Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Mar 25, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #256 of 3,608
Your question is very broad and not specific. May I know what is your intended application with X7?
All that I can explain about X7 is on the first page. Please take some time to read it, probably you will find the answer to your question.

I read this entire thread. I'm just full of questions. :) My intended application is to really get the most out of music/movie/gaming that I can with this thing as connected to my PC.

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #257 of 3,608
Start with the X7 alone. You're diving too far from what i see, so i suggest you get used to the X7 first. It is a very capable single device.

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #258 of 3,608

Thanks for the reply @LucasCL, anything you do will be greatly appreciated. I live in the UK, I don't know if that will affect what you can/can't do.

@Fegefeuer  @esde84

Hey guys, I have managed to get the code extended for the European region.

Use code "CANJAM20" to get 20% off the Sound Blaster E1, E3, E5, X7 and X7 Limited Edition.

The promo code can only be used at the Creative Online Store (http://creative.com/g/p/sound-blaster) and is valid for a week!

Hope this helps!

Lucas

Mar 26, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #259 of 3,608
  I read this entire thread. I'm just full of questions. :) My intended application is to really get the most out of music/movie/gaming that I can with this thing as connected to my PC.

Start with the X7 alone. You're diving too far from what i see, so i suggest you get used to the X7 first. It is a very capable single device.

Agree with @Mad Lust Envy. Just use X7 alone. The headphone output is pretty good. If it sounds a little too bright with your headphone, just replace the Op-Amps. Adding external headphone not necessary will improve the sound. Probably you need to spend on headphone amp costing $300 or more to get better sound than the X7 headphone output.

If you use passive speaker, get the 144 watts power adapter.

Mar 26, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #260 of 3,608

@Fegefeuer  @esde84

Use code "CANJAM20" to get 20% off the Sound Blaster E1, E3, E5, X7 and X7 Limited Edition.

The promo code can only be used at the Creative Online Store (http://creative.com/g/p/sound-blaster) and is valid for a week!

Hope this helps!

Lucas

Thanks Lucas, this made me order the X7 LE. 
evil_smiley.gif

a) Lucas, do you know why you guys didn't include DTS support for the X7 and "just" AC3? DTS license can't be that expensive nowdays, or is it?

b) Can you ask the driver team to improve upon OpenAL support on the Z/X series and just give us a mini-tool to flag/unflag Macro-FX/Elevation to ON/ON, AUTO/AUTO, OFF/OFF? On the X-Fi cards we had the option in the driver panel, now it's not gone. Sure, the panel is much cleaner now but the driver defaults to ON/ON and messes up a lot of popular games. 

Mar 26, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #261 of 3,608

@Fegefeuer  @esde84

Hope this helps!

Lucas

Thanks @LucasCL

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #263 of 3,608

Agree with @Mad Lust Envy. Just use X7 alone. The headphone output is pretty good. If it sounds a little too bright with your headphone, just replace the Op-Amps. Adding external headphone not necessary will improve the sound. Probably you need to spend on headphone amp costing $300 or more to get better sound than the X7 headphone output.

If you use passive speaker, get the 144 watts power adapter.

Yep, that's the version I got is the Limited Edition with the Higher Power Adapter. In the interim until I get new speakers, can I still hook up my Altec Lansing 2.1 set to the x7? the 2 satellites plug into the subwoofer and then that plugs directly into my MOBO's speaker port. I assume I'd just use the x7's line out port for that then?

I'm looking forward to getting the E-MU XM7s and a Subwoofer. From reading the thread, it was said that you have to enter into 3.1 mode to get the 2.1 sound. Does this mean It will be 2.1 or will the x7 be trying to output to a center channel as well and I should really be looking for a 3.1 set up? That bit confused me some.

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #264 of 3,608
  Yep, that's the version I got is the Limited Edition with the Higher Power Adapter. In the interim until I get new speakers, can I still hook up my Altec Lansing 2.1 set to the x7? the 2 satellites plug into the subwoofer and then that plugs directly into my MOBO's speaker port. I assume I'd just use the x7's line out port for that then?

I'm looking forward to getting the E-MU XM7s and a Subwoofer. From reading the thread, it was said that you have to enter into 3.1 mode to get the 2.1 sound. Does this mean It will be 2.1 or will the x7 be trying to output to a center channel as well and I should really be looking for a 3.1 set up? That bit confused me some.

Yes, you can just plug your 2.1 active speaker to the X7 line output, just like the way you plug it to motherboard line out. You'll probably will get cleaner sound from X7.

As with passive speaker E-MU XM7, you can connect it to the speaker output of X7, and the additional active subwoofer to the line output of the X7. Still using the same 2.0/2.1 setting.

Mar 27, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #265 of 3,608

@Fegefeuer  @esde84

Hope this helps!

Lucas

Damn, I ordered mine on Monday from you store, typical. 

Mine arrived yesterday, only had time to plug it all in and load the drivers so far. Any tips for gaming? Thanks.

5aqft5.jpg

Mar 27, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #266 of 3,608
Damn, I ordered mine on Monday from you store, typical. 

Mine arrived yesterday, only had time to plug it all in and load the drivers so far. Any tips for gaming? Thanks.

[url=http://i59.tinypic.com/5aqft5.jpg%5B/IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/5aqft5.jpg[/IMG[/url]]
[/quote]

For gaming.. i went 5.1 with the logitech z906s..turn on sbx n all hell break lose...cant really hear the differences between x7 n my previous sb zxr but it does play louder then the zxr....

Mar 27, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #267 of 3,608
So, do we know how the volume knob works? Does it affect volume at the DSP (before the DAC)? Resistor ladder (after the DAC)?

I don't know if the reviewer is around but it would be easy to confirm. Drop the volume down to half and re-do the RMAA test. If the SNR is way lower, then we know it is digital volume control before the DAC.

Honestly I am a little confused. Does the windows master volume affect the volume? If so, is the knob a separate volume control? If the knob controls the windows volume, how does it work in stand alone mode?

Would be nice of Creative could chime in.

Mar 27, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #268 of 3,608
Yeah, I'd like to know if it's lowering bit resolution when lowering the volume.

As of now, since the volume knob seems to work the same as using the windows volume, I hardly use the knob and use my keyboard's volume buttons. Normally, I would never do this.

The volume knob is fairly insensitive, and sometimes takes forever to lower volume. I don't have that problem with the volume controls on my keyboard.

Mar 27, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #269 of 3,608
So, do we know how the volume knob works? Does it affect volume at the DSP (before the DAC)? Resistor ladder (after the DAC)?

I don't know if the reviewer is around but it would be easy to confirm. Drop the volume down to half and re-do the RMAA test. If the SNR is way lower, then we know it is digital volume control before the DAC.

Honestly I am a little confused. Does the windows master volume affect the volume? If so, is the knob a separate volume control? If the knob controls the windows volume, how does it work in stand alone mode?

Would be nice of Creative could chime in.

I mentioned here in the review:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/756102/creative-sound-blaster-x7-detailed-review-impressions#post_11347706

It's digital volume control, not resistor ladder / programmable analog stepped attenuator like in my Mytek. If the use resistor ladder, they won't sell it at this price 
wink_face.gif

But as for the position of the digital volume control, before or after DSP, I have no idea.

Mar 28, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #270 of 3,608
I'm not saying that it is a resistor network, etc... But do we have more evidence?  Creative is more of a mass-market company so I'm sure they could do it cheaper than some smaller companies. Emotiva had it in products priced similar to the X7.

Just looking for more details, but there aren't any. Anybody remember when the X-FI came out? They gave a ton of technical details. Now, not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back