Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Apr 10, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #2,806 of 3,462
Hey,

If we try to dig deep then it seems that Z have 22 ohms output impedance and K612 PRO is 120 Ohms headphone, there is rule of 1/8 that means that Z will perform better on higher impedance headphones.. 22x8 Ohms. But you know that rules, you could never hear the difference. I think you will be OK :)

About in game surround. Turn on SBX surround and turn-OFF everything else in SBX. Set surround % to something like 30% for start. Windows should be set to 5.1 game also if it is possible. Try it out.'

UPD: BTW CS as far as i know it doesn't have any surround after some version, so just keep it plain stereo for best performance. Maybe CS:GO different.. If it supports 5.1 then SBX willmake it virtual for you.

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #2,807 of 3,462

I've never actually used the ASIO output option with the ZXR.  How does that sound compared to WASAPI?  Also do I need to do anything in foobar?  I don't see ASIO as an option the output device.

Really hard to tell if there any real difference and from what i know there should be any significant difference. To use ASIO you need foobar component http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_asio and ASIO driver, it should already be installed.

One general thing about playing music on PC, you should use same hardware settings as recording have, example if recording is 16 bit 44.1 CD then it is best to keep your setting like this, you will avoid resampling if your settings is 24 bit 96kHz as example.. Again i personally do not have that great ears to hear most of difference people are talking about but it is just like some "best practice"

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #2,808 of 3,462
  Hey,

If we try to dig deep then it seems that Z have 22 ohms output impedance and K612 PRO is 120 Ohms headphone, there is rule of 1/8 that means that Z will perform better on higher impedance headphones.. 22x8 Ohms. But you know that rules, you could never hear the difference. I think you will be OK :)

About in game surround. Turn on SBX surround and turn-OFF everything else in SBX. Set surround % to something like 30% for start. Windows should be set to 5.1 game also if it is possible. Try it out.'

UPD: BTW CS as far as i know it doesn't have any surround after some version, so just keep it plain stereo for best performance. Maybe CS:GO different.. If it supports 5.1 then SBX willmake it virtual for you.

then for u sbz is worth or i sell and use onboard?i have found this 
http://i.imgur.com/ytnbraE.png
what do you think is better for gaming?i have tourned all effect off and sbx at 30% at moment ^^

Apr 10, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #2,809 of 3,462
Hmmm I have an interesting situation.
I am using the SB ZxR and I have the Senn HD 700 (150 Ohm) and Shure SRH 1540 (46 Ohm).

I am using the ACM to plug in my HP. Issue is that the HD 700 seems to be the louder headphone.

I keep the PC volume at 100 and have to push the ACM to 80% volume to get a decent sound level with the Shure SRH1540. With the HD 700 I don't even have to be at 50% to enjoy music at med-high volume. But it's not the same with the Shure. It's really pissing me off since I upgraded to this sound card because of the ACM. And I thought the Any thoughts? Thanks!

Apr 10, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #2,810 of 3,462
  then for u sbz is worth or i sell and use onboard?i have found this 
http://i.imgur.com/ytnbraE.png
what do you think is better for gaming?i have tourned all effect off and sbx at 30% at moment ^^

You see it is virtual surround not true 5.1, SBX won't help here and i think only make worse.., use headphone setting in-game and SBX surround OFF and see how the positioning looks like to you. Then you could try in game virtual 5.1 leaving SBX surround OFF.

I think Z would still be better, it has headphone amp and not so bad DAC, you should have better overall experience even in games. And what i found my ZxR manages microphone much better than friends on-board. And you could use SBX surr. in other games in future or other SBX features you may like :)

Apr 10, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #2,811 of 3,462
  Hmmm I have an interesting situation.
I am using the SB ZxR and I have the Senn HD 700 (150 Ohm) and Shure SRH 1540 (46 Ohm).

I am using the ACM to plug in my HP. Issue is that the HD 700 seems to be the louder headphone.

I keep the PC volume at 100 and have to push the ACM to 80% volume to get a decent sound level with the Shure SRH1540. With the HD 700 I don't even have to be at 50% to enjoy music at med-high volume. But it's not the same with the Shure. It's really pissing me off since I upgraded to this sound card because of the ACM. And I thought the Any thoughts? Thanks!

Hey, this is where rule of 1/8 comes in, and ZxR has 10 or 40 ohms impedance according to various sources:

"The greater the output impedance the greater the voltage drop with lower impedance loads. This drop can be large to enough to prevent driving low impedance headphones to sufficiently loud levels." ,

And Shure is 99 dB/mW and Senn 105 so they goes louder easier. You could try ZxR in high gain (though lower always better) ZxR should not be able damage both your HP in high gain.

Keep PC volume at 80 for best quality and use ACM, but ACM is one more point in chain so it can only make worse not better..

Apr 11, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #2,812 of 3,462
  Hey, this is where rule of 1/8 comes in, and ZxR has 10 or 40 ohms impedance according to various sources:

It is indeed 40ohms I found the resistors & measured them.

At high gain the ZXR can damage low impedance headphones.

Apr 11, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #2,814 of 3,462
High Gain mode works....I don't see how it will damage the headphones but the volume went considerably higher...thanks!

Apr 11, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #2,815 of 3,462
To anyone else running a mid to high end 5.1 setup, have you found there is a sweet spot on the SBX Surround found around 39% for stereo sources into 5.1?

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #2,817 of 3,462
When you go past ~40% with stereo sources the center channel just takes over and the left/right speakers are drowned out.  CS:GO is in 5.1 already, do you use SBX Surround on top of it?

BTW, I stopped using SBX's Crystalizer after a year or so because I found it makes my speakers sound sterile instead of their warm signature.

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #2,818 of 3,462
Pretty much just make sure your windows settings and games are set to 5.1, as you put the sound card control panel to headphones and then enable SBX and pick a %. SBX shouldn't be used as well neither of the settings when you are listening to music as they screw up the music.

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #2,819 of 3,462
So as long as the song sounds clear in High Gain mode, the headphones should be ok I presume? I am not hearing any distortion or bottoming out when I play both Senn HD 700 and Shure 1540 in High Gain mode...

Apr 11, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #2,820 of 3,462
I run on a 2.1 speaker setup. It defaults to stereo in windows. I don't really notice much difference with sbx surround on or off at 67%. I just leave it on anyways. Maybe the music becomes a bit more forward if anything.

For my headphones. I have it default to 5.1 in windows and i turn off all sbx effects since they are higher end headphones. 
My only question is am i getting the best quality at 5.1 in windows? (sbz default)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back