Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Jul 25, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #1,891 of 3,608
Hi new on this forum.  I bought the X7 last week based on the quality of @earfonia's review.  Been a soundblaster user since the beginning with the soundblaster 2.0 some 22 years ago and pretty much used every generation since then.  Love the soundcard / headphone amp / AV receiver  / BT speaker concept of this sandblaster BUT...

is anyone else still experiencing unacceptably slow performance with the iOS remote control app?  I notice complaints from last year in this thread.. and mention of a couple of updated versions being released... but my app is taking anywhere from 15-60s to read the status of the X7 or change volume / sources etc.  In other words, it's unusable.  And since this device is so dependant on the control panel as @earphonia originally said - BUT the X7 only spends some of it's time connected to the PC source, then it's ability to act as an AV receiver is severely compromised in the practicality stakes.

Has the issue being resolved?  Is my unit defective and I should be looking for RMA from Creative?

Jul 25, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #1,892 of 3,608
Update the X7 firmware and the app. Should help, uf only a little.

Jul 25, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #1,893 of 3,608
Even after updating firmware, it's still terribly slow to configure by Bluetooth. It's the only hiccup that I experience, so I have learned to live with the lag, or just connect via long lightning cable to make tweaks.

Jul 26, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #1,895 of 3,608
Thanks for the responses.

I did update the firmware and the app is obviously the latest one downloaded form the app store.  It's looking like you guys have learnt to live without the app.

I use the X7 in the living room, and a long lightning cable / USB extension is not for me.  I have logged a call with Creative, let's see what they say.

Hope DigitalRonyn can comment here on what the status of the iOS remote control is.  As far as I'm concerned, X7 is not operating as advertised and should be eligible for warranty replacement / refund.

Jul 29, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #1,897 of 3,608
Do you have Power Management/Energy Saving on for the corresponding USB Root Hub?

Deactivate it.

Jul 30, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #1,899 of 3,608
Thanks for the responses.

I did update the firmware and the app is obviously the latest one downloaded form the app store.  It's looking like you guys have learnt to live without the app.

I use the X7 in the living room, and a long lightning cable / USB extension is not for me.  I have logged a call with Creative, let's see what they say.

Hope DigitalRonyn can comment here on what the status of the iOS remote control is.  As far as I'm concerned, X7 is not operating as advertised and should be eligible for warranty replacement / refund.

I don't constantly fiddle with the volume, so yeah I've learned to live with waiting 2 seconds when I first start a game or movie, and leave it set for the next few hours. I also don't watch TV (with loud commercials), so I don't have to deal with sudden volume changes, but if I did I would use the smart volume feature. Totally a non-issue for me.

Jul 30, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #1,900 of 3,608

Nope, not active. Every time I turn on the PC the next day, I hear this loud crack and pop a minute after I turn on the computer.

Try the Jitterbug, might help. I'm considering buying one for myself for the exact same reason.

Jul 30, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #1,902 of 3,608
Mine cracks & pops when turning on & off, nothing major that I felt it was going to ruining my EM-U's or HP. All my sound cards did tbh.

You might be experiencing dirty power issues. Try a different USB controller (controller, not port), or a power cleaning solution such as Jitterbug or Schiit Wyrd.

Jul 30, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #1,903 of 3,608
I can live with it cracking and popping if it happens to everyone's unit when starting up the PC. I had a buddy's X7 for a day or two and I don't remember it doing the same thing but it was a long time ago and I wanted to make sure I didn't get a defective unit.

I might try the wyrd, but I'm not to keen on being the Guinea pig lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back