Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Jun 13, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #3,421 of 3,462
It uses LME4562 op-amp for all of it channels, which is better then the common used JRC's that cards without op-amp sockets tend to use. I saw an twitter post mentioning that the RGB can be turned off by the software, It looks like it could work really well for an source.I am keeping an eye on it,I Also i emailed creative to see if it supported DSD, i hoping it does since the specs for the E9016K2M says the chip does, but just making sure. It be nice if it does so it gives me an second option in the same price range I can look at and decide on when the time is right.

All we need is reviews to get the idea of how the sound card sounds.

Jun 13, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #3,422 of 3,462
Sound BlasterX AE-5, should be released in july ... it has RGB lighting but specs sound interesting

If this one has swappable op amps i'll probably buy it

I know Im perverted nerd if the first think I want to do with a new soundcard is to see her naked
http://images.idgesg.net/images/article/2017/06/soundblaster_ae5_y-100725528-orig.jpg

no swapable opams... such a turn off :frowning2:
I wouldn't even think about buying creative till they really support 7.1 and upgrade their VSS. SBX is just not cut for it. it's good, but I think the Asus VSS is just better, because it is 7.1 .

I don't think 32bit DAC and 384 Khz will help with gaming, it will only supported for mastering, you just won't have any games support this, so I have no idea what this will give to gamers .. again, the ESS Sabre is awesome AMP , one of the best , but you won't have any upgrade quality if you already have a good AMP + DAC . to compare the Asus Strix RAID DLX and the GSX 1000 ..

And who the hell need the LED .. it's been already a clown Case with all this , Motherboard,GPUs,Fans,Ram - RGB leds , also not forget Keyboards,Mouse . Case it self and now SoundCards ... the hell with this really.. If you will want to sleep it will take you more than 5 min to turn of all the RGB lightning on all of the devices ... because there are so many. or some people might like to feel in wonderland and really want to have colourful night ... LoL :grin:

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #3,424 of 3,462
BlasterX Acoustic Engine

I am curious how it will compare to SBX, and if it will still be capable of using the optical out. Only reason I buy these cards~

Though, at least from the specs they are definitely trying to compete for higher fidelity of audio despite being a gamer card. It will never replace my dac, but raising the baseline for everyone is not a bad thing. Granted Soundblaster cards are pretty niche these days.

Jun 17, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #3,425 of 3,462
I am also a Creative ZXR owner. I ended up upgrading all 4 of the stock opamps on it. I replaced them all with the LME49710HA Metal Can opamps on adapters. For anyone who has not done this, I highly suggest it. Once you do this upgrade, the ZXR literally sounds like a different sound card. The bass becomes very fast, extended, and tight. The sounstage, and instrument separation completely opens up. Music offers far more width and depth, with much improved imaging. The treble extension, detail, and clarity vastly improves. It improves every element of the sound greatly.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #3,426 of 3,462
I am also a Creative ZXR owner. I ended up upgrading all 4 of the stock opamps on it. I replaced them all with the LME49710HA Metal Can opamps on adapters. For anyone who has not done this, I highly suggest it. Once you do this upgrade, the ZXR literally sounds like a different sound card. The bass becomes very fast, extended, and tight. The sounstage, and instrument separation completely opens up. Music offers far more width and depth, with much improved imaging. The treble extension, detail, and clarity vastly improves. It improves every element of the sound greatly.

why not the LME49990 ?

I would always prefer ESS over Texas

Jun 19, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #3,427 of 3,462
BlasterX Acoustic Engine

I am curious how it will compare to SBX, and if it will still be capable of using the optical out. Only reason I buy these cards~
Though, at least from the specs they are definitely trying to compete for higher fidelity of audio despite being a gamer card. It will never replace my DAC, but raising the baseline for everyone is not a bad thing. Granted Sound Blaster cards are pretty niche these days.
As the Z series and the AE-5 both use the same Soundcore3D audio processor, Creative's BlasterX Acoustic engine might just be Creative's SBX with the latest revisions (just guessing).

Jun 24, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #3,430 of 3,462

I haven't been on the forum for a while, but I just KNOW this is sticky posted somewhere, the instructions/"how I did the actual swap" time to engage search over 229 pages!

Jun 25, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #3,432 of 3,462
Creative is claiming 7.1 Virtual Headphone for the new card. So I'm guessing they updated SBX Pro Studio. I would assume it presents 7.1 channels to Windows, and just down mixes it to 5.1 channels if you're using 5.1 analog output.

Really interested in the reviews. My SBz has had no issues... mainly because I only use the optical output... analog channel switching bugs and other bugs with these cards only seem to related to analog out.

---

I take that back, there is one bug with my SBz even when using optical output.

The "speakers" audio resolution and frequency won't respect the "shared mode" setting in Windows when a WASAPI program finishes taking over the SPDIF-Out device.

After the WASAPI session is over, say when listening to a CD in foobar, shared mode audio using the speakers is stuck on 44.1 kHz instead of going back to 48 kHz (my shared mode setting).

It obviously has something do with how Creative tunnels the "speakers" to the "SPDIF-Out" device when you select "Play stereo mix to digital output."

But that's not a big bug. I just play a 48 kHz file when done using 44.1 kHz audio... or just doing a 48 kHz test in the audio device settings will set the optical port back to 48 kHz.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #3,433 of 3,462
Creative is claiming 7.1 Virtual Headphone for the new card. So I'm guessing they updated SBX Pro Studio. I would assume it presents 7.1 channels to Windows, and just down mixes it to 5.1 channels if you're using 5.1 analog output.

Really interested in the reviews. My SBz has had no issues... mainly because I only use the optical output... analog channel switching bugs and other bugs with these cards only seem to related to analog out.

---

I take that back, there is one bug with my SBz even when using optical output.

The "speakers" audio resolution and frequency won't respect the "shared mode" setting in Windows when a WASAPI program finishes taking over the SPDIF-Out device.

After the WASAPI session is over, say when listening to a CD in foobar, shared mode audio using the speakers is stuck on 44.1 kHz instead of going back to 48 kHz (my shared mode setting).

It obviously has something do with how Creative tunnels the "speakers" to the "SPDIF-Out" device when you select "Play stereo mix to digital output."

But that's not a big bug. I just play a 48 kHz file when done using 44.1 kHz audio... or just doing a 48 kHz test in the audio device settings will set the optical port back to 48 kHz.

he says on the review 5.1 surround emulation ...

Jun 28, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #3,434 of 3,462
Wouldn't suprise me if they just added the same thing that is present in G5 and E5 USB cards:
8186497.png

FYI, I have a Soundblaster G5 and Virtual surround 5.1 is prefferred IMO to 7.1, too many channels is only bad for headphones, too much "directions" to interpret and the steps get more narrower between them, meanwhile 5.1 the directions step out better as there's more space between making it easier to interpet that specific direction. Well that's how I'd sum it up anyway based on my own testing.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #3,435 of 3,462
I honestly would wait to purchase this card....mainly because Windows has Dolby Atmos for headphones and Windows Sonic. That is not to say that those 2 don't have any problems, which they do but I am hoping that they will be fixing and implementing more features in the coming months. Still using our higher end gear would be best when used along the different types of VSS we have available.

EDIT: It is now for sale on their site. Amazon will have it on July 5th but you can order now

https://us.creative.com/p/sound-cards/sound-blasterx-ae-5

Hardware wise, I think it is worth it althought the price probably is given because of the whole RGB bling. Get rid of the RGB and I will purchase it for 100 no questions asked.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back