Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Jul 30, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #1,906 of 3,608
  FWIW, I just plugged the X7 into a USB 3.0 port and all crackling and popping vanished

Due to different max power output USB 3.0 ports usually have power circuits separate from USB 2.0 ports. Does that crackling happens if the X7 is the only USB device connected?

Jul 30, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #1,907 of 3,608
I can try it as a solo USB 2.0 device, I'll edit this post later today with the results. In case anyone is wondering, I'm using the Asus Maximus VI hero.

EDIT: Still get about 3 crack/pops with 2.0 as the only device plugged in. With USB 3.0, and headphones plugged in, 1 click sound, the same as when you go into X7 control app and change from speakers to headphones or vice versa. With USB 3.0 and no headphones plugged in, no clicks on startup. It looks like the X7 defaults into speakers mode on startup, and then one click sound occurs when it recognizes and switches into headphone mode. This makes sense to me, and hopefully others can confirm this.

This is with a hard on/off cycle with the X7. I am going to now see what happens when you shut down the PC, but do not turn off the X7 and instead let it go into its standby? mode.

Jul 31, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #1,908 of 3,608
I can try it as a solo USB 2.0 device, I'll edit this post later today with the results. In case anyone is wondering, I'm using the Asus Maximus VI hero.

EDIT: Still get about 3 crack/pops with 2.0 as the only device plugged in. With USB 3.0, and headphones plugged in, 1 click sound, the same as when you go into X7 control app and change from speakers to headphones or vice versa. With USB 3.0 and no headphones plugged in, no clicks on startup. It looks like the X7 defaults into speakers mode on startup, and then one click sound occurs when it recognizes and switches into headphone mode. This makes sense to me, and hopefully others can confirm this.

This is with a hard on/off cycle with the X7. I am going to now see what happens when you shut down the PC, but do not turn off the X7 and instead let it go into its standby? mode.

Wait, now I get it. Does the crackling noise seem to originate from inside of the X7 itself and not from the speakers/headphones? If yes, then it's one of the hardware switches inside of the X7. Switching between headphones/speakers, enabling Direct Mode and powering on/off the device will trigger that sound. This is normal.

Jul 31, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #1,911 of 3,608
Going to keep using the USB 3.0 port to avoid any other variables right now. So it looks like if I shut down the PC the X7 will go into standby mode and click back to speakers when it does, really weird. Right now, it looks like no matter if you shut the X7 down by hand or let it go to sleep, it will not remember the headphones being in and will click back to headphones if they're plugged in upon wake up/ turn on. That's a little disappointing news for sure.

Jul 31, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #1,912 of 3,608
Going to keep using the USB 3.0 port to avoid any other variables right now. So it looks like if I shut down the PC the X7 will go into standby mode and click back to speakers when it does, really weird. Right now, it looks like no matter if you shut the X7 down by hand or let it go to sleep, it will not remember the headphones being in and will click back to headphones if they're plugged in upon wake up/ turn on. That's a little disappointing news for sure.

Updated with latest firmware? I believe this was a problem with earlier firmware (not detecting headphones).

Jul 31, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #1,913 of 3,608
Updated with latest firmware? I believe this was a problem with earlier firmware (not detecting headphones).

If the latest firmware is the one on their website here, then yep. I think I read somewhere in this or the other X7 thread that sometimes the newest firmware updates don't show up on the site and you have to look elsewhere but I don't know i that's true.

Aug 1, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #1,914 of 3,608
The V5i singles op-amps review is up! You can read it here.
Yes, it was all done on purpose.

Aug 7, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #1,917 of 3,608
Hello,

Just wondering, on my computer I control X7 sound output through Windows - is this a normal behavior (im not bypassing amp, am I)? X7 is connected through USB...

Thanks!

X7 uses digital volume control which is tied to system sound. Everything works as expected.

Aug 9, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #1,919 of 3,608
Anyone having trouble playing music over their iPhone (model: 6S) running the latest iOS (9.3.4)?  My iPad Air 2 works perfectly via bluetooth, but while my iPhone will connect, it won't play music.  The iPhone will work with a variety of other bluetooth speakers, my car, etc.

EDIT: it took a full wipe, but it finally works. What a pain.

Aug 10, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #1,920 of 3,608
EDIT: it took a full wipe, but it finally works. What a pain.

Huh, the iPad connected with Bluetooth to the X7, the iPhone connected but wouldn't play yet would connect to everything else? Weird. I suppose you tried telling the phone to forget the X7 and do the pairing process again. I haven't updated my phone yet, I'll let you know if I have a similar issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back