Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Jul 23, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #706 of 3,608
My X7 has been a problem since day 1. Audio pops/crackles through USB at random times. Harsh spikes in volumes when the audio changes from one type to the next (i.e. watching a Blu-Ray on PS4, and the audio going from stereo PCM to Dolby Digital). Having to turn the X7 on/off multiple times until it picks up the signal (turning it on doesn't GUARANTEE a connection), etc.

Honestly, this is the buggiest, most problematic device I have owned in years. The only reason I didn't return it is because there's no comparable alternative for my needs at the moment, and I don't wanna deal with customer service nonsense.

Am I happy with the X7? Absolutely not. Do I need it? Somewhat. So I'm more or less stuck with all the problems.

You can be sure this will be the last Creative device I buy, until they get their act together.

If Creative were to tell me I'd get a full refund now for the $400 I spent on it with zero customer service headaches, I'd definitely give it up though. With that money, I'd go back to a Mixamp, and bear the sound quality downgrade. At least it doesn't pop, and spike to ear shattering levels when I'm watching my Blu-Rays.

I was supposed to review the device, but it wasn't going to be a very positive review, so I decided not to.

Hey @Mad Lust Envy,

sorry for your experience with the Sound Blaster X7. That is definitely not the intended behavior of the X7 and like what @earfonia mentioned, it might just be a faulty unit. Could you PM me with your order details and I will arrange for a replacement as soon as we can.

Thanks,
Lucas

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #708 of 3,608
X7 uses Dolby Digital, just like the Mixamps. They have different surround tech, but they both the same kind of source signal.

True, but if the source isn't passing DD onto the X7, it doesn't work and the friendly DD logo on the front doesn't light up.

In my case, the PS4 and PS3 were not passing through DD, while the XB1 had no issues. I could verify by passing the signal through my Bravia which indicates "Dolby Digital 1080p" on-screen when enabled and "Stereo 1080p" when disabled. That corresponds with the DD light going on or off on the X7.

If the signal doesn't carry DD, the X7 can't present it, and you're left with a comparatively bland SBX. In this 'no DD' scenario, the MixAmp sounded better for positional cues.

When DD is correctly passed through to the X7, it's no contest and the MixAmps don't get a look in.

Jul 25, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #711 of 3,608
Nice review and lots of good information. I was hoping to run this unit on a laptop with a intel 2.5 gigahertz processor. I notice that they recommend a 2.8 gigahertz  or better. Does anybody how how this might affect performance?

Jul 26, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #712 of 3,608
It might introduce sound artifacts or distortion. That is when the processor is under heavy load and cant keep up.

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #713 of 3,608
Thanks for the reply! I am thinking that might only be a factor for gaming which I don't plan to do. I just want to stream networked files to a media player on the laptop and use the X7 to listen. So I can't think it is that labor intensive...  But if I am missing something I would appreciate a comment.

Jul 26, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #714 of 3,608
  Thanks for the reply! I am thinking that might only be a factor for gaming which I don't plan to do. I just want to stream networked files to a media player on the laptop and use the X7 to listen. So I can't think it is that labor intensive...  But if I am missing something I would appreciate a comment.

Does it have more cores? That's kinda important :]

Jul 27, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #716 of 3,608
  Thanks again for the reply!

http://ark.intel.com/products/71465/Intel-Core-i3-3120M-Processor-3M-Cache-2_50-GHz

It seems to have 2 cores.

I think you should be alright with that 
smily_headphones1.gif

That's a decent processor.

Jul 28, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #717 of 3,608
I really wonder if Creative has some sort of program for people using CIEMs and the vanilla X7 to replace it with the limited edition. I would gladly upgrade for the price difference. 

Jul 29, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #719 of 3,608
Anyone have issues with the mic input of the X7 not working 100% of the time? When I use Skype and Teamspeak, it doesn't always function properly and my teammates can't hear me when I'm talking. I've made sure that I have the settings and the capture/playback set up correctly.

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #720 of 3,608
Speaking of problems, I can't get the X7 to output reliably through the SPDIF reliably. Yesterday it took me 30 minutes of off/on, driver reinstalling disconnecting and reconnecting and messing in Windows to get it to finally lock... This auto switching/detecting is downright broken... I want a way to switch the outputs manually please...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back