Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Jun 30, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #3,437 of 3,462
I was wondering if the sound blaster z can be used with the dt990 600ohm? I know it states or can but wanted to ask around.

In my opinion no it can't. There was a clear and noticeable improvement going from the soundblaster Z to a Schiit Magni 2 for a pair of HD 598s which are some of the easiest to drive headphones you can find. I also ended up using a Modi on the optical out to bypass the DAC and got a reasonable improvement as well, so realistically the SBZ really IMO isn't suitable for high ohm headphones, its poor for low ohm ones.

Jun 30, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #3,439 of 3,462
I was wondering if the sound blaster z can be used with the dt990 600ohm? I know it states or can but wanted to ask around.
I believe I tried my DT990 600-Ohm plugged into the SB-Z card, I guess it drove the DT990 decently, but the DT990 really needs to be used with a more powerful head amp.

Jul 1, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #3,440 of 3,462
Wouldn't suprise me if they just added the same thing that is present in G5 and E5 USB cards:
8186497.png

FYI, I have a Soundblaster G5 and Virtual surround 5.1 is prefferred IMO to 7.1, too many channels is only bad for headphones, too much "directions" to interpret and the steps get more narrower between them, meanwhile 5.1 the directions step out better as there's more space between making it easier to interpet that specific direction. Well that's how I'd sum it up anyway based on my own testing.

Oh man, that headphone surround for line/optical out option is pretty sweet. Hopefully it is on the new cards.

Jul 7, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #3,442 of 3,462
In my opinion no it can't. There was a clear and noticeable improvement going from the soundblaster Z to a Schiit Magni 2 for a pair of HD 598s which are some of the easiest to drive headphones you can find. I also ended up using a Modi on the optical out to bypass the DAC and got a reasonable improvement as well, so realistically the SBZ really IMO isn't suitable for high ohm headphones, its poor for low ohm ones.
Just curious... My Zx is just plain and simple unusable if I plug my HD 595's directly into the headphone out in this card. It's so damn loud. Heck, even the line out is so loud that without the volume pot that came with the card I could only set Windows volume to 4% at max before my ears start to bleed. Unless by noticeable improvement you mean that those cans became usable, I don't buy it at all that Z/Zx isn't enough to get the max out of HD 598/595/599.

Jul 7, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #3,443 of 3,462
Just curious... My Zx is just plain and simple unusable if I plug my HD 595's directly into the headphone out in this card. It's so damn loud. Heck, even the line out is so loud that without the volume pot that came with the card I could only set Windows volume to 4% at max before my ears start to bleed. Unless by noticeable improvement you mean that those cans became usable, I don't buy it at all that Z/Zx isn't enough to get the max out of HD 598/595/599.

There is no issue with the volume, but its not a clear controlled driving of the headphones and its very noticeable on a pair of 598s let alone something better.

Aug 22, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #3,445 of 3,462
Have to put in this thread as warning.
Creative Z series soundcards have working problem with Gigabyte AM4 motherboards.
Problem can't be solved with todays UEFIs on first motherboard revisions.
Gigabayte and Creative know for this problem. Creative don't have solutions for this problems. Gigabyte support tell to wait UEFI update but also told some users that some motherboards have hardware issue. They still didn't provide any solution. So don't buy Gigabayte motherboards with first revisions or check did they fix problens if you want have working soundcards.

Sep 28, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #3,450 of 3,462
Hey guys! Few questions regarding the ACM on a ZXR:

- Does it hurt sound quality at all? What about with high impedance headphones?
- Will it work on a different sound card, like intended?

Thanks!

yes, the acm hurt the performance or sound, unlike the. asus ones.

I am using the Zxr Acm with asus strix dlx raid as micrphone, and it works perfect.

my headphones is connected to Mayflower electronics O2 amp with Gsx 1000

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back