Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Mar 3, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #3,392 of 3,462
Hi guys, 

I've done a lot of reading on output impedance subject and output impedance of SB ZXR. 

Some says its 10 ohm, others say its measured 40 ohm. 

So I'm using it with Fidelio X2, which has 30 ohm impedance. (Tyll says it is 35 ohm) 

Everything sounds great... but I wonder if I am missing something or I could get more from my cans. 

Bass responses, frequancy mismatching... could I spot this kind of issues by myself ? I wonder if someone used SB ZXR with Fidelio X2 and done measurements... 

Fidelio X2 is my end line for this period of time(money issues and sound signature), so is ZXR. Because I do lot of gaming and only DSP that I found useful and enjoyable is the SBX, period.(I've tried countless DSP-VSS types) The connectivity is also a plus side for me. I even connected my PS4 to ZXR.  

So, other than changing sound card or headphones, is there a way that I can lower the output impedence of ZXR. For example, a interconnection like cable+ from Burson.  (or do I even need to do something like that)

I trust your words guys. Thanks in advance. 

Mar 3, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #3,393 of 3,462

SB ZXR.   
Some says its 10 ohm, others say its measured 40 ohm. 

So, other than changing sound card or headphones, is there a way that I can lower the output impedence of ZXR. For example, a interconnection like cable+ from Burson.  (or do I even need to do something like that)

You don't need in lowering output impedance of soundcard or cable, output resistor(39Ohm) needed for property work TPA6120 on capacitance load.

If you want to increase the sound quality -> remove 4 Ceramic capacitors and replace JRC2114D with THS4062

Mar 3, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #3,394 of 3,462

You don't need in lowering output impedance of soundcard or cable, output resistor(39Ohm) needed for property work TPA6120 on capacitance load.

If you want to increase the sound quality -> remove 4 Ceramic capacitors and replace JRC2114D with THS4062

Texas instruments actually calls for a ten ohm resiter at output so yes output impedance can be lowered to ten ohms. Is it worthwhile to do that though? Really depends on headphone. Many headphone sound fine with the higher output impedance. Etymotic research actually makes a cable with about a 75 ohm resistance for thier ER4P earphones which is supposed make them more accurate.

There is much misinformation here regarding damping factor, mainly because the number given for it misrepresents how it works because of the way it is measured. The way it is measured gives the impression that damping would be more effective with high impedance drivers than low impedance drivers but the opposite is actually true because of the current that a low impedance driver can generate is much higher so a low impedance driver will stop moving quicker when the amp reaches a no signal point after a peak than a high impedance driver would. This is opposite what the damping factor measurement would indicate given that high impedance drivers compared to a low output impedance amp gives bigger numbers for damping factor than a low impedance driver would.

It is measured by the impedance of the driver divided by the ouput impedance of the amp. However a high impedance driver cannot source a lot of current compare to a low impedance driver & it is the current that the amp uses to damp the driver so the damping actually works better on low impedance drivers than it does for high impedance drivers.

That is why you will hear very little if any difference with high impedance driver headphones regardless of ouput impedance of amplifier

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #3,395 of 3,462
Hi. I bought Creative SB Z card. And I have one setting in drivers that makes me confused. It is called "distance to speakers". By default it is 0.7 m. You can not decrease the value, just increase it. What is this setting? Is it some sort of post-processing that is always on? When it is set to 0.7 m, does any of post processing take place? I would like to disable any post-processing, since I'm only interested in quality for listening to music.

Mar 20, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #3,396 of 3,462
If I had to guess, I would say that is supposed to the distance between your listening position, and the location of the speakers. It wouldn't involve post-processing, but it could involve a delay in the time it takes for a particular sound to be played in that speaker. But that is just a guess.

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #3,397 of 3,462
Would you please tell me, guys, if it's worth the upgrade from Zx to ZxR for gaming and music ?
I'm using only the headphones, Shure SRH 1540
Does the ZxR sounds better than Zx ?
Thank you

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #3,398 of 3,462
  Would you please tell me, guys, if it's worth the upgrade from Zx to ZxR for gaming and music ?
I'm using only the headphones, Shure SRH 1540
Does the ZxR sounds better than Zx ?
Thank you

The Z and Zx and ZxR use the same Soundcore3D audio processor, so are equal when it comes to SBX Headphone surround sound.

The ZxR does come with a better DAC chip and op-amps (operational amplifiers), then the Zx (& Z)
How much practical improvement in audio quality, with the ZxR over the Zx, not something I can answer.

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #3,399 of 3,462
Hi. I bought Creative SB Z card. And I have one setting in drivers that makes me confused. It is called "distance to speakers". By default it is 0.7 m. You can not decrease the value, just increase it. What is this setting? Is it some sort of post-processing that is always on? When it is set to 0.7 m, does any of post processing take place? I would like to disable any post-processing, since I'm only interested in quality for listening to music.

it simply sets a delay for each channel so the sounds reach the listening position at the same time... mostly useful for surround sound setups since stereo configurations more often than not have the 2 speakers equal distance from the listener while surround setups are not as easy to keep all the speakers equal distance

for example at my desk my surround speakers are closer to my head than my front l/r and my center channel is actually farther from my head... now this example is one where the difference in distance is measured in a couple inches and makes no real difference some desk layouts may need a more drastic shift in the surround positioning where you are talking feet of difference so playing the sounds in the fronts a hair behind the surrounds balances it a little

Mar 21, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #3,400 of 3,462
Can anybody here please give attention on my ZXR post?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/840731/zxr-beating-the-hell-out-of-stx-ii

Mar 21, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #3,401 of 3,462
  It wouldn't involve post-processing, but it could involve a delay in the time it takes for a particular sound to be played in that speaker. But that is just a guess.

it simply sets a delay for each channel so the sounds reach the listening position at the same time... 

Thanks for respond!

It turns out that only the difference in the distance to the left and right channel matters? For example, a distance of 2'4'' is now set for each speaker. If I set any EQUAL value, for example, 7'10 "(maximum) for each, nothing will change? And ONLY if values for left and right channel are different a stream to one of that channels (depending on which is further) will be sent with a delay. Right?

Apr 5, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #3,402 of 3,462
What options should I play games  when they have to choose 5.1/Surround ?  Home-Cinema ? Stereo ? HI-FI ? Headphones ?  usually choosing Headphones is not good because then it uses it's own HTRF  so it's not good.  but I saw people using this for Battlefield 1  Surround + Headphones with 7.1 GSX 1000 device.

What should I choose when using the Creative ZXR  ?            
What should I use when using the Asus Xonar Phoebus ?

it is so confusing I'm not sure anymore.

Anyway to check what it sound correctly ?

Which is how Creative Laboratories® came up with the SB1550 Audigy 5 and RX - basically a redesign of the SB0610 Audigy 4 for PCI-Express.  I'm still waiting for a shielded PCIe card based on the CA10200-IAT with a MIDI and S/P-DIF breakout harness but no game port (the joystick port being obsoleted in favor of USB), as I could use more independently-adjustable analog inputs.

And how is the ,. is it any good compare to the ZXR ?     I liked the CMSS/3D  , but is it really better still ?

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #3,403 of 3,462
  What options should I play games  when they have to choose 5.1/Surround ?  Home-Cinema ? Stereo ? HI-FI ? Headphones ?  usually choosing Headphones is not good because then it uses it's own HTRF  so it's not good.  but I saw people using this for Battlefield 1  Surround + Headphones with 7.1 GSX 1000 device.

What should I choose when using the Creative ZXR  ?            
What should I use when using the Asus Xonar Phoebus ?
it is so confusing I'm not sure anymore.
Anyway to check what it sound correctly ?

I believe "Home Cinema" setting will work well with a sound card that come with Dolby,
sound cards with the C-Media audio processors, like a lot of the Asus sound cards that come with Dolby Headphone.

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #3,404 of 3,462
I believe "Home Cinema" setting will work well with a sound card that come with Dolby,
sound cards with the C-Media audio processors, like a lot of the Asus sound cards that come with Dolby Headphone.
does it have the surround distance that you can hear something and know where it coming from ? I find it hard to hear using the sbx. some test someone did I barely heard the FPS footsteps . let's say someone talking on left so if you turn around you will start hearing him from all around depends on your location and distance from it low and high below and above ?

Apr 7, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #3,405 of 3,462
I have active speakers that have a line-level sub out. 
I want to buy a powered sub.

The system is used on my PC, and I have a SBZ.

The problem is for movies, the speakers wont receive the .1 channel to send to the sub.

The speakers are connect by usb now, and they have their built in amp/dac.

If I am able to connect my speakers to the L/R line-out of the SBZ, and then connect the powered sub to the sub-out of SBZ, will this solve my issue of losing out the LFE?

Will/Can I have to use SBZ to crossover the stereo channels to the subwoofer at 80hz?

I was thinking of leaving windows and sbz as 5.1, then deselecting center, rear, and surround, and just leave front and subwoofer selected, and set the crossover, all from sbz pro studio.

Should I select the speakers as full-range or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back