Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Apr 8, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #436 of 3,462
I lost count how many days I've waited for my card to get shipped, probably around 3 weeks. waaaaaaahh T_T

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #437 of 3,462
Quote:
What a nice package....directly from Japan....best seller ever!

Congrats on your ZxR my friend! hehe!
Don't forget to share your impressions :)

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #438 of 3,462
Quote:

Congrats on your ZxR my friend! hehe!
Don't forget to share your impressions :)

Got to find time to install it tonight.....Thanks...
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #439 of 3,462
What is the best configuration to connect the ZXR to my ASUS xonar one?

ZXR->Asus (using Toslink, can I connect it using COA and is it better? edit: No there is no COA in the ZXR)

Jriver18 =Wasapi-event style->spdif->source bit & # channels .

Do you think there are better options?

P.S : kept the ACM in the box...

Apr 8, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #440 of 3,462
RIP my XFI Platinum, you have been wonderful.
but you will live in my 3Dfx voodoo P4 pc

A side note.

I just thru my working Recon sound card in the trash...I do not know why I got it in the first place.
Worst sound card ever...

The ZXR blew both, the clarity and cleanness of the sound is like nothing...the bass is much more prominent but controlled.

Apr 8, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #441 of 3,462
I can't wait to get the hold of my card, I think this will finally be "THE" soundcard for me (I need a soundcard for various reasons).

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #442 of 3,462
Is this a limitation from the ZXR or Asus Xonar one?

My settings:

Apr 8, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #443 of 3,462
Quote:
Is this a limitation from the ZXR or Asus Xonar one?

My settings:

It is because the digital output of the soundcard "only" supports a sample rate up to 96khz. Thats normal, my X-Fi works the same way.
What I want to try to do, as soon as I get my ZxR, I will connect the ZxR through toslink to my E1 and then back to the RCA-IN into the card using the RCA-OUT from the E1 and connect the headphones to the ZXR directly. Just for a test. I really want to know if there is any noticable delay and noise using this method.

Because, actually your card is doing nothing when using SPDIF through the digital out. All the processing is done by the E1. But you'll get the advantage of the cards DSP (effects,EQ and so on).
Thats also how I got my setup right now.

Apr 9, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #444 of 3,462
Quote:
It is because the digital output of the soundcard "only" supports a sample rate up to 96khz. Thats normal, my X-Fi works the same way.
What I want to try to do, as soon as I get my ZxR, I will connect the ZxR through toslink to my E1 and then back to the RCA-IN into the card using the RCA-OUT from the E1 and connect the headphones to the ZXR directly. Just for a test. I really want to know if there is any noticable delay and noise using this method.

Because, actually your card is doing nothing when using SPDIF through the digital out. All the processing is done by the E1. But you'll get the advantage of the cards DSP (effects,EQ and so on).

OK, now I see, thank you.
I will also test your "method"" today (just for curiosity sake).

Apr 9, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #445 of 3,462
I still don't really get why one would get a (really expensive) card only for its DSP effects? 

I might have missed this earlier but has anyone played around with opamps already? Some of the new features sound interesting and nice but I wouldn't want to risk getting "worse" hardware than what I have now (Titanium HD with discrete opamps).

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #446 of 3,462
Quote:
RIP my XFI Platinum, you have been wonderful.
but you will live in my 3Dfx voodoo P4 pc

You imported that ZxR from Japan? Didn't think people would go to such lengths here...though if I had to import a sound card from Japan and cost wasn't an issue, I'd consider it for the Onkyo SE-300PCIE.

X-Fi hardware seems like overkill for a 3dfx-based build, though. The OS I'd generally run for a 3dfx-based system is Windows 98 SE, and I'd most likely run some kind of Aureal Vortex2 card in that case. Also, Win9x drivers don't exist for the X-Fi line, to my knowledge.

If running XP, then Win9x-era games start having issues, and most titles had moved away from Glide on to Direct3D and OpenGL by that point, in no small part because 3dfx had already been bought out by NVIDIA then.

Quote:

To phrase it more clearly, when using S/PDIF, the sound card's DAC is being bypassed, and the external DAC that you've connected it to does the digital-to-analog dirty work...but the source signal has still been pre-processed by any DSP effects enabled by the sound card itself.

Apr 9, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #447 of 3,462
Quote:

You imported that ZxR from Japan? Didn't think people would go to such lengths here...though if I had to import a sound card from Japan and cost wasn't an issue, I'd consider it for the Onkyo SE-300PCIE.

X-Fi hardware seems like overkill for a 3dfx-based build, though. The OS I'd generally run for a 3dfx-based system is Windows 98 SE, and I'd most likely run some kind of Aureal Vortex2 card in that case. Also, Win9x drivers don't exist for the X-Fi line, to my knowledge.

If running XP, then Win9x-era games start having issues, and most titles had moved away from Glide on to Direct3D and OpenGL by that point, in no small part because 3dfx had already been bought out by NVIDIA then.

To phrase it more clearly, when using S/PDIF, the sound card's DAC is being bypassed, and the external DAC that you've connected it to does the digital-to-analog dirty work...but the source signal has still been pre-processed by any DSP effects enabled by the sound card itself.

Thank you for the reply...
beerchug.gif
Why do you think the Onkyo 300PCIE is a better option than the ZXR? I have been doing some research and did no like what I read about it (drivers)!

I know RPGWiZaRD have been eyeing the Onkyo for some time also, why did you prefer the ZXR over it?

I am still hoping that I might get it working on windows 98se (I was able to run it as SB16 on Virtual W98se, by downloading a driver sbw9xup.exe)...

The Onkyo is a nice card but believe me when Is say buying my stuff from Japan or US (including the shipping charges) will still be cheaper than buying from here (and that if they ever get it!), and I could not wait a single day living with the Recon....
frown.gif

Please keep your posts coming.

Edit : I might get the Onkyo (same seller got it also)...for my Brother's coming birthday, and sure will ask him to test it for him...
very_evil_smiley.gif
...ZXR VS Onkyo

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #448 of 3,462
I just got my ZXR in the mail, I can confirm what some others have said here.  I'm sorry I can't give a good description in audiophile terms but, the sound quality is definitely degraded by the little module.  The music was lacking any liveliness when i plugged into the ACM, but from the back of the sound card it's quite vibrant(I'm listening on HFI 780s, to various types of black, death, power and doom metal)

Apr 9, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #449 of 3,462
Quote:
I just got my ZXR in the mail, I can confirm what some others have said here.  I'm sorry I can't give a good description in audiophile terms but, the sound quality is definitely degraded by the little module.  The music was lacking any liveliness when i plugged into the ACM, but from the back of the sound card it's quite vibrant(I'm listening on HFI 780s, to various types of black, death, power and doom metal)

I confirm that the ACM do degrade the sound (muddy & less airy...) that is why I returned it back to the box.

I am wondering why this is happening?

Wish Creative would clarify this!

Any theories guys?

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #450 of 3,462
I dunno I kinda think the ACM degradation is being heavily exaggerated...I kinda thought it made a difference myself but that coulda been me thinking it should make a difference and then me hearing a difference because of that mindset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back