Creative Sound BlasterX G5 USB DAC/Amp with 7.1 SBX Pro Studio
Dec 19, 2015 at 2:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

TenMoonsNorth

100+ Head-Fier
This is the dedicated thread for the SoundBlasterX G5 and it's in the correct subforum.

Other Creative Threads:

Sound Blaster Z Internal Soundcards

Sound Blaster E Series

Sound Blaster X7

General Sound BlasterX G5 discussion in the Video Games Discussion subforum

Creative Sound BlasterX G5 On The Creative Site

Promo Code: BLASTG5 currently works on the Creative store giving a $40 discount. It will also give a discount of €40 and £40 in the UK. It will likely work in other countries in their local currencies.

Current price of the G5 on the Creative store without discount:

1. $149.99
  2. €149.99
  3. £129.99

I expect the G5 will likely end up selling for around the discount price within a few months.

Creative need to release specifications with more detail. Specifically, the power output into 32Ω, 300Ω and 600Ω and the maximum voltage and current output.

Both the E5 and G5 have an output impedance of 2.2Ω

Sound Blaster Z has an output impedance of 22Ω and the ZXR has an output impedance of 39Ω. The X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro has an output impedance of 11Ω. The X-Fi Titanium HD has an output impedance of 35Ω. The Asus Xonar Essence STX has an output impedance of 10Ω.

Creative E5 Power Output - Source

1. 32Ω - ~1.84V, 105mW (Low Gain)
  2. 300Ω - ~ 1.78V, 109 mW (High Gain)
  3. 600Ω - ~ 5.72V, 54mW (High Gain)
  4. Headphone Output Impedance 2.2Ω

It's not the best info but is something. I'd like to know maximum power output into 32Ω on high gain as there are quite a few low sensitivity, low impedance headphones.

Differences between the Creative E5 and G5:

The E5 has a 3200mAh battery, supports bluetooth including AptX Low Latency and a built in microphone but doesn't support 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound.

The G5 doesn't have a battery, support bluetooth or have a built-in microphone but does support 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound on PC only.

The Sound Blaster X7 doesn't support 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound but does support 5.1 Virtual Surround Sound.

Important things to note:

1. The G5 and E5 CANNOT decode Dolby Digital. This means that you cannot get 5.1/7.1 Virtual Surround Sound on consoles.
  2. The G5 works as a Stereo USB DAC when connected to the PS4. On the Xbox One you should use Optical Input for Stereo audio. You can only get Stereo on consoles.

If you want Virtual Surround Sound on consoles then get an Astro Mixamp, Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS2 or Sound Blaster X7. The Mixamp and Ear Force use Dolby Headphone. Dolby Headphone 7.1 is only 5.1 upmixed and not true 7.1. The Sound Blaster X7 can decode Dolby Digital so you can get 5.1 Virtual Surround Sound SBX Pro Studio on consoles with that.
  3. The headphone input on the left of the G5 supports TRRS Headphone + Mic combos.
  4. You can use the Line Out on the G5 so it acts just as a DAC.
  5. Virtual Surround Sound Processed Audio can be sent over the Optical Output. VSS processed audio is Stereo because it's meant to be used with Headphones.
  6. The G5 really shouldn't exist. If Creative did their jobs properly the E5 would support 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound and Dolby Digital Decoding. The X7 would support 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound as well.

Dec 19, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #2 of 5
I've filed a form to return my G5. The sound quality is clearly better than my Mixamp but playing games without Dolby after using the Mixamp just doesn't feel right and feels empty.

Dec 19, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #3 of 5
Originally Posted by DagsJT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've filed a form to return my G5. The sound quality is clearly better than my Mixamp but playing games without Dolby after using the Mixamp just doesn't feel right and feels empty.

That's just the differences between Dolby Headphone and SBX Pro Studio. I don't really like Dolby Headphone for gaming due to the room reverberation which sounds very odd with games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back