Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Jan 25, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #151 of 3,462
Quote:
I would assume use the headphone jack especially if you are using higher than 32 Ohm impedence headphones.  I see no reason to use the line out.

A line output is likely to work better (or less badly, depending on your point of view) with a high impedance load than with a low impedance one. A line input normally has an impedance of at least several kΩ, and that is what a line output is designed to handle best. In the particular case of the Sound Blaster Z, however, if the line output has the same maximum voltage (2 Vrms unloaded) as the line out, and is indeed driven by an NJM4556, it could in fact work decently with headphone loads, the only potential problem is high output impedance and/or capacitor coupling (both of which degrade the sound of low impedance headphones more).

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #152 of 3,462
What I'm saying is to me music sounds a little clearer or better and has more definition through my headphones when connected to the line out versus headphone jack (a little, but noticeably so). It is hard to explain since i am not an audiophile. If anyone else can test this with their headphoneS and report back that would be great

Jan 25, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #153 of 3,462
A line output is likely to work better (or less badly, depending on your point of view) with a high impedance load than with a low impedance one. A line input normally has an impedance of at least several kΩ, and that is what a line output is designed to handle best. In the particular case of the Sound Blaster Z, however, if the line output has the same maximum voltage (2 Vrms unloaded) as the line out, and is indeed driven by an NJM4556, it could in fact work decently with headphone loads, the only potential problem is high output impedance and/or capacitor coupling (both of which degrade the sound of low impedance headphones more).

Fair enough. I actually wasn't aware that's how it worked.

Melterx12 Are you sure you didn't change anything in the sbx pro studio. The speaker outputs and the headphone outputs might be storing different settings. Switch back and forth and see what settings differ.

Jan 25, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #154 of 3,462
all the SBX settings are off. the only difference is using headphone jack the Speaker/Headphone configuration setting is forced to "headphone" while line out I use "Stereo" with Left and Right speakers "Full Range" box checked.

Jan 27, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #158 of 3,462
Quote:
Shame about the delay. Product page for the ZxR is up now though.

It's been up for a little while now. Though, bad news... Release has been postponed to March: http://jp.creative.com/corporate/pressroom/releases/welcome.asp?pid=13305

Jan 28, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #159 of 3,462
EDIT: I tried playing music while turning full range setting on and off and do not notice any difference whatsoever, so I do not think it is that.

I would guess why the line output is a little more clear is because it is a more direct path straight from the JRC2114D, no heaphone amp, so the heaphone amp is apparently not transparent on this card. Good that your phones are so easily driven you can use that output. Personally I believe the most optimal solution would be to use a high class headphone amp connected to the line out, instead of the built in headphone amp. The potential for really high end sound seems to be there, as the aforementioned russian site could barely hear a difference between the Creative Z and a several times more expensive EMU 1616 using line out played back through high end gear. The same thing applies to Xonar ST/STX afaik, they sound better from their RCA-outputs than from their headphone amp even though the headphone amp is what got them highly acclaimed.

Anyway, I just received a Creative Z which I will put through it's paces in a few days. It's meant for my gaming box which is current high end hardware and Win 8, my box for music playback running Linux already has a Xonar ST so it will be easy to compare. I also have Xonar DX, Xonar DG, Audiophile 2496 and X-Fi XtremeGamer if I want to put my observations in perspective.

One interesting sidenote is that my sample of Creative Z also has Nichicon Fine Gold caps in all positions, the same as in Xonar ST, I suppose I'm lucky :D

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #160 of 3,462
Quote:
Anyway, I just received a Creative Z which I will put through it's paces in a few days. It's meant for my gaming box which is current high end hardware and Win 8, my box for music playback running Linux already has a Xonar ST so it will be easy to compare. I also have Xonar DX, Xonar DG, Audiophile 2496 and X-Fi XtremeGamer if I want to put my observations in perspective.

Can't wait to hear your conclusions.

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #161 of 3,462
I would guess why the line output is a little more clear is because it is a more direct path straight from the JRC2114D, no heaphone amp, so the heaphone amp is apparently not transparent on this card. Good that your phones are so easily driven you can use that output. Personally I believe the most optimal solution would be to use a high class headphone amp connected to the line out, instead of the built in headphone amp. The potential for really high end sound seems to be there, as the aforementioned russian site could barely hear a difference between the Creative Z and a several times more expensive EMU 1616 using line out played back through high end gear. The same thing applies to Xonar ST/STX afaik, they sound better from their RCA-outputs than from their headphone amp even though the headphone amp is what got them highly acclaimed.

One interesting sidenote is that my sample of Creative Z also has Nichicon Fine Gold caps in all positions, the same as in Xonar ST, I suppose I'm lucky :D

:popcorn:

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #162 of 3,462
I just switched from Forte to Zx. It definitely does sound different and in my opinion the ACM is a must or the volume output is just way too high. I'm using Sennheiser HD 595. I've also wondered whether or not it would be better to just use the lien out instead, I've tried to do testing between headphone out and line out but to be honest, I’m not sure if I can really tell the difference (there doesn't even seem to be volume difference), though line-out does seem to sound a bit cleaner and have higher dynamic range. I used to use line-out in Forte since it was too loud even at lowest setting without volume controller. Zx line out volume levels are more comparable to Forte’s headphone out than line out. First thing I did was to disable all SBX and stuff liek that. Windows audio panel is set to Stereo mode with full-range speakers ticked.

By the way, the headphone amp in Zx and Z is Maxim MAX97220A so I do not know if that’s bottlenecking the quality. Someone with really hood ADC should do test but for now, I stick with line-out since it doesn't seem to have any issues driving my headphones. Now that I've done a bit longer comparison it does definitely feel like line-out is better when it comes to detail, sounds awesome. Forte line out was a bit sloppy sounding (for the lack of better word; especially for bass) and Zx definitely has better micro detail and more natural sound. If you have sensitive low inpedance headphones, I'd definitely use line-out.

Jan 30, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #163 of 3,462
Quote:
I just switched from Forte to Zx. It definitely does sound different and in my opinion the ACM is a must or the volume output is just way too high. I'm using Sennheiser HD 595. I've also wondered whether or not it would be better to just use the lien out instead, I've tried to do testing between headphone out and line out but to be honest, I’m not sure if I can really tell the difference (there doesn't even seem to be volume difference), though line-out does seem to sound a bit cleaner and have higher dynamic range. I used to use line-out in Forte since it was too loud even at lowest setting without volume controller. Zx line out volume levels are more comparable to Forte’s headphone out than line out. First thing I did was to disable all SBX and stuff liek that. Windows audio panel is set to Stereo mode with full-range speakers ticked.

By the way, the headphone amp in Zx and Z is Maxim MAX97220A so I do not know if that’s bottlenecking the quality. Someone with really hood ADC should do test but for now, I stick with line-out since it doesn't seem to have any issues driving my headphones. Now that I've done a bit longer comparison it does definitely feel like line-out is better when it comes to detail, sounds awesome. Forte line out was a bit sloppy sounding (for the lack of better word; especially for bass) and Zx definitely has better micro detail and more natural sound. If you have sensitive low inpedance headphones, I'd definitely use line-out.

The maxim spec sheet says it operates at  112db SNR so when the sound leaves the Cirrus DAC(116db SNR) and goes to the headamp, I guess it gets a noisier.  Maybe this would account for the quality difference perhaps?  I know it has to travel through the buffer stages too and i guess it could get noisier along there as well?  My understanding of opamps and headamps isnt really high so im not sure.

I honestly dont mind the difference in quality right now since the minute the ZXR is released im selling my Z and jumping on that.  The Z was just a temporary solution to my annoyances with the essence STX.  Last minute buy really.

Jan 30, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #165 of 3,462
Quote:
The maxim spec sheet says it operates at  112db SNR so when the sound leaves the Cirrus DAC(116db SNR) and goes to the headamp, I guess it gets a noisier.  Maybe this would account for the quality difference perhaps?  I know it has to travel through the buffer stages too and i guess it could get noisier along there as well?  My understanding of opamps and headamps isnt really high so im not sure.

I honestly dont mind the difference in quality right now since the minute the ZXR is released im selling my Z and jumping on that.  The Z was just a temporary solution to my annoyances with the essence STX.  Last minute buy really.

Cirrus DAC is actually rated 120dB SNR in their specs, 116dB is creative's real world value. But as far as I know, headphone amp chip definitely does not improve the signal since it will boost noise too.

This probably explaisn the difference:
http://www.abload.de/img/headvddsa.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back