Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Dec 18, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #3,406 of 3,608
A few things off the top of my head, mostly just design enhancements

-A better volume knob that actually has a physical range of adjustment. I think the X7 is just plastic. A heavy metal knob would be nice.

-More space for op amps and still be able to use the stock dust cover

-SX Fi and SBX

-More sturdy headphone stand

-Stackable

Dec 18, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #3,408 of 3,608
Hey all, Creative caught wind of a tweet I'm in and when I said I'd love to see a V2 of the X7, they asked what I would like to see in such a thing. I couldn't think of a whole lot, so I thought I'd tap this thread since it's still going on so many years after this product was released. Here's the tweet. If you have Twitter, feel free to pile on what you'd like to see in a Soundblaster X7 V2. :)

https://twitter.com/CreativeLabs/status/1207125842549043202?
I don't have twitter so somebody else would have to post this but:
  • Builtin support for game/chat balance without using bt-w2
  • Hdmi multichannel input instead of optical
  • Support for 7.1 lpcm
  • Real remote instead of pos android app
  • Pc control panel that is not cancer
  • Analog volume control with motorized potentiometer instead of digital volume control
  • All configuration available via front panel buttons and knobs instead of software control panel
  • Linux driver

Dec 18, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #3,409 of 3,608
I gave up on X7 and sold it and my Sparkos as a result. Now back to Sennheiser GSX 1200, due to (for me) better virtualization and waiting if true 3D Positional Audio (not mere multichannel virtualization) takes off with Dolby Atmos. Time will tell. The PC 3D audio into headphones field is pretty dead, and the SXFi from Creative was not the revolution they touted it to be (imho).

Dec 23, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #3,412 of 3,608
This might be a long shot but I don't want to risk frying my X7 if there is an easier way. Has anybody checked whether X7's digital i/o works without the opamps plugged in? I only need it for vss optical out and I lent all my dual opamps to a friend.

Dec 24, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #3,413 of 3,608
I just made the jump from Fostex TH-X00 to Denon AH-D9200 headphones and would like to upgrade my DAC / amp combo as well, as I feel like my X7 is keeping these headphones from reaching their full capabilities. However, since I'm spending a lot of time gaming as well, I'd like to still be able to use the DSP's virtual surround capabilities.
Can I use the X7's SBX DSP features when using the S/PDIF output to connect a dedicated DAC and amp? Are there any quality limitations going that route (other than the 24bit/96khz limitation whenever the SBX DSP is switched on)? In other words: Using the S/PDIF output, when I've got the SBX DSP switched off (and direct mode on), would the X7 be bypassed completely in that setup without affecting sound quality?

EDIT: I just contacted Creative and asked them whether I could do swap my X7 for the smaller X3 and use that as a DSP only, hooking up the S/PDIF output to an external DAC, and was informed that using the S/PDIF output would limit audio resolution to 16-bit, 48khz.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #3,414 of 3,608
This might be a long shot but I don't want to risk frying my X7 if there is an easier way. Has anybody checked whether X7's digital i/o works without the opamps plugged in? I only need it for vss optical out and I lent all my dual opamps to a friend.

I just got some Sparkos today for my X7, put them in and a few hours later we had an accident in the garage with our neighbors doing some welding that caused a short and blew my Window AC unit and X7.
I didn't think to try this until I read your message in this thread, but since I got nothing to loose with a dead X7 give me a minute to check if optical in/out still works.

Sucess! Optical-in and optical-out still works, AND works without opamps installed.

Since I had the Sparkos installed when it died, if I put them back in I get static. Seems like the opamps aren't being used by optical path, but optical and analog are output at the same time when as I get constant static with opamps installed BUT I can also hear the optical audio.
Then again I could always mute & disable X7's "Optical-In" in the "recording" tab in Windows 10 which did nothing (only muting Optical-in "Mixer" tab or "levels" tab in X7 Speaker Properties would actually mute optical in. Even with the PC OFF it would still come through)

Hope this helps.

Dec 28, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #3,415 of 3,608
I just made the jump from Fostex TH-X00 to Denon AH-D9200 headphones and would like to upgrade my DAC / amp combo as well, as I feel like my X7 is keeping these headphones from reaching their full capabilities. However, since I'm spending a lot of time gaming as well, I'd like to still be able to use the DSP's virtual surround capabilities.
Can I use the X7's SBX DSP features when using the S/PDIF output to connect a dedicated DAC and amp? Are there any quality limitations going that route (other than the 24bit/96khz limitation whenever the SBX DSP is switched on)? In other words: Using the S/PDIF output, when I've got the SBX DSP switched off (and direct mode on), would the X7 be bypassed completely in that setup without affecting sound quality?

EDIT: I just contacted Creative and asked them whether I could do swap my X7 for the smaller X3 and use that as a DSP only, hooking up the S/PDIF output to an external DAC, and was informed that using the S/PDIF output would limit audio resolution to 16-bit, 48khz.
Yes, no, no. X7 would still resample your input to 48khz (resampling is disabled only in Direct Mode which in turn, disables s/pdif output). The way I used to solve this problem is to have the music dac connected via usb to pc and via optical to output of X7 and then I'd set my music player to use the usb input of the dac

Dec 29, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #3,416 of 3,608
Yes, no, no. X7 would still resample your input to 48khz (resampling is disabled only in Direct Mode which in turn, disables s/pdif output). The way I used to solve this problem is to have the music dac connected via usb to pc and via optical to output of X7 and then I'd set my music player to use the usb input of the dac

I'm not quite sure I'm getting this right. Could you rephrase on how your setup looks exactly? PC > (USB) > DAC ...?
I'm not sure I understand how your X7's DSP is modifying the sound if your PC is directly hooked up to your DAC via USB.
EDIT: Ah, I think I got you now. You're switching your PC's output depending on whether you listen to music or play games (f.e.), so you're completely bypassing the X7 when you're listening to music?

Thank you for clarifying! : )

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #3,417 of 3,608
I'm not quite sure I'm getting this right. Could you rephrase on how your setup looks exactly? PC > (USB) > DAC ...?
I'm not sure I understand how your X7's DSP is modifying the sound if your PC is directly hooked up to your DAC via USB.
EDIT: Ah, I think I got you now. You're switching your PC's output depending on whether you listen to music or play games (f.e.), so you're completely bypassing the X7 when you're listening to music?

Thank you for clarifying! : )
PC > USB > DAC for music
PC > USB > X7 > optical > dac for games
I select X7 as primary output on PC so browser/games/etc is routed to the X7 and then I select the dac within the music player as output

Jan 2, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #3,418 of 3,608
Thanks for your response! Indeed, using a dummy plug would be a valid workaround. Did somebody figure out if it is a defective device, or it's all about the software being used? I just cannot describe how ridiculous it is to sell a device within that price range while the user has to insert a dummy plug if he doesn't want his ears to bleed...

Been a while since I've posted here but was there ever a work around for this?

Happened on windows 7 and now my new windows 10 pc every time I restart the mic monitoring is at max and the amp volume is at max which makes my ears bleed way too often.

Is there any setting in Windows I can edit to stop this occurring?

Jan 2, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #3,419 of 3,608
Been a while since I've posted here but was there ever a work around for this?

Happened on windows 7 and now my new windows 10 pc every time I restart the mic monitoring is at max and the amp volume is at max which makes my ears bleed way too often.

Is there any setting in Windows I can edit to stop this occurring?

I don't know what the root cause is, but hasn't happened to me in awhile. What I've done is disable any other audio device in windows. Disable onboard audio, any monitors that might be using HDMI audio input, etc. Haven't had an incident since I've done this. I also try to not turn the X7 on while any music or videos are playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back