Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Jan 16, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #3,346 of 3,462
  I've tried Googling the answer to my question but I found conflicting information. In order to retain the SBX features when connecting my Sound Blaster Z to an external amp with headphones, am I required to also have an external DAC connected to the card with an optical cable? Or can I simply use something like this to connect the SBZ to the amp: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015PZ7QO2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Creative Z series (Z, Zx, ZxR) can send their SBX Headphone surround sound out the S/PDIF (optical/coaxial) output.
but not the line-output (RCA or 3.5mm) jacks.

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #3,347 of 3,462

The Creative Z series (Z, Zx, ZxR) can send their SBX Headphone surround sound out the S/PDIF (optical/coaxial) output.
but not the line-output (RCA or 3.5mm) jacks.

Thanks. So do you think this would work to keep SBX:

1. SBZ connected to Modi 2 Uber with optical cable
2. Modi 2 Uber connected to Magni 2 with RCA cables
3. Headphones plugged into Magni 2

Jan 17, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #3,348 of 3,462

Yea, I like to push that combo, lower costing sound card, using S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) connected to an external DAC and amp.
Later on you might even consider swapping the Magni 2 for a tube headphone amplifier.

Jan 17, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #3,350 of 3,462

I own a highly modded ZXR, but I wanted to give a little input on this question since I own 3 different home setups for headphones, lol.

Option 1: If you run an optical cable from the SBZ you won't be getting the benefits of the SBZ's DAC (analog sound); you are sending an encoded (digital) signal to another DAC if you use optical. This is a good thing if your highest quality DAC isn't the SBZ, but if it is, see the 2nd option.

Option 2: If you run RCA cables from the SBZ to the Magni 2 you will be getting the raw output from the SBZ (already been through DAC on the SBZ) with all the features of the sound card. I run this setup sometimes when SPDIF won't work right in some software with my Aune T1. So I just run two RCA cables from my ZXR to my Little Bear P5-1 -> Magni 2 or E12.

Option 3: You can also run from the amplified headphone out to another amplifier of better quality, but I prefer not to double amp headphones when you can avoid it. This is due to risk of damage to the headphones if crap hits the fan (both volumes @ 100% w/ high gain). You will see people recommending this to maintain the headphone effects, but I recommend using the RCA (line out) method mentioned above over this unless there is something really special offered only out of the headphone jack. If so make sure you never turn your SBZ above say 50% volume, use your 2nd amp as the volume control. I still highly discourage doing this as hum and cross talk is a possibility.

Most of this is related to information I know to be true on the ZXR and I believe it applies across the board for Z series, someone correct me if I am wrong.

Jan 17, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #3,351 of 3,462

I own a highly modded ZXR, but I wanted to give a little input on this question since I own 3 different home setups for headphones, lol.

Option 1: If you run an optical cable from the SBZ you won't be getting the benefits of the SBZ's DAC (analog sound); you are sending an encoded (digital) signal to another DAC if you use optical. This is a good thing if your highest quality DAC isn't the SBZ, but if it is, see the 2nd option.

Option 2: If you run RCA cables from the SBZ to the Magni 2 you will be getting the raw output from the SBZ (already been through DAC on the SBZ) with all the features of the sound card. I run this setup sometimes when SPDIF won't work right in some software with my Aune T1. So I just run two RCA cables from my ZXR to my Little Bear P5-1 -> Magni 2 or E12.

Option 3: You can also run from the amplified headphone out to another amplifier of better quality, but I prefer not to double amp headphones when you can avoid it. This is due to risk of damage to the headphones if crap hits the fan (both volumes @ 100% w/ high gain). You will see people recommending this to maintain the headphone effects, but I recommend using the RCA (line out) method mentioned above over this unless there is something really special offered only out of the headphone jack. If so make sure you never turn your SBZ above say 50% volume, use your 2nd amp as the volume control. I still highly discourage doing this as hum and cross talk is a possibility.

Most of this is related to information I know to be true on the ZXR and I believe it applies across the board for Z series, someone correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks a lot for the info. The Magni 2 was delivered today and SBX is working with the card connected with a 3.5>RCA cable. Once the Modi arrives it sounds like your first option will be the way to go.

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #3,353 of 3,462
How would you say the Sound Blaster ZX compares to the Audioengine D1 in terms of pure audio quality? On paper the Sound Blaster has better specs. Higher frequency response, higher SNR.

I would get the Sound Blaster Z card,
skip on the ACM module, get a headphone extension cable.

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #3,354 of 3,462
I've tried Googling the answer to my question but I found conflicting information. In order to retain the SBX features when connecting my Sound Blaster Z to an external amp with headphones, am I required to also have an external DAC connected to the card with an optical cable? Or can I simply use something like this to connect the SBZ to the amp: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015PZ7QO2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hello
Related question : can I use hardware effects and support (EAX, 3D surround, dd, dts, etc) with an external DAC (with integrated amp) connected through optical spdif ?

Thx in advance

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #3,355 of 3,462
Hello
Related question : can I use hardware effects and support (EAX, 3D surround, dd, dts, etc) with an external DAC (with integrated amp) connected through optical spdif ?

Thx in advance

Yes, I currently run optical from my SB:Z to my external DAC and then out to my amp. I get the full SBX surround functionality.

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #3,357 of 3,462
Hello,

I have received and tested  my new op amp :
- I/V : AD827SQ  DUal
- Buffers : NE5534P Mono (build by TI ... i know, i'm waiting from signetics)

And there's missing something ...  perhaps it's the impact ? or the dynamics ... . but i find the sound "bloated". Cleary I'm not "rocking" :frowning2:
By the way, good news, no sibilance in  high medium or trebbler.
I was using a DT1770.

Well maybe the probleme come from NE5534P By TI
raymond555 says "TI 5534 sounds like crap" so .... i will retry with the stock buffers op amp.

Anothers questions :
- With the headphone output all  op amp are used ? both buffers and I/V ?
- Samething or not with RCA output ?

Thank you in advance.
Regards,

Jan 29, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #3,358 of 3,462
Just a quick question on the Titanium HD on behalf of a friend of mine - if he uses the optical out of the sound card to his external dac audio-gd NFB-12, does it still use the card dac to process the sound? Or do he have to connect to the RCA outs in order to use the sound card's DAC? 

Either way what would be the best way to get the best possible sound:

1. Set  PC to Titanium to NFB-12 dac by Optical out from card.

2. Set PC-Titanium HD to NFB-12 dac by Optical out, then RCA out to a Schiit Asgard amp and plug the headphones to the Asgard? 

2. Set PC-Titanium HD to Schiit Asgard amp by RCA out of soundcard, never use the NFB-12 at all.

Cheers for your input in advance, guys.

Jan 30, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #3,360 of 3,462
Upgrading the 1st stage SMD op-amps on the ZXR... I had about 6 of the traces lift off the PCB during desoldering which leaves me with somewhat of a challenge to bridge gaps to the new location for that trace connection (that I had to scratch off plastic to find).

If anyone else thinks about doing this, practice a lot with an SMD learning kit before touching the ZXR. I have a decade of soldering experience, but only about a year of surface mount experience and you can see what happened.

The issue is getting all the legs to heat up and stay molten when you remove them. If I did it again I would go leg by leg with a standard iron and a tool to lift each leg. Using a hot air re-worker on this did not go well and I ended up using a Weller digital soldering station to remove them.

Will post back once I finish the mod and will make a thread if it's worth all the trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back