14  11  15  12  10  11  14  20  21  17

HP100 Music
19  16  13  16  12  10  15  18  17  15

HP100 First
18  16  12  15  10  12  17  16  23  20

HP100 Music Less Bass
11  15  14  11  13  14  12  16  19  17

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #1,984 of 3,462
  You prefer the DT990 over the Q701 for gaming?

Couldn't say this, haven't heard Q701, chosen DT990 "blindly" by reading reviews and threads here, MadLust thread helped to go DT990 for games as i was afraid Q701 will lack bass in games (and ATH-A900X for my ears seems to have a bit dull bass) so i was afraid to get another headphones lacking bass, that was the main aspect. Of course i can't directly compare DT and ATH as one is opened other closed and sound is different. Also really can't tell i am a bass addict, but in games explosions and other stuff really can sound different with/without enough clear/bright bass.

Again, only thing i din't get Q701 was the fear of weak bass, and this fear was only based on reviews. DT990 on the other hand seems sometimes to have harsh heights, but it depends on ears and in games it seems not to be a problem.

Another question are you ok with open headphones, keep in mind that if You have a lot of background noise in room than they may sound strange.

Feb 20, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #1,985 of 3,462
  Hi,

ZxR support DDL and DTS connect (http://www.soundblaster.com/products/sound-blaster-zx.aspx#specs) other than this will need software decoding by your movie player. Also check specs for output, it has Front/Back/Center 5.1 output, so no worries, but You won't need it if You plan to use headphones. And DDL, DTSC used to pass via digital out forward (not decode DD/DTS), so again with headphones You won't be using it.

HD598 is nice in SQ but google "sennheiser crack" their design is not flawless and has a weak point. 

For games i like my Beyerdynamic DT990, maybe for music something like AKG Q701 (they could lack of bass for games though, check MadLust thread) would sound better with music i believe, because DT990 sometimes have very sharp heights.

My experience with ZxR is fine, listen to music and do games with SBX surround, like it more than CMSS-3D from creative ,though never tried DolbyHeadphone so can't compare.

UPDATE: DDL meant to convert any 5.1 surround, from games as example and convert it live to AC3 then pass it to external receiver. So again, if no external speakers with decoder or receiver is used no use in it. And then You do not even need expansion card to be connected (it adds I/O and opens some advanced features in SBX soft, i found it useless if only headphones is in use), only the main one.

UPDATE2: Missed the Edifier part, it only has "5.1 channel and 2 stereo input options for versatile connections" digital input is not mentioned anywhere on page. So You will have "plain" 5.1 from ZxR outputs not encoded.
Also Keep in mind that it is better to connect headphones directly to ZxR than to Edifier. And then switch ZxR between headphones/speaker mode.

UPDATE3: As addition about DTSC and DDL to update part, basically you can't call them decoders, they are encoders, DTL support doesn't mean card can decode DolbyDigital so don't be mistaken in any way. To decode DolbyDigital or True HD as example You still need a decoder, hardware one or software, TotalMedia Theater or Power DVD have DD/DDS software decoders. And encoder creates DD stream and can send it via digital outputs further to decoder.

Sigh.

When will people stop with this mis-information? The cracking issue has been long, long, long fixed. Those cracking issues only happened for the first 2 batch models and has been fixed since late 2010/early 2011.
There are no more cracking issues on the HD598 (and HD558 since we're on this topic).

Feb 20, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #1,986 of 3,462

Sigh.

When will people stop with this mis-information? The cracking issue has been long, long, long fixed. Those cracking issues only happened for the first 2 batch models and has been fixed since late 2010/early 2011.
There are no more cracking issues on the HD598 (and HD558 since we're on this topic).

Nice to hear, but about 6 month ago i asked seller about Senns as i wanted to get them and he said to google the crack problem, i did a quick search and there was posts from 12-13 year, so it seemed like people had problems until then.

Anyway, good if it is fixed.

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #1,987 of 3,462
Heh, my HD595's have that issue. There's large chunk missing but so far that has been visual issue.

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #1,988 of 3,462
do gaming sound cards games improve directional and distance audio in games? In FPS games, i can tell which direction the sound came from but i have no idea how far away it is. The game i'm referring to is BF 3. 

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #1,989 of 3,462
Decent sound is dead in games for a while (same BF3, You on the 1 floor, someone at the 2 as is still seems that his steps is near You, not above).. Basically if You use 5.1 speaker set-up as example it doesn't really matter what sound card you will use (if we are not taking into account SQ questions), game knows from windows that it should give 5.1 sound and gives that sound depending on what game sound engine capable of. And all games for about 5 years or something use no more hardware acceleration, no more effects like EAX and so on.

If You use headphones for games than Creative gives you SBX surround, ASUS dolby headphone, this takes sound that games outputs and dowmixes it to stereo, giving  You virtual surround when in headphones, and now the feel of surround depends on both game engine and headphone surround technology. 

So if we don't take sound quality into account, not a big advantage if You don't use headphones. 

Feb 21, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #1,990 of 3,462
  The card does DDL if the speakers do not have digital connections that is not down to the card.

DTS connect should be same end result as DTS as it converts any audio into 5.1 so I assume if its 5.1 to start with it be fine but it will upmix stereo to 5.1.

I have never had digital speaker's so not tried. but you will be fine with analogue cables.

Those speaker have been out a long time and cost a lot still today, not everywhere you can buy them.

The bummer is the high end 2.1 set was upgraded to a digital set and they said it was to happen to the 5.1 set but never did.

These are a new revision of the original S550 speakers, named S550 Encore (http://www.edifier-international.com/products/edifier-multimedia/s550-encore). Too bad Edifier chose not to include a digital circuit in the set. 

Quote:
  Hi,

ZxR support DDL and DTS connect (http://www.soundblaster.com/products/sound-blaster-zx.aspx#specs) other than this will need software decoding by your movie player. Also check specs for output, it has Front/Back/Center 5.1 output, so no worries, but You won't need it if You plan to use headphones. And DDL, DTSC used to pass via digital out forward (not decode DD/DTS), so again with headphones You won't be using it.

HD598 is nice in SQ but google "sennheiser crack" their design is not flawless and has a weak point. 

For games i like my Beyerdynamic DT990, maybe for music something like AKG Q701 (they could lack of bass for games though, check MadLust thread) would sound better with music i believe, because DT990 sometimes have very sharp heights.

My experience with ZxR is fine, listen to music and do games with SBX surround, like it more than CMSS-3D from creative ,though never tried DolbyHeadphone so can't compare.

UPDATE: DDL meant to convert any 5.1 surround, from games as example and convert it live to AC3 then pass it to external receiver. So again, if no external speakers with decoder or receiver is used no use in it. And then You do not even need expansion card to be connected (it adds I/O and opens some advanced features in SBX soft, i found it useless if only headphones is in use), only the main one.

UPDATE2: Missed the Edifier part, it only has "5.1 channel and 2 stereo input options for versatile connections" digital input is not mentioned anywhere on page. So You will have "plain" 5.1 from ZxR outputs not encoded.
Also Keep in mind that it is better to connect headphones directly to ZxR than to Edifier. And then switch ZxR between headphones/speaker mode.

UPDATE3: As addition about DTSC and DDL to update part, basically you can't call them decoders, they are encoders, DTL support doesn't mean card can decode DolbyDigital so don't be mistaken in any way. To decode DolbyDigital or True HD as example You still need a decoder, hardware one or software, TotalMedia Theater or Power DVD have DD/DDS software decoders. And encoder creates DD stream and can send it via digital outputs further to decoder.

Thanks for your answer. Most of the entries on Google about the cracking problem of some Sennheiser headphone models refer back to 2010/2011. I don't know if they got rid of this issue completely though, but I am very careful with my material.

Regarding the DDL and DTS-Connect on ZxR part, suppose I have a 1080p Blu-Ray rip in mkv format with the audio track encoded in Dolby Digital 5.1. If the ZxR can't do the decoding and as the Encore S550s only have analog inputs, then what kind of 5.1 surround sound will I get? Only the one emulated by the card? Are the original surround sound effects lost in the process?

I don't know if I'm misunderstanding things though. I can always download a player that does the decoding thing too, right? Is this an effective solution?
Because of this I'm seriously considering buying an AVR and a pair of passive speakers instead of the Encore S550s.

For games on PC, there doesn't seem to be a problem, because, as far as I know, the sound on most games comes pre-separated in the various channels.

I also wanna hook up the speakers to my PS3 through the optical-in port in the ZxR daughter board, but then again, I won't be able to retain the "real" 5.1 surround sound of games too.     

Quote:

Sigh.

Good to hear that. I will buy the HD598. 

Feb 22, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #1,991 of 3,462
  Regarding the DDL and DTS-Connect on ZxR part, suppose I have a 1080p Blu-Ray rip in mkv format with the audio track encoded in Dolby Digital 5.1. If the ZxR can't do the decoding and as the Encore S550s only have analog inputs, then what kind of 5.1 surround sound will I get? Only the one emulated by the card? Are the original surround sound effects lost in the process?

I don't know if I'm misunderstanding things though. I can always download a player that does the decoding thing too, right? Is this an effective solution?

Hi, it is not a problem, player will do the decoding, You will need to turn off all effects on ZxR and then set player to output 5.1 to speakers, this should keep all effects in their place.

Missed the idea of connecting PS3 to the daughterboard? You want to pass signal from PS3 to Encore through ZxR? Don't PS3 have some analog output? If it don't then it should be possible, though i never tried something like this, You should be able to use ZxR optical In, set "Listen To your device" in it's setup to ZxR speakers and hear Your PS3. I'am just not sure what sound format PS3 outputs, LPCM or Dolby, etc. So i'am just guessing. 

But You can also consider buying AVR +2 speakers, and then get 3.1 after some time, after lot of years watching movies PC>TV i came up buying standalone player that can play from network, much more convenient.  Now it is like Player>AVR>TV, and headphones for gaming/music. 

Feb 22, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #1,992 of 3,462
Ok, good, no problem in movies then.

As to the PS3 issue, you can't get 5.1 analog out of the console, so my idea was to pass the signal through the optical-In port on the ZxR daughterboard. I think PS3 can output Dolby Digital Live or DTS 5.1 and 2.0 PCM. As the ZxR doesn't support real-time decoding, then I think I can only pass the signal in 2.0 PCM, losing the real 5.1. I wonder if I can emulate surround sound through the card, I think so, but it shouldn't be the same thing. One disadvantage though is that my computer will have to be on all the time, for me to hear sound from the console through the Encore S550s.

I'm also considering buying an AVR (maybe a Pioneer, what you have in your sig or the 923) and a set of two front speakers for now, but then I think I'll be missing the high-quality DACs in the ZxR. I'm really in a dilemma here. Do I really need a 5.1 speaker setup for games (that will be the main task of my future PC)? 

Feb 23, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #1,993 of 3,462
Yeah, the problem is You wan't to mix many things :) So You should decide what is the main thing You need from set-up. What could be acceptable as it seems to me:

1. Get the AVR + 2 speakers, and again why would You need 7.2 receiver if You plan go 2 speakers? Something like 5.1 RX-V475 (just an example not recommendation) if You don't plan to go 7.2 in near future. Then You can connect both PC both PS3 to it, of course without 5.1 speakers it won't give You true surround so You need to live with 2.0 until You get additional speakers.
2. If the main activity on PC is games i don't think You rally need ZxR, of course it has better hardware, maybe sound better with music, but only for games it could be overkill.. You can get Z/Zx they have same features in gaming, and even optical in for PS3 (here i believe it wont' work if PS3 outputs DD or DTS, PCM should be accepted but do You need such complicated set-up?).

It would be easier if You would use headphones for gaming, then recommendation would be something like Astro Mixamp for PS3 and Z/Zx for PC.

For movies of course AVR+5.1 is the best solution, all that PC speaker sets is not as good as they could seem to be :)

Feb 23, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #1,994 of 3,462
Thank you for your insight. You've made things much clearer for me. :) I'm still getting a Xonar Essence STX or a ZxR though, because I'll use headphones for music too.

I heard that ZxR has an output impedance on the headphone jack of the order of 40 ohm, whereas STX has only a 10 ohm output impedance. Is this true? Can this potentially negatively affect SQ on low impedance cans like the HD598s? Will it cause sound distortion?

Feb 24, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #1,995 of 3,462
Hi,

From product spec:
ZxR - "600 Ohm Amplified Headphone Output:80mw TI TPA6120"
ASUS - "Built-in headphone amp drives every available headphone with <0.001% distortion"

ASUS not so specific but i think by saying "every available" they mean to say up to 600 Ohm. Lower impedance headphones are "easier to drive", sennheser have explanation here http://shop.sennheiserindia.com/blog/impedance-in-headphones/. This should not give You any SQ problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back