Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Jan 2, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #1,306 of 3,608

Line Input
Line input uses Burr-Brown PCM4220 ADC, supporting audio recording of up to 24-bit/192kHz in Direct mode, and up to 24-bit/96kHz in DSP mode. The same AD converter chip as the one used in high-end audio interface TASCAM UH-7000. From my observation, it seems there is a +6 dB adjustable input gain at the line input. Frankly, I didn't expect this, as I prefer to have line input that is directly goes to ADC input without additional input gain.

Standard unbalanced line input maximum input voltage is 2 Vrms. SB X7 line input can only take 2 Vrms without clipping when the input volume is set to 50%. At 100% input volume, maximum input voltage is only 1 Vrms. I guess the extra 6 dB input gain is to accommodate some low output sources. Anyway, what's important is the sound quality.

OP,

So if I already have a high output going into the Line Input, then wouldn't I set the line input to 0? I don't understand what you mean by +6db. So if I have vocals recording from a high end preamp at 45db, then going into the X7 line in, it will be raised to 51db? Then anytime the line in volume is boosted in the mixer panel, will that also raise the input DB or just the output DB? At 50% what does that mean? It's sending 50% of my 45db signal to my DAW?

Also, do we know what the ADC specs are for the Mic In in front? Cfreative states the 123adc is for the line in on back, no specs given for the front mic line in.

Thanks for the clarification.

Jan 2, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #1,307 of 3,608
  OP,

So if I already have a high output going into the Line Input, then wouldn't I set the line input to 0? I don't understand what you mean by +6db. So if I have vocals recording from a high end preamp at 45db, then going into the X7 line in, it will be raised to 51db? Then anytime the line in volume is boosted in the mixer panel, will that also raise the input DB or just the output DB? At 50% what does that mean? It's sending 50% of my 45db signal to my DAW?

Also, do we know what the ADC specs are for the Mic In in front? Cfreative states the 123adc is for the line in on back, no specs given for the front mic line in.

the 123DB rating is for the chip itself, nor the actual SNR.

Jan 3, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #1,308 of 3,608
OP,

As far as I know the volume does not scale linearly. Amount of decibels is calculated using logarythmic quotient so it's a little more complicated than simply adding them up. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel

Jan 3, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #1,309 of 3,608
Curious if anyone has had any issues recording from the line in? I just tried to do some needle drops, but it records nothing (and doesn't detect there is sound using the creative smart recorder). Also tried vinyl studio and it keeps popping up errors about initializing the device.

Jan 3, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #1,310 of 3,608
Curious if anyone has had any issues recording from the line in? I just tried to do some needle drops, but it records nothing (and doesn't detect there is sound using the creative smart recorder). Also tried vinyl studio and it keeps popping up errors about initializing the device.

Did You use a preamp or plugged the record player straight into the X7?

Jan 4, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #1,311 of 3,608
I use a preamp (my umc-200). Everything is working fine because I can hear the music through my headphones plugged into the x7, it just won't record anything. I'm going to fiddle with it more tonight, just curious if anyone else had any successes recording or not

Jan 4, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #1,312 of 3,608
  OP,

Yes, if you set the gain to 100%, and feed the line Input with high level signal, clipping might occur. But you can reduce the gain of the line input in the mixer section to avoid clipping.
At 50% you are actually sending 100% (0 dB gain) of your 45 dB signal to your DAW.

The mic input on the front panel is pretty bad in quality, rather useless for other than speech communication.

Jan 4, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #1,313 of 3,608

Yes, if you set the gain to 100%, and feed the line Input with high level signal, clipping might occur. But you can reduce the gain of the line input in the mixer section to avoid clipping.
At 50% you are actually sending 100% (0 dB gain) of your 45 dB signal to your DAW.

The mic input on the front panel is pretty bad in quality, rather useless for other than speech communication.

Oh, the mic input issue makes me kinda sad. I'm quite interested in that, what kind of problems do you have with the mic input?

Jan 4, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #1,314 of 3,608

Oh, the mic input issue makes me kinda sad. I'm quite interested in that, what kind of problems do you have with the mic input?

I've mentioned it in my review on 1st page. Quality is not good, with high noise floor.

Jan 5, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #1,315 of 3,608

I've mentioned it in my review on 1st page. Quality is not good, with high noise floor.

Oh, sorry, I've actually read the entire review (awesome review, btw), but I thought that in the last reply it was another user and I thought that it could be something more. Silly me, lol.

It's kind of frustrating that Creative has such a good unit (and considering the price tag) and just puts a line-in mic that doesn't seem to do better than most of the recent onboard solutions.

Jan 5, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #1,318 of 3,608
  Think i finally found the right power adapter

http://www.amazon.com/Makerfire%C2%AE-Power-Supply-Adapter-Regulated/dp/B00NHEV4BU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1427173382&sr=1-1&keywords=24+volt+6+amp

If somebody finds a regulated linear (non-switching) PSU at 24V/6+A, please let us know. So far I've only found open case ones at $200+.

As X7 LE measurments show, X7 is sensitive to PSU noise. Ideally one would buy a linear and tightly regulated PSU to improve the sound quality even more. Alternatively a very tightly controlled switching PSU for lab purposes. Either one (good quality) should eliminate one source of noise.

Granted, these won't fix the other issues with the unit (SBX Pro virtualization out missing via the digital out).

Jan 5, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #1,319 of 3,608
Jan 6, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #1,320 of 3,608
OCD question for those on here: does your X7 have a little play on the 1/4" jack? I've noticed that there's a lot of "wiggle room" for my jack, especially when plugging in a set of headphones. My other headphone amps also have had a little movement associated with the 1/4" headphone connection, and I'm probably just worried about nothing.

There's no distortion in the connection, but just curious if this is normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back