and liveliness in the music.
Yeah, it'll also ruin any IEMs with a BA in it!

Jan 18, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #9 of 10
Yeah, it'll also ruin any IEMs with a BA in it!
Simple problem to avoid, don't put it inside the iem lol.

Maybe a tiny sliver around the wires might help, but it could kill some of the sound. Have to experiment with the amount.

Started out with this amount. The emi tape is the silvery piece near the 3 gold dots. Found this was waaaaaaaayyy too much and that spot was too sensitive, it was also messing with the bluetooth connection. The other tape is fo.q phone art vibration absorbing tape.

IMG_20220116_222825.jpg

Ended up trimming it down to this amount and moving it here, which still killed a bit of bass but made it cleaner and more resolving which I was willing to compromise with. And it didn't affect the bluetooth connection at this spot.
IMG_20220118_012724.jpg

Jan 23, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #10 of 10
They make bags out of Faraday cloth that are pouch sized with lining. Seems easiest to get one as a case for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back