Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Oct 16, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #2,491 of 3,462
  i liked the SBX but when i tried 5.1 + ddl it was better imo . thats why am asking if i got the cheapest dac ever just to benefit from the optical port will it affect the blaster's sound quality ?

No because when you are using optical, the sound card is just acting as a Digital Transport device sending over the sound card DSP features. You will only get the benefits of the sound blaster sound quality if you are using analog. What you heard was the work of the astro mix amp when you plugged the Z into it thru optical.

Oct 16, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #2,492 of 3,462
  No because when you are using optical, the sound card is just acting as a Digital Transport device sending over the sound card DSP features. You will only get the benefits of the sound blaster sound quality if you are using analog. What you heard was the work of the astro mix amp when you plugged the Z into it thru optical.s

thanks so you mean if if i plugged the any DAC to my sound card it wont badly affect the sound quality !

Oct 16, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #2,493 of 3,462

thanks so you mean if if i plugged the any DAC to my sound card it wont badly affect the sound quality !

yea, as I did this all the time when I wanted to send the sound card features over to a dac thru Digital.

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #2,496 of 3,462

thats cool :d what do you recommend ?

Depends on your budget but the Schiit audio's Modni dac with optical input + Magni amp total's $199, but that price is close to the Audio-GD NFB15 2014 which is a dac and amp unit which is $239 Which has usb,Optical and coaxial for input's in-case you wanted to plug more then one devices into it. You might be able to find a older model NFB15.32 in the F/S section of the forum if you have luck on your side as it should be going for a good price, if you able to find one.

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #2,497 of 3,462
Alternatively, the Aune X1 Pro at $229 which is even more versatile than the Audio GD NFB15. Amp is slightly on the weak side, but will still handle Q701 without breaking a sweat. Also has DSD support if you are ever going to dive into all that new mumbo jumbo no-compromise format.

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #2,498 of 3,462
  Depends on your budget but the Schiit audio's Modni dac with optical input + Magni amp total's $199, but that price is close to the Audio-GD NFB15 2014 which is a dac and amp unit which is $239 Which has usb,Optical and coaxial for input's in-case you wanted to plug more then one devices into it. You might be able to find a older model NFB15.32 in the F/S section of the forum if you have luck on your side as it should be going for a good price, if you able to find one.

wow i just want optical in thats it. i just want something to work as signal transfer as you said. i would go for the cheapest as long as it get the job without badly affecting the sound .

Oct 17, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #2,499 of 3,462

wow i just want optical in thats it. i just want something to work as signal transfer as you said. i would go for the cheapest as long as it get the job without badly affecting the sound .

The way you worded it you had me thinking that you was gonna remove the astro mix amp from the chain and use a standalone headphone amp with the external dac or a all in one unit, while keeping the sound blaster Z in for gaming and connect that to the external dac thru digital. That's where my suggestions was coming from. If your gonna keep the astro then there no reason for a external dac at all especially if your gonna get a super cheap to use with your sound blaster Z, ince you will be better off using your Z analog out in that case. Unless your planning on removing your Z and using something like a Sabre U2 usb in it place which can be found cheap for $49 which has a combo analog/optical jack that you would use a 3.5 to tos-link adapter and connect it to your Astro mix amp.

When you originally did try the Z to the astro using digital, did you make sure you had the option in the advance tab check for sending stereo mix to spdif out. Which is the only way the Z will send it DSP functions over optical. Also did you set windows and games to 5.1 and kept the creative Z panel to headphone mode when you was using SBX surround. If you don't do this then it won't work correctly. It has to be done this way so The function can  downmix the 5.1 to 2.0 for the headphone. Which why SBX surround work best set up this way, so it will greatly, which also applies to CMSS3D Headphone and Dolby headphone usage.  Do not set spdif out on the Z as the default playback device, if you do this then the card won't be sending any of it features to your mix amp thru Digital.

Oct 17, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #2,500 of 3,462
  The way you worded it you had me thinking that you was gonna remove the astro mix amp from the chain and use a standalone headphone amp with the external dac or a all in one unit, while keeping the sound blaster Z in for gaming and connect that to the external dac thru digital. That's where my suggestions was coming from. If your gonna keep the astro then there no reason for a external dac at all especially if your gonna get a super cheap to use with your sound blaster Z, ince you will be better off using your Z analog out in that case. Unless your planning on removing your Z and using something like a Sabre U2 usb in it place which can be found cheap for $49 which has a combo analog/optical jack that you would use a 3.5 to tos-link adapter and connect it to your Astro mix amp.

When you originally did try the Z to the astro using digital, did you make sure you had the option in the advance tab check for sending stereo mix to spdif out. Which is the only way the Z will send it DSP functions over optical. Also did you set windows and games to 5.1 and kept the creative Z panel to headphone mode when you was using SBX surround. If you don't do this then it won't work correctly. It has to be done this way so The function can  downmix the 5.1 to 2.0 for the headphone. Which why SBX surround work best set up this way, so it will greatly, which also applies to CMSS3D Headphone and Dolby headphone usage.  Do not set spdif out on the Z as the default playback device, if you do this then the card won't be sending any of it features to your mix amp thru Digital.

i have a problem with my mixamp so thats why am asking about a new device to benefit its optical port. when i first tried it i remember i disable stereo mix ( there is no difference on/off ). when i used headphone port i set windows and games to 5.1 with headphones when using sbx . yea but it feels like 2 channels virtualized but the 5.1 with optical feels more natural surround. my pint is if i get a 20$ dac will it affect the sound quality ?

Oct 17, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #2,501 of 3,462
The cheapest one is the Fiio D3 and yes it will affect the sound quality as you are using analog as the D3 analog quality wont be as good as the Z's. Which why I mentioned you might as well just plug your Z analog out into your Astro RCA inputs. Because that would be better off then using the Fiio D3.

Oct 17, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #2,502 of 3,462
The cheapest one is the Fiio D3 and yes it will affect the sound quality as you are using analog as the D3 analog quality wont be as good as the Z's. Which why I mentioned you might as well just plug your Z analog out into your Astro RCA inputs. Because that would be better off then using the Fiio D3.

Thats disappointing . From what you just said even the mixamp is affecting the Z . So what do you think ? I wanna use 5.1 + ddl what is cheapest dac that wont badly affect the quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #2,503 of 3,462
Hey guys. I've had the ZXR for a long time but have recently made the switch to linux. Creative doesn't support Linux, however, the operating system recognizes the device but doesn't play anything through it (speakers or headset). When I restart my computer into windows my sound works but my microphone does not. I can restart a hundred times, it won't help- I have to do a full shut down and then boot into windows for it to work. What I noticed was the Relay Click doesn't go off in Linux. Is there a way I can physically force it or something?

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #2,504 of 3,462
  Hey guys. I've had the ZXR for a long time but have recently made the switch to Linux. Creative doesn't support Linux, however, the operating system recognizes the device but doesn't play anything through it (speakers or headset). When I restart my computer into windows my sound works but my microphone does not. I can restart a hundred times, it won't help- I have to do a full shut down and then boot into windows for it to work. What I noticed was the Relay Click doesn't go off in Linux. Is there a way I can physically force it or something?

Sell off the SB-ZxR and get something more Linux compatible.
Is your (or was your) SB-ZxR for gaming or movies or music or all three?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back