Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Mar 25, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #241 of 3,608
Nice.
Now we only need this - There's one feature that I hope will be added in the future - the X7 currently cannot pass headphone surround through the line out and SPDIF out. It can only pass speaker 2.0/5.1 surround as of now. I own high end DACs and amplifiers and I really hope the X7 will be able to pass headphone surround to them in the future! It can only output it through its headphone output at the moment.

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #243 of 3,608
Here is what I believe are essential options that we should be able to make:

1. An option for the X7 to default to a low volume level when unplugging any equipment, headphones in particular. if ANYTHING, please make this an absolute priority. The fact that the volume is completely digital and yet doesn't reset to a low point upon turning it on is a HUGE oversight. This can potentially cause some real damage to people who have swapped headphones without first lowering the volume. And especially for those with external equipment that rely on the X7 to be at max/near max volume for line level. Once they go back to plugging in a headphone to the X7 directly, say goodbye to headphones.

2. An option to enable SBX Surround for headphones for the SPDIF out and RCA out. Lots of use are using the X7 tandem with other headphone equipment and can't benefit from the headphone processing from the X7. What this means, is that we'd like for the 'Headphone option' to be manually selectable instead of it disappearing as soon as headphones are unplugged from the front. So whatever processing is going to the headphone jack, we'd like for the others as well when in software mode. If I remember correctly, the Creative X-fi go was able to send it's processed headphone surround through it's SPDIF. This shouldn't be impossible for the X7.

3. An option to keep the X7 in it's selected mode. When using the Android app, it always, always defaults to software mode as soon as you go to any screen that isn't the app. Some of us use the app ONLY to control the X7, and would still like to be able to be in direct mode, instead of fearing the auto switch to software mode.

4. An option to completely disable automatic switching of settings. Sometimes we like to do things manually. The automatic switching sometimes causes issues with other programs. Lots of us like to switch our gear on the fly, which can be hard when the X7 is doing things on it's own. Basically expanding point number 3.

5. The volume knob to be a bit faster to change volume. Sometimes it takes forever to lower the volume. Like... FOREVER.

Mar 25, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #244 of 3,608
Oh man, this coupon code is going to force me to pull the trigger. If only I could double-up on coupon codes and save another 40 bucks. :p

I do have a question for those on the forums: why do you want to double up on amps/dacs, etc? Isn't the X7 supposed to be more or less an all-in one? Pardon my lack of technical expertise on the matter (improving that is why I joined the community).

@Lucas, when will the creative E-MU XM7 Speakers be available? I was going to buy them at the same time, but seemingly cannot. And will there be a decent subwoofer to go with this? I've been eyeing the Audioengine S8. And can a lot of the issues people have brought up here be solved by software updates? If so, very cool. 

Finally, @MLE or anyone, what good surround sound headphones do you recommend for gaming? I can use my ThinkSound On1s for music and calls and such, but I'd like to have some good sounding headphones for movies/tv/games as well.

Thanks.

Mar 25, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #245 of 3,608
  Oh man, this coupon code is going to force me to pull the trigger. If only I could double-up on coupon codes and save another 40 bucks. :p

I do have a question for those on the forums: 1]why do you want to double up on amps/dacs, etc? Isn't the X7 supposed to be more or less an all-in one? Pardon my lack of technical expertise on the matter (improving that is why I joined the community).

@Lucas, when will the creative E-MU XM7 Speakers be available? I was going to buy them at the same time, but seemingly cannot. And will there be a decent subwoofer to go with this? I've been eyeing the Audioengine S8. And can a lot of the issues people have brought up here be solved by software updates? If so, very cool. 

Finally, 2]@MLE or anyone, what good surround sound headphones do you recommend for gaming? I can use my ThinkSound On1s for music and calls and such, but I'd like to have some good sounding headphones for movies/tv/games as well.

Thanks.

1] The X7 is great, but it is not the best money can buy. Some of us own gear in the 500$+ region per component. These components do outperform the X7 as per 2x500$ >$400. So it'd be nice to make full use of them and get the best gaming experience one can utilizing the X7.

2] This thread is very helpful - http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-2-17-2015
To name a few - the AKG K612/K7XX/K712, Philips Fidelio X1/X2, Sony MDR-MA900,... the guide has many suggestions 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #246 of 3,608
Thank you very much Conquer. I'll check out that other thread. Now to justify buying this now. :)

A follow-up question too, how does adding the additional components help the x7 make your experience better or rather what does the x7 bring that is lacking to those components to make it overall a better experience?

Mar 25, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #247 of 3,608
  Thank you very much Conquer. I'll check out that other thread. Now to justify buying this now. :)

A follow-up question too, how does adding the additional components help the x7 make your experience better or rather what does the x7 bring that is lacking to those components to make it overall a better experience?

It does DSP [digital signal processing] - it can process a Dolby Digital 5.1 sound into Headphone Surround. That's what regular audio/stereo components cannot do. I don't like it for music but it is somewhat essential for gaming 
smily_headphones1.gif

The X7 needs a function to pass on the DSP headphone surround sound, which it cannot do right now.
As for what the better components add... Well, they sound different. Every component sounds different, more to one liking. It might also do certain things better, like bbing more accurate, cleaner, image better, be more believable, etc.
The X7 is very capable on its own, but since some of us own even better, it'd be nice to be able to sue them with the X7 to their gaming fullest 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #249 of 3,608
  Cool thank you. So it's good to know I can use the x7 on its own for the time being (should I be buying it now) and then add another bit and bop later. 

Yes, that's the best solution 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #250 of 3,608
I have so many questions. :)

I have the Roccat Kave XTD Digital 5.1 headset. It plugs into my computer via USB. My speakers then plug into the back of the little control hub as this is essentially a USB powered sound card.
http://www.roccat.org/en/Products/Gaming-Sound/Kave-Series/Kave-XTD-Digital/

Could this work with the X7 and how much redundancy would I be adding? I was intending to ditch the Kave for the X7 as it seems to be able to also power speakers a bit better and then just get some nice gamer oriented headphones or not at all since the x7 also has a mic which I could use. I just like the surround gaming I get with the Kave.

Mar 25, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #251 of 3,608
And yet another question. I currently have the Roccat Kave XTD Digital 5.1 heaphones. There is an external soundcard attached and it all plugs in via USB. The Soundcard bit is also a hub with volume control, Bluetooth, and you can plug speakers into the various ports on the back. So my question is, could this work in tandem with the X7 or would I constantly have to switch devices etc?

Here's the link: http://www.roccat.org/en/Products/Gaming-Sound/Kave-Series/Kave-XTD-Digital/

My initial goal was to move over to the X7 because of the builtin Amp, DAC, etc; buy all new and better 2.1 speakers as my very old (13 years) Altec Lansing 2.1 set is showing its age; and then buy a decent gaming headset, which I may not even need if the X7 can mimic surround on my On1's which are great for music. 

Thoughts?

Mar 25, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #252 of 3,608
  It does DSP [digital signal processing] - it can process a Dolby Digital 5.1 sound into Headphone Surround. That's what regular audio/stereo components cannot do. I don't like it for music but it is somewhat essential for gaming 
smily_headphones1.gif

The X7 needs a function to pass on the DSP headphone surround sound, which it cannot do right now.
As for what the better components add... Well, they sound different. Every component sounds different, more to one liking. It might also do certain things better, like bbing more accurate, cleaner, image better, be more believable, etc.
The X7 is very capable on its own, but since some of us own even better, it'd be nice to be able to sue them with the X7 to their gaming fullest 
smily_headphones1.gif

What component do you recommend pairing with the X7 to make music more enjoyable? I like schliit as a brand and have been reading up on them a little, can this just plug straight into the X7?

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #253 of 3,608

What component do you recommend pairing with the X7 to make music more enjoyable? I like schliit as a brand and have been reading up on them a little, can this just plug straight into the X7?

IMHO SB X7 is better as source, so not to 'plug straight into it' but rather to use the line output to drive external headphone / speaker amplifier for example. The line output quality is great, especially on 'Direct Mode' for music. And op-amp can be rolled to fine tune your system.

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #254 of 3,608

IMHO SB X7 is better as source, so not to 'plug straight into it' but rather to use the line output to drive external headphone / speaker amplifier for example. The line output quality is great, especially on 'Direct Mode' for music. And op-amp can be rolled to fine tune your system.

I see, so I'd plug a device, such as an amp or dac into the X7's line-out then plug my speakers and/or headphone into the device? Could you give me an example of a product you'd plug into it? Thanks.

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #255 of 3,608
I see, so I'd plug a device, such as an amp or dac into the X7's line-out then plug my speakers and/or headphone into the device? Could you give me an example of a product you'd plug into it? Thanks.

Your question is very broad and not specific. May I know what is your intended application with X7?
All that I can explain about X7 is on the first page. Please take some time to read it, probably you will find the answer to your question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back