Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Apr 22, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #2,536 of 3,608
Finally got my system setup properly :D

PC => X7

X7 => HD700's direct with ModMic, HE400i's  with modmic (modmic's can be swapped to any of the other cans if needed)
X7 => RS185 wireless via RCA => wireless headphones (have 2 sets paired to the base stations (185 and 175)
X7 => HDVD800 via Optical - 4 outputs (2 balanced, 2 1/4 inch) => whatever higher end or harder to drive cans I want to listen to at the time.(HDVD800 also connected straight to the PC via USB)

All in all I can have 8 sets of headphones playing simultaneously for S&G's through the X7

Apr 24, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #2,537 of 3,608
The crackling sound I'm getting from the right channel is persisting. I know it is coming from the X7 - whenever I hear it, I hit the mute key on my keyboard which only affects the optical output on my main PC. If it was a power interference issue it wouldn't it affect both speaker channels instead of just one? I hear the Burson op-amps are a bit sensitive to power noise issues.

Addendum: I nailed the problem, I swapped the Burson single op-amps:  it appears they are the cause of the sporadic crackle on the right channel, and might be defective in some way. The Burson doubles are fine, I had them before I got the singles.

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #2,538 of 3,608
The crackling sound I'm getting from the right channel is persisting. I know it is coming from the X7 - whenever I hear it, I hit the mute key on my keyboard which only affects the optical output on my main PC. If it was a power interference issue it wouldn't it affect both speaker channels instead of just one? I hear the Burson op-amps are a bit sensitive to power noise issues.

Addendum: I nailed the problem, I swapped the Burson single op-amps:  it appears they are the cause of the sporadic crackle on the right channel, and might be defective in some way. The Burson doubles are fine, I had them before I got the singles.

I had the same experience. You can contact them for a refund.

Apr 24, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #2,539 of 3,608
Can someone help? As I'm close to tearing my hair out...

I received my X7 last Thursday, everything is absolutely fine. However I can't seem to get an optical cable to fit. I have one that fits, however it's a rather short optical cable and I need a longer one; I've ordered three off Amazon and none of them fit properly. They fit, but they don't click. Whereas the short cable clicks into place and it feels secure.

Has anyone else had an issue with optical cables? Do I have a defective unit?

And yes, I've taken off the protective, plastic caps off the ends of the optical cable :p

I just don't understand how one cable can fit, yet others can't.

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #2,540 of 3,608
Well the Burson singles are out, i'm back to the OPA827 now: which don't sound that great with the Burson doubles - so I took them out and now i'm using the stock NJM2114D again. Perhaps I should go full Sparkos next..

Quote:
 They fit, but they don't click. Whereas the short cable clicks into place and it feels secure.

My optical cable doesn't really click in as tightly as it used to, and i'm not using a cheap cable either - but it is still held with enough force to keep it in the socket. I think this is more of an interface connect design issue than anything indicative of hardware malfunction.

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #2,541 of 3,608
Can someone help? As I'm close to tearing my hair out...

I received my X7 last Thursday, everything is absolutely fine. However I can't seem to get an optical cable to fit. I have one that fits, however it's a rather short optical cable and I need a longer one; I've ordered three off Amazon and none of them fit properly. They fit, but they don't click. Whereas the short cable clicks into place and it feels secure.

And yes, I've taken off the protective, plastic caps off the ends of the optical cable :p

I just don't understand how one cable can fit, yet others can't.

The X7 much prefers slim profile cables. I have a thick Monoprice cable that always gave me trouble with my first unit.

May 2, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #2,542 of 3,608
Is the App only usable via PC or via mobile phone too? At the moment I don't use any PC and would use the soundblaster mainly for the Xbox One and TV.

Is this Soundblaster even a good choice for Music, Films and Console Games or does other classic Hifi Brands provides better packages for the same prize?

May 3, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #2,544 of 3,608
simply check the headphone surround for line/optical out in the Soundblaster app - and plug the other amp/dac into either the optical out or line out RCA's on the X7.

Last edited:
May 3, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #2,545 of 3,608
I believe this was gone over at some point, but I do not recall.
My X7 simply doesn't turn on, I've checked all connections, swapped cables, power sources etc. Doing a factory reset has no effect, but I could have sworn someone remedied this problem some time ago.

May 4, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #2,547 of 3,608
i'm still using the standard power supply - I have an upgraded one coming from creative on the way. The Klipsch RP-160M speakers i'm using are pretty sensitive: 96Db 1w@ 1m at 8ohms* the creative X7 has more than enough power to hit reference levels of volume cleanly with a fair degree of dynamic headroom. On paper at 8 ohms there isn't much difference in amplifier output between the upgrade and standard supply - but curiosity got the better of me: I'll find out soon enough.

* this is of course from the klipsch literature, the actual speaker sensitivity may be about -/+1.5db but considering the history of klipsch, they fudge this spec less than other manufacturers. Personally i'm inclined to agree at 50% volume [roughly 10w] these speakers get thunderously loud...but not shouty. They have plenty of steam in them, the max continuous power handling for the Klipsch RP-160M is 100W - I wouldn't want to be 1m away from them with that kind of power running through them.

Last edited:
May 4, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #2,548 of 3,608
If you want to run speakers from the X7, they need to be efficient. I would personally look for something @92 DB or higher. Klipsch is a brand that is highly efficient, but there are others. Speaker size isn't always a good indicator of efficiency. I've owned large speakers with 99 DB efficiency.

May 4, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #2,549 of 3,608
Thanks guys, that's pretty good food for thought. I might have to do a bit more reading and get a better idea as to which speakers suit. Keep the ideas coming!

*Also, I should add, this is for a desktop computer audio setup, so speakers that suit a nearfield setup would be best for me.

Cheers,
Ed

May 4, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #2,550 of 3,608
Then I would recommend you look into the following speakers

Passive speakers - if you intend to power speakers from the X7 5 way binding posts, preferably using banana plugs.

Klipsch RP150M - the RP160Ms smaller brother. i'm talking 2" smaller in every dimension, even then they are still big.
Monitor Audio Bronze 1&2
Chane A1rx-c [ now referred to as the A-1.4]
Wharfdale Diamond 220 the Diamond 10.1 are worth a look too.
JBL Studio 230
JBL Studio 530

Active powered speakers, these have a built in amp, so the amp of the X7 won't be doing any heavy lifting.
Vanatoo Transparent one - the transparent zero is worth a look too from what I hear.
Yamaha HS5 or 7 -[ FYI these are studio monitors].
Emotiva Airmotiv 6

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back