Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Mar 29, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #391 of 3,462
Great to hear, my sennheiser hd-595s were ok on the fatality but I'm sure the high quality headphone amp will make them sound even better.
No way... There's zero improvement between the headphone amp and line out on Zx (except line out might even be tiny bit better). Headphone amp doesn't seem to amp these at all, volume is comparable and totally unusable loud at least in my case without ACM volume controller knob. These don't need amp, source must be pretty damn weak if it can't drive these. I'm not using the headphone out with these.

Mar 30, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #392 of 3,462
Quote:
No way... There's zero improvement between the headphone amp and line out on Zx (except line out might even be tiny bit better). Headphone amp doesn't seem to amp these at all, volume is comparable and totally unusable loud at least in my case without ACM volume controller knob. These don't need amp, source must be pretty damn weak if it can't drive these. I'm not using the headphone out with these.

zxr we're talking about

Mar 30, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #393 of 3,462
Good day all, I came across these fine forums today seeking information and gaudiness, lately I have been taking extra care to my usual regarding audio.[size=16pt][/size]
I currently use Auzentech Hometheater Xfi card ( not recommended) with Astro A40+MixAmp. I have purchased the new Sound blaster ZXR ( still did not receive it) and was wonder which headphones do you think are good enough to really enjoy it.[size=16pt][/size]

I am mostly a gamer but lately have been demanding better audio experience from HD Movies and music.[size=16pt][/size]

So can you help this Audio noob, which Headphone to use with the ZXR for 300$?!?[size=16pt][/size]

Mar 30, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #395 of 3,462
Quote:
Good day all, I came across these fine forums today seeking information and gaudiness, lately I have been taking extra care to my usual regarding audio.[size=16pt][/size]
I currently use Auzentech Hometheater Xfi card ( not recommended) with Astro A40+MixAmp. I have purchased the new Sound blaster ZXR ( still did not receive it) and was wonder which headphones do you think are good enough to really enjoy it.[size=16pt][/size]
I am mostly a gamer but lately have been demanding better audio experience from HD Movies and music.[size=16pt][/size]
So can you help this Audio noob, which Headphone to use with the ZXR for 300$?!?[size=16pt][/size]

Whoa, back up a minute. You have an X-Fi HomeTheater HD card? What's wrong with it? Software? Hardware?

It's also somewhat odd that you'd then pair up such a card to an Astro Mixamp; I guess you really favor Dolby Headphone over CMSS-3D Headphone to the point of using Dolby Digital Live output over S/PDIF (which still wouldn't justify such an expensive card), but if that were the case, you'd probably opt for a Xonar, Claro Halo, or some other C-Media card instead of the ZxR.

As for what headphones to recommend...the issue with that question is that people are looking for different things in sound presentation. A lot of people crave bass and treble emphasis, while I don't want anything getting in the way of midrange, and especially vocals.

Sure, there are several headphones with the soundstage and imaging needed for gaming, but the rest of the sound presentation runs the gamut between models, and the only way to be sure of what you want is to start auditioning. I mean, I didn't know I was such a vocalhead 'til I started comparing my Stax SR-Lambda to the later Stax SR-202 and HiFiMan HE-400 and realized what I was really looking for in a headphone. (And, no, you probably can't afford any of those without a budget increase.)

Mar 30, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #396 of 3,462
Nice to see a real highend card from Creative. I use the X-fi Elite Pro since many years. I had the Asus Essence ST but felt the Elite Pro was the better DAC. 
If my Elite Pro ever dies on me hopefully this is a worthy successor. 

Mar 30, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #397 of 3,462
The reason why I hate the Auzentech Hometheater is because it makes the audio screwed up with cracks, pops, echo and noise at least once a day and requires rebooting the PC to work properly, but lately it has been doing so 4 or 5 times a day which kills any fun I am having with the PC.

Regarding headphones, I can increase price to 400$, I can not audition headphones cause  I do not live in the USA nor europe, where I live there are limited resource regarding audio, maybe Sony, Yamaha, Sennheiser and few others but with limited range to chose from and 4 times the price!

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #398 of 3,462
Quote:
The reason why I hate the Auzentech Hometheater is because it makes the audio screwed up with cracks, pops, echo and noise at least once a day and requires rebooting the PC to work properly, but lately it has been doing so 4 or 5 times a day which kills any fun I am having with the PC.

Regarding headphones, I can increase price to 400$, I can not audition headphones cause  I do not live in the USA nor europe, where I live there are limited resource regarding audio, maybe Sony, Yamaha, Sennheiser and few others but with limited range to chose from and 4 times the price!

Seems like the usual driver quirks that never affect me for some reason...but have you tried this driver package? Works pretty well for my non-Titanium HD X-Fi cards.

If you're not in the US or Europe, though, that does complicate things significantly in that I don't know the usual pricing for headphones in your area. In other words, something relatively low-end like the HD598 might saturate your budget for all I know. (And I'd get reamed on shipping and customs if I offered to buy that X-Fi HomeTheater HD...)

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #399 of 3,462
Quote:

I feel for you on the cracking and popping. Have you looked into DPC Latency? My computer just all of a sudden having latency issues last week and I couldn't for the life of me get it figured out.I finally got it narrowed down to my ethernet driver. But after using Wifi for a while and still getting the problems (although not quite as bad as ethernet) and updating every driver I could. But then I discovered completely by chance that it was Malwarebytes' website blocking feature. So stopped using Malwarebytes website blocking and have been happy ever since

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #400 of 3,462
Yes I have tried all drivers available including PAX drivers and no luck, I will be ordering online, so no problem on purchasing, but the problem is testing headphones that's why I need the advise of you guys 
smily_headphones1.gif

Regarding DPC latency, every thing is fine, I have no issue there.

Mar 31, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #402 of 3,462
Quote:
Hmm Guys, what do you think about the HE-400?

I mean 60% of the time on PC I will be gaming, 25% Movies " HD movies" and 15% Music.

Great headphone if you want a "cinematic" experience in your games, with subwoofer-like bass when it's called for...but ONLY when it's called for.

The midrange is a tad recessed in that vocals are a bit behind the bass and treble notes in music, but weirdly enough, the vocals don't totally suffer for it. It's actually quite versatile in terms of music that sounds good on it.

I would recommend picking up the velour pads; they're what I auditioned them with (Mad Lust Envy's pretty outspoken on the preference for velour and how they improve the sound signature in the HE-400's case), and pretty comfortable to boot. And speaking of comfort, weight isn't a problem at all to me; it's reasonably comfortable to wear for long periods.

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #403 of 3,462
Hmm Guys, what do you think about the HE-400?

I mean 60% of the time on PC I will be gaming, 25% Movies " HD movies" and 15% Music.

It was a reasonably good headphone, I also tried it with velours. The bass was of good quality, detail and "sparkle" were there, but compared to the Q701 I am used to I felt like the midrange was sucked out, a Janis Joplin track I listened to didn't present her vocals well. It's a small thing though, and it might be a great headphone for you. Do you know what a "fun" V-shaped frequency response sounds like? The HE-400 were basically the best example of that sound that I've ever heard. But yeah, I prefer my AKG Q701, and I really hope to try a Beyerdynamic DT880 some day.

Still waffling on what card I want for myself, a Z-series card or X-Fi Titanium HD on sale. LoL

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #404 of 3,462
Hmm, so you prefer the AKG q701 over the HE-400! 

How are they in Games? can they handle virtual 5.1 positioning? How is the Bass in them?

They are much cheaper than the HE-400 so if they are as good then I'll get them.

So it is HE-400 vs AKG Q701 on the ZXr, by the way how is the Amp on the ZXr?

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #405 of 3,462
Just to chime in to express my disappointment with the Zx model's ACM.

THE ACM DEGRADES THE SOUND QUALITY!

I tested the sound coming out of the ACM versus plugging my headphones directly into the sound card and the difference is major. I actually used the sound card without the ACM for a week or so. As soon as I decided to use the ACM, I could immediately hear that it was worse...especially while using the surround sound feature.  It sound weaker and tinny.  With out the ACM things are much clearer and precise.  I had to play with the volume higher using the ACM as it seems to weaken the amps power. 

Testing it while playing Black Ops 2...it was like night and day.  Without the AMC my gun shoots sound loud, fast and punchy.  Playing through the AMC the gun shoots are very much recessed and weak. 

I actually thought my ACM was defective and Amazon sent me a replacement...just to be disappointed that the same issue existed with the new AMC.  I placed the replacement sound card in as well and even reinstalled all software and drivers......SAME ISSUE.

I highly recommend the sound card itself (if you are plugging directly in to the sound card) but stick with the cheaper Z model that does not include the ACM. 

Here is a link to my amazon review:

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Gaming-Control-SB1506/product-reviews/B009XDWUCQ/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_three?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addThreeStar&showViewpoints=0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back