Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Feb 26, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #61 of 3,608
Been talking to creative, they're sending me a review sample LE too (for most people I'd reccommend the value of the regular X7, unless the LE status, color, and headphone output impedance matter to you). If it doesn't require a special soundcard or expensive software, maybe you can pm me how to do a quick RMAA test on my unit?

Looking forward to this comparison, Evshrug. Your excellent initial review of the X7 is what drove me to buy one for my battlestation.

Feb 26, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #62 of 3,608
That bass dip and treble rise on the DSP mode is disconcerting. Of course, I'd only use DSP mode for SBX Surround use for gaming/movies, so it's probably a good thing, since DSPs tend to smooth out the sound a bit.

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #63 of 3,608
Looking forward to this comparison, Evshrug. Your excellent initial review of the X7 is what drove me to buy one for my battlestation.

Thanks! I'd just add that I'm glad/relieved that another reviewer has weighed-in in a comprehensive manner and added data that isn't my specialty. More reviews = more perspectives = better community understanding.

That bass dip and treble rise on the DSP mode is disconcerting. Of course, I'd only use DSP mode for SBX Surround use for gaming/movies, so it's probably a good thing, since DSPs tend to smooth out the sound a bit.

What, you mean this chart?

The rises and falls, within human rearing ranges, are less than half a decibel. Very VERY minor, and if it bugs you that much you can make an EQ adjustment in the opposite direction at I believe 8kHz. Still much better than the Mixamp.

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #65 of 3,608
Oh, shoot, I didn't even realize it was half decibel increments.

Using headphones, I won't guess there is half dB increment, frankly i don't hear the half dB increment on the 8 kHz. This is strange, as 8 kHz increment should make the DSP mode sounds brighter than the Direct mode, but in fact, it is not. The Direct mode even sounds more transparent than DSP mode.

Please take note that DSP mode affects both line output and line input. So it is possible that the half dB rise was from the line input.

Feb 26, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #66 of 3,608
Thanks! I'd just add that I'm glad/relieved that another reviewer has weighed-in in a comprehensive manner and added data that isn't my specialty. More reviews = more perspectives = better community understanding.

beerchug.gif

You're right! The more objective perspective and impressions the better. I also learnt from your review and some Amazon reviews.

Feb 27, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #67 of 3,608
earfonia, this has got to be the best audio review i've read so far. awesome, awesome stuff. learned a lot about my x7 :D

Feb 28, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #71 of 3,608
Just to ask, are you a journalist or writer? Your review is really very good, especially coming from a Singaporean.

Far from it 
tongue.gif

I'm a telecommunication engineer, dealing with local telco fiber optic infrastructure.

Audio and writing reviews for audio equipment is purely hobby. My EE background is not really used in my job, and I don't want to waste it. Better to use them for the benefit of the community.

Thank you so much for the review!
The sound blaster E lineup doesn't really get much attention from the audiophile community which make a good decent review quite a rarity.

You're welcome!
Right. I have E5 for portable use. Bought especially for the line input, so I can do simple RMAA test when not at home. I would say E5 is a useful Swiss army knife of audio, but don't expect the audio quality of X7, especially the headphone output. SB X7 headphone output, though using the same headphone amp chip, but implementation of the TPA6120A2 on X7 is way better than on the battery powered E5. Mainly due to the different power supply.

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #72 of 3,608
Again, thanks for doing this. So here's a Q: when I use "Direct Mode" with my headphones, the mic array should still be able to record my voice? It doesn't do that and I wasn't sure what to make of it. Also, do you think I could damage my UE18 Pro with the high gain setting? I don't know much about audio physics and would rather know if I need to be super careful not to activate it or not :)

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #73 of 3,608
  Again, thanks for doing this. So here's a Q: when I use "Direct Mode" with my headphones, the mic array should still be able to record my voice? It doesn't do that and I wasn't sure what to make of it. Also, do you think I could damage my UE18 Pro with the high gain setting? I don't know much about audio physics and would rather know if I need to be super careful not to activate it or not :)

Yes, I tried, the recording channels seem disabled on Direct mode. So, cannot use direct mode to use the mic array.

At high gain, around 6 Vrms max output, the headphone output will potentially blow your IEM if you're not careful. I'm not familiar with UE18 Pro, but I will stick to normal gain for IEM.

Feb 28, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #74 of 3,608
The on/off button feels a bit flimsy, besides that I'm quite happy. Will try with HD700 as soon as they arrive from amazon.

Feb 28, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #75 of 3,608
  The on/off button feels a bit flimsy, besides that I'm quite happy. Will try with HD700 as soon as they arrive from amazon.

I prefer to use OPA827 for my HD800. You can get them ready to use from BrownDog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back