Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Jan 30, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #3,361 of 3,462
  Just a quick question on the Titanium HD on behalf of a friend of mine - if he uses the optical out of the sound card to his external dac audio-gd NFB-12, does it still use the card dac to process the sound? Or do he have to connect to the RCA outs in order to use the sound card's DAC? 
Either way what would be the best way to get the best possible sound:
1. Set  PC to Titanium to NFB-12 dac by Optical out from card.
2. Set PC-Titanium HD to NFB-12 dac by Optical out, then RCA out to a Schiit Asgard amp and plug the headphones to the Asgard? 
2. Set PC-Titanium HD to Schiit Asgard amp by RCA out of sound card, never use the NFB-12 at all.
Cheers for your input in advance, guys.

If he is running S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) from the Ti-HD (Titanium-HD), then he is bypassing the Ti-HD's DAC and using the the NFB-12's DAC (dual WM8741 chips).
If he has no need for the Ti-HD's CMSS-3D's headphone surround sound, then he can sell off the Ti-HD and connect the NFB-12 straight to the computer (USB or optical).

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #3,363 of 3,462
I wonder if it has been confirmed that SBX Surround for Headphone is identical to THX Trusturio Pro in old Titanium X-Fi Creative cards.
I could not find any direct comparisons on Youtube (THX vs SBX).
Right now I'm picking a card mainly for Headphone HRTF, to output digital signal to external DAC and eventually to Headphone.

From tests on Youtube I figured I prefer both SBX and THX to CMSS-3D (the latter makes sound too bright and weakens bass).
Just can't choose between the two.

Feb 4, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #3,364 of 3,462
  I wonder if it has been confirmed that SBX Surround for Headphone is identical to THX Trustudio Pro in old Titanium X-Fi Creative cards.
I could not find any direct comparisons on Youtube (THX vs SBX).
Right now I'm picking a card mainly for Headphone HRTF, to output digital signal to external DAC and eventually to Headphone.

From tests on Youtube I figured I prefer both SBX and THX to CMSS-3D (the latter makes sound too bright and weakens bass).
Just can't choose between the two.

I'm not the expert......but
I do not think the older Titanium series of internal sound cards (PCI & PCI-E) used THX Trustudio Pro?
I believe THX TruStudio Pro came out when Creative launched the Recon3D cards, which used the newer SoundCore3D audio processor.
The even newer Z series cards use the same SoundCore3D audio processor, but come with SBX software.

My two cents is to get a Sound Blaster Z card and run optical to the external DAC.

Feb 4, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #3,365 of 3,462
Yes, dont spend money on ZxR and opamps .... I've done this and well it's "lost" money ... :frowning2: better to by a schiit dac ....

From my experience, for best combo at "good" price :
Z => optical out => schiit mudi2 multibit => vala 2 or project ember

Best budget :
Z => optical out => xduoo xd-05

Feb 4, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #3,367 of 3,462
I use the sbz for surround processing when I game. I have it optical out going into my asgard 2 and bifrost uber.

In the sbz control panel, make sure you go ot the advanced features tab and select "play stereo mix to digital output" so it sends the processed sound to your amp and dac.

Feb 5, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #3,370 of 3,462

I'm not the expert......but
I do not think the older Titanium series of internal sound cards (PCI & PCI-E) used THX Trustudio Pro?
I believe THX TruStudio Pro came out when Creative launched the Recon3D cards, which used the newer SoundCore3D audio processor.
The even newer Z series cards use the same SoundCore3D audio processor, but come with SBX software.

My two cents is to get a Sound Blaster Z card and run optical to the external DAC.

Official site says Titanium series have THX...
As far as I know, Titanium only exist with PCI-E.
That is because Titanium are 2nd gen X-Fi cards, while the 1st gen (Xtreme Gamer, Fatal1ty series, Elite Pro) existed with PCI as well.

Also check videos on Youtube comparing various HRTF, specifically Bioshock Infinite - it clearly says Titanium was used to record THX Trustudio sound.

My choice is between Titanium (non-HD) and SBZ.
Of course there is no point in getting higher-end versions if I only need their digital processing capabilities.

Feb 5, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #3,372 of 3,462

Official site says Titanium series have THX...
As far as I know, Titanium only exist with PCI-E.
That is because Titanium are 2nd gen X-Fi cards, while the 1st gen (Xtreme Gamer, Fatal1ty series, Elite Pro) existed with PCI as well.

Also check videos on Youtube comparing various HRTF, specifically Bioshock Infinite - it clearly says Titanium was used to record THX Trustudio sound.

My choice is between Titanium (non-HD) and SBZ.
Of course there is no point in getting higher-end versions if I only need their digital processing capabilities.

Your original question was THX vs SBX, which I believe are two separate functions.
SBX Headphone is for surround sound, while THX is for tweaking audio quality (like for music).

Any Titanium series of sound card (PCI or PCI-E) that comes with THX, will still use CMSS-3D for headphone surround sound (and hardware EAX 5.0)
The Titanium series of sound cards and older cards like the Xtreme Music, Xtreme Gamer, Fata1ly, Elite Pro, etc all used the same series of DSP chip.
The Titanium series just used the latest tweaked version of that series of that DSP chip design.

The part of Bioshock Infinite "Titanium was used to record THX Trustudio sound" seems more like a marketing advertisement, then a relevant fact for picking a sound card.

Feb 5, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #3,373 of 3,462
1st Stage Rear and Center/Sub SMD op-amps upgraded! If I did this again I could do it without lifting pads/traces now that I have good desolder wick and MG Chemicals flux & solder paste. Grabbed some ChipQuick, just in case I need it for taking out something with 8+ connections.

This is by far the messiest soldering job I have posted to a forum but never had to repair half a dozen lifted pads/traces and not given up on it, haha. To my knowledge, nobody has ever tried to replace the SMD op-amps on the ZXR, I mean who the hell would? An Electrical Engineering student with an addiction to modding hardware! I have dozens of hours already invested into soldering this card doing the DC cap mod and rolling op-amps to find the perfect combo.

I wasn't going to quit after a pad (connection point) lifted off the PCB with the stock op-amp (or 7 more) leaving me bare plastic in its place. Then you need to figure out where the connection comes from (what direction on the PCB), then scratch off some plastic at the nearest spot possible until you see copper and then bridge something between that and the op-amp leg! (Be careful, you can easily scratch off the copper or go too deep in a multi-layer PCB and hit a 2nd, incorrect copper trace)

Note: 600F is about where the solder used on the ZXr flows easily, at least in dealing with the metal combos I had. Their solder goes molten around 475F but doesn't make solid connections till ~525F+.

Will let you know my opinions later on if there is any noticeable change going from the stock JRC 2114s  to BB 2604AUs. 

The 2nd op-amp from the bottom (in the pic below) had pad #7 pull up and this trace (connection line) actually runs underneath the op-amp itself. This means the leg I added to bridge the lifted pad is running under the op-amp. Try getting that to make a solid connection without bridging legs! Leg/pad #1 on the bottom op-amp is also like this, so this was definitely a learning experience for me, dealing with such close quarter connections/repairs.

(had my lowest end op-amps in place during testing in case of a serious malfunction)

Leg/Pad #1 and Leg/Pad #7 are the outputs of the op-amp which explains why these are the only two traces seen leaving the op-amp. All other legs are inputs & Vcc/GND. Their traces all come from the sides, so if you ever need to repair the traces on the SMD op-amps remember that. You can always get a trace going towards the outside of the original pads except for pads #1 and #7 (this is true of all dual-dip op-amps in this location on the ZXR, other cards/equipment may vary). For pads #1 and #7 you will need to piggyback onto the correct output trace; hold a flashlight at the correct angle and you can see the traces (downward at a 45 degree, then straight down). This will usually result in a replacement pad/bridge laying under the op-amp itself which is the hardest way to repair a pulled pad. Avoid damaging these locations!! If nothing else make sure you got pads #1 and #7 off cleanly.

A reminder, here is the signal chain:

Some of my modding rig tools:

Also, you can buy sockets for SMD to DIP-8, but you only have room for the 1st stage of SMD op-amps, the 2nd stage is surrounded by capacitors. I personally think $5 a piece is a little high for an adapter, but it is a pretty unique item: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361490134147?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #3,374 of 3,462

Your original question was THX vs SBX, which I believe are two separate functions.
SBX Headphone is for surround sound, while THX is for tweaking audio quality (like for music).

Any Titanium series of sound card (PCI or PCI-E) that comes with THX, will still use CMSS-3D for headphone surround sound (and hardware EAX 5.0)
The Titanium series of sound cards and older cards like the Xtreme Music, Xtreme Gamer, Fata1ly, Elite Pro, etc all used the same series of DSP chip.
The Titanium series just used the latest tweaked version of that series of that DSP chip design.

The part of Bioshock Infinite "Titanium was used to record THX Trustudio sound" seems more like a marketing advertisement, then a relevant fact for picking a sound card.

Well, isn't "surround sound" virtualisation another way of tweaking audio quality?
You can use THX TruSturio Pro for music, video, gaming just as SBX Surround.
You might want to read more about THX TruSturio Pro here. It is meant to do the same as SBX Surround. That is why I'm comparing them.

Please take into account that I'm only talking about modern games, with no support for DS3D or OpenAL.
So CMSS-3D or any other tech only does 7.1/5.1 -> Headphone.

Titanium X-fi cards have CMSS-3D in Game Mode, and THX TruSturio in Entertainment Mode.
They do their job very differently, which is proved by comparison videos on Youtube.
BTW the Bioshock Infinite video I referred to is not a marketing one, it just shows how different surround techs do their job and lets you pick which you like best.

Also I heard THX TruSturio could be software tech, calculated on CPU instead of X-Fi DSP. Yet to confirm it.

Feb 6, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #3,375 of 3,462

Well, isn't "surround sound" virtualisation another way of tweaking audio quality?
You can use THX TruSturio Pro for music, video, gaming just as SBX Surround.
You might want to read more about THX TruSturio Pro here. It is meant to do the same as SBX Surround. That is why I'm comparing them.

Please take into account that I'm only talking about modern games, with no support for DS3D or OpenAL.
So CMSS-3D or any other tech only does 7.1/5.1 -> Headphone.

Titanium X-fi cards have CMSS-3D in Game Mode, and THX TruSturio in Entertainment Mode.
They do their job very differently, which is proved by comparison videos on Youtube.
BTW the Bioshock Infinite video I referred to is not a marketing one, it just shows how different surround techs do their job and lets you pick which you like best.

Also I heard THX TruSturio could be software tech, calculated on CPU instead of X-Fi DSP. Yet to confirm it.

As CPU processing power has increased over the years, I would expect more audio processing is switched over from the DSP audio processor to the main CPU.
As Trustudio Pro will work off the DSP used in the Titanium cards and the newer Soundcore3D and Realtek audio processor, I would expect Trustudio Pro to off load a fair amount of it's workload off to the main CPU.
I would expect Creative Labs to take a fair amount of the Trustudio Pro functions and add it to the newer Z series (Z, Zx, ZxR) cards and integrate with SBX.

If your more into modern games, can't see any reason for buying an older Titanium card, over the newer Z series of cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back