Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Mar 18, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #181 of 3,608
Cdsa's suggestion might work.

There's another possible cause for these issues rather than just "Creative made a mistake" or "isn't willing to support other audio equipment." Consider that the internal sound cards, and the Omni, definitely CAN output positional audio processed to 2-channel headphone virtual surround, BUT the Omni and the others aren't Dolby decoders. The recon3D USB was able to act as an optical Dolby decoder and a USB soundcard, buuuut it only had an analogue out.

We might be running into a design flaw, but we might also be running into a copyright protection issue here. I'll have to check again tonight, it took me a few tries to get my Omni outputting processed sound through optical, but the very fact that the X7 can decode Dolby may disable the feature.

Mar 18, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #182 of 3,608
I'll just wait for what MLE and Evs have to say 
ph34r.gif

I will say that the upmixed stereo to an external nice DAC sounds very good to my ears, much better than using just the line out. And that if I am to use the X7 with my neutral phones via the headphone out, I will need to roll some darker op-amps... I'd rather avoid that... More spending 
frown.gif

Anyway, 
popcorn.gif

biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #183 of 3,608
For those who are in Singapore, there is an interesting offer next week in IT Show. Creative launch new speaker, E-MU XM7, and there is an offer in IT Show: FREE E-MU XM7 Speakers with purchase of Sound Blaster X7 at S$499.-.
http://view.ed4.net/v/A5L2TFC/A50YV/S0MQ0L2/IPGIE/

Curious to hear how's the new E-MU XM7 sounds 
normal_smile%20.gif

Yup....will be there...definitely getting the X7 LE with free emu speakers. At around usd400...this package is a darn good deal..hopefully it can drive my old M.cyrus 782 well..

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #184 of 3,608
Yup....will be there...definitely getting the X7 LE with free emu speakers. At around usd400...this package is a darn good deal..hopefully it can drive my old M.cyrus 782 well..

Just came back from IT Show for a short audition of the E-MU XM7 speakers. It was around half an hour presentation by Creative, mostly on SB X7, and the last 5-10 minutes they demoed the E-MU XM7.  They demoed the X7 mostly using the Canton floorstanding speakers.  From the short 5-10 minutes audition of the E-MU XM7, honestly I'm impressed 
normal_smile .gif
. I like it more than the bigger Canton speakers. Yes, the Canton was louder with more powerful bass, but the E-MU XM7 is much more refined, and much smoother sounding. From the short audition, I heard vocal sounds way better on the XM7, very smooth and refined. Vocal sounds captivating. Very coherent sounds from bass to treble. It is actually smaller than what I imagined looking from the picture. Bass is ok, very decent bass from speaker at that size. My early impression is positive on XM7. Sound signature is more like studio monitor quality, quite balance from bass to treble, I didn't hear any obvious peaks and dips. 

I hope I will have a change to listen more of the E-MU XM7.

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #185 of 3,608
I just purchased the X7 (thank you Amazon same-day delivery) to replace my MixAmp Pro. I was all excited to connect to with my XBOX One, then realize an optical cable is not included with the X7. The MixAmp uses Toslink to Mini Toslink and the X7 is Toslink to Toslink. Minor complaint but for $400, you would think Creative could include an optical cable. There is a bunch of other cables and adapters it comes with. Even the MixAmp comes with an optical cable. I will have to purchase one now, before I can try this bad boy out.

Mar 20, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #186 of 3,608
To start off, great review.

I didn't know where to put this but I figured I would drop it here to save someone a little sanity. I was having an issue installing the software on my Windows 7 machine. The X7 would show up in device manager but the Sound Blaster control panel didn't see it.
Oddly, it worked on my Windows 10 VM.

Long story short, I had to uninstall my ESET NOD32 AV and re-run the X7 install to perform the control panel setup. After that, I re-installed ESET and its been working fine.

Mar 20, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #187 of 3,608
Earfonia, OPA604AP or OPA604AU?

I'm also considering the OPA827.

Also, was the bass fuller than stock with these? My gripe with the stock is that it's too fast. I like some smoothness and richness.

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #188 of 3,608
  To start off, great review.

I didn't know where to put this but I figured I would drop it here to save someone a little sanity. I was having an issue installing the software on my Windows 7 machine. The X7 would show up in device manager but the Sound Blaster control panel didn't see it.
Oddly, it worked on my Windows 10 VM.

Long story short, I had to uninstall my ESET NOD32 AV and re-run the X7 install to perform the control panel setup. After that, I re-installed ESET and its been working fine.

Similar experience with drivers conflict, I had to uninstall my motherboard build-in VIA audio chipset driver to make all my external DACs work fine. With the VIA driver installed, there are some issues.

Earfonia, OPA604AP or OPA604AU?

I'm also considering the OPA827.

Also, was the bass fuller than stock with these? My gripe with the stock is that it's too fast. I like some smoothness and richness.

I tried only OPA604AP. I prefer the OPA827, Adds more body to the bass and mids while still maintaining good soundstage and dynamic. OPA604 a bit narrow on the soundstage, and a bit mellow.

Mar 20, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #189 of 3,608
Thanks. I'll try a pair of 827s. I dunno though, i like mellow too, which may be for the best with bright headphones.

Mar 20, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #190 of 3,608
Thanks. I'll try a pair of 827s. I dunno though, i like mellow too, which may be for the best with bright headphones.

Then you should try OPA604 as well 
wink_face.gif

It's not expensive, and doesn't require adapter like OPA827. Plug and Play 
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 21, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #191 of 3,608
I need an adapter? I never opamp rolled before except putting the Moon opamp on my Audio GD gear. No adapters.

Mar 21, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #192 of 3,608
I need an adapter? I never opamp rolled before except putting the Moon opamp on my Audio GD gear. No adapters.

Check the picture of Op-Amps on the 1st page. OPA827 is the Op-Amp no 3 from top, left column. OPA827 only come in SOIC8 package, not compatible with SB X7 DIP8 socket. So requires adapter from SOIC8 to DIP8.
You can order it from BrownDog already soldered to the adapter.

Mar 21, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #193 of 3,608
The 827 from BrownDog end up being more than 40$ for the pair, but when I replaced the stock ones it was quite clear the difference in construction quality. The stock ones might bend a little when you remove them, while the BrownDog adapter has a much sturdier design.
But considering the price difference with the 604 you might want to start with that (and since you review many headphones it makes sense to have a bunch of op-amps).

I just started with Op-amp rolling but I'm loving the fact that I can keep my shopping spree alive while spending just a few bucks. And as far as the 827 sound, Earfonia did a great job of describing it: they made the HD700 fuller and I can finally move on from the great memories I had with the X2 (as if we had a break up).

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #194 of 3,608
What adapter does the AD8597 requires? I am kinda deciding between the OPA827 and AD8597...
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #195 of 3,608
  What adapter does the AD8597 requires? I am kinda deciding between the OPA827 and AD8597...
smily_headphones1.gif

The same SOIC8 to DIP8 adapter like those for OPA827. AD8597 is the second op-amp on the left column, on top of the OPA827.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back