Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Mar 2, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #346 of 3,462
... It is also convenient to have an "all in one" internal package, rather than an external box powered by a wall wart (or worse yet, batteries).

It is definitely a trick sometimes connecting my tube amp to a wall outlet to use headphones with my computer. I bought a Monster power strip (bundled free with my TV), but it introduces grounding noise in the background that I guess is due to the transformer or power-conditioner built into it, so all the computer bits (& my Xbox) are plugged into it and the tube amp's wire leading to it's wall-wart stretches across to the other power outlet on the other wall of my room. I usually use my FiiO Mont Blanc with my computer/Xbox instead, the battery power is a boon for fewer wires and usually comes with me to charge on my nightstand table next to my bed every night after I'm done with music anyway. I could see someone being frustrated if they often ran out of battery power, though.

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #349 of 3,462
I really cannot decide between the Zx and the ZxR....the price difference here is $130, I won't be using the daughter board. Play games and love listening to music (currently have a Essence STX and Denon 2K's).....it seems the price difference is due to the daughter board? Is the DAC on the ZxR that much better then the Zx? I'm willing to spend the extra but if its not worth it....then no thanks.

Mar 4, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #351 of 3,462
New drivers add ASIO support indeed.
asio0kscd.png

It's proper multi-client ASIO driver like with X-Fi. This is truly strong product line now. I was using ASIO out in Foobar and Cubase 6 64-bit.

Mar 4, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #352 of 3,462
Will I be able to hear the difference between my current ZX and the ZXR? I use Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm headphones. I might want to get a ZXR when they become available, but I have no need for the daughterboard and I'm not sure if it's worth the price difference.

Mar 4, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #353 of 3,462
Quote:
New drivers add ASIO support indeed.

It's proper multi-client ASIO driver like with X-Fi. This is truly strong product line now. I was using ASIO out in Foobar and Cubase 6 64-bit.

Great move for once Creative, seems like they are really trying with this latest Z series.

I've still got trouble to decide, ZxR vs Z? The price difference is so huge and I'm only interested in the higher quality DAC and caps and I don't even plan to use the ACM module and I don't think I will be using the additional outputs on the extra card. I do plan to use soundcard as my source for quite some time though and why not get among the better options while I am at it. Probably talking about a 3-5 year investment here so $250 may not be that bad instead of getting a lower tier option. 

I do even master a lot of hardstyle tracks for newcomers so I guess I'd also do all those a favor in getting some slightly higher quality stuff. :p

Does any1 know anything about amping used on the ZxR card? How it holds up and what kind of sound signature etc. 

Mar 4, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #354 of 3,462
Quote:

Great move for once Creative, seems like they are really trying with this latest Z series.

I've still got trouble to decide, ZxR vs Z? The price difference is so huge and I'm only interested in the higher quality DAC and caps and I don't even plan to use the ACM module and I don't think I will be using the additional outputs on the extra card. I do plan to use soundcard as my source for quite some time though and why not get among the better options while I am at it. Probably talking about a 3-5 year investment here so $250 may not be that bad instead of getting a lower tier option. 

I do even master a lot of hardstyle tracks for newcomers so I guess I'd also do all those a favor in getting some slightly higher quality stuff. :p

Does any1 know anything about amping used on the ZxR card? How it holds up and what kind of sound signature etc. 

Well, I know that the the ZxR uses the TI TPA6120 just like the Asus Essence line does. So it will definitely drive my headphones better. I don't know if what I will hear (in terms of sound quality) will be better though. The difference has been already amazing coming from onboard audio.

Mar 4, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #356 of 3,462
Mar 4, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #358 of 3,462
Quote:
I really cannot decide between the Zx and the ZxR....the price difference here is $130, I won't be using the daughter board. Play games and love listening to music (currently have a Essence STX and Denon 2K's).....it seems the price difference is due to the daughter board? Is the DAC on the ZxR that much better then the Zx? I'm willing to spend the extra but if its not worth it....then no thanks.

You already have a STX? Then why bother moving to a Zx (which will be a downgrade) or a ZxR which would be a sidegrade?
You're not going to get better sound quality by going either Zx or ZxR, different sound yes (which you can just adjust to your preference with a good EQ)... but better? no. Not especially when you have to splurge $150/$250 for a new card. 

Quote:
Will I be able to hear the difference between my current ZX and the ZXR? I use Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm headphones. I might want to get a ZXR when they become available, but I have no need for the daughterboard and I'm not sure if it's worth the price difference.

Yes you might be able to hear a difference, but is the difference worth a $100? No. Just stick with your Zx unless money isn't really a term to you.

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #359 of 3,462
Quote:
You already have a STX? Then why bother moving to a Zx (which will be a downgrade) or a ZxR which would be a sidegrade?
You're not going to get better sound quality by going either Zx or ZxR, different sound yes (which you can just adjust to your preference with a good EQ)... but better? no. Not especially when you have to splurge $150/$250 for a new card. 

Yes you might be able to hear a difference, but is the difference worth a $100? No. Just stick with your Zx unless money isn't really a term to you.

Really only wanted to try something different because I do game competitively and the positional audio on the STX isn't to great. Something new to try after 2 years of having the STX anyways!

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #360 of 3,462

I owned an stx and I sold it and bought a Z. Apart from a small difference in audio quality I'm glad I made the move. Gaming wise it just makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back