Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Nov 25, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #2,551 of 3,462
Think of it this way... CD is 16bit/44kHz. And very good. Diminishing returns range good. A higher bit rate is more important than the refresh. With the Omni you already have superior audio capabilities than you get on CD or DVD movies (unless you're talking about the flopped SACD or DVD-Audio formats), I'm telling you I had both side by side and I was hard -pressed to hear a difference between them. Really I'm confident that the major differences are price, that stereo optical input, and where you plug them in. If you'd rather have the Z, get that, but don't bother paying for rush shipment because you've already been patient about choosing one so far
smily_headphones1.gif

I got amazon prime, so 2 day shipping is free :)

Nov 26, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #2,552 of 3,462
I think you are confusing yourself with your question to the rep and also his answer.

To clear this off, new email confirms again:
Thank you for contacting Creative.

Regarding your email, we inform you that the product is the same, only changed the name.

Sound Blaster with previous THX TruStudio Pro logo/software have been rebranded to SBX Pro Studio.

The physical hardware remains the same; software and packaging have been updated to reflect this brand change.

I hope it helped and has clarified about your confusion.

You may excuse that he is misinformed too, but evidence is in the Recon3D rev.1 and rev.2 cards.
If you want really test if there's actual difference between SBX and THX, then to do it with the Recon3D rev.1 /THX and Recon3D rev.2 /SBX cards.
Both versions shared the same Firmware and Software updates, when v2 is detected by same softwareinstall, it will install the v2 SBX controlpanel instead of the THX.

Nov 26, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #2,553 of 3,462
Sigh.

THX is not SBX, end of story. If you're going to ask a PR from Creative, it's as good as asking a store janitor.

Run the numbers if numbers exites you.

But here I have a Recon3D USB and a SB ZxR, running on 2 computers. With the same game, with the same settings, there is CLEARLY a difference between THX and SBX. Don't try and argue with this, there is a difference between them. Don't argue, period.

Nov 26, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #2,554 of 3,462
They are different indeed. THX from TiHD vs SBX (ZxR) was quite a difference to me. Especially the hallway effect of thx Imaging/staging.

Nov 26, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #2,555 of 3,462
The Ti HD and ZxR are mostly comparable hardware quality too... but regardless the sound is pretty close and IMO both are the best virtual surround for general headshapes that we can get on a general consumer level. I kinda wish the Recon3D had an optical output so I could compare it and the Omni using an external DAC and amp system, but if the Recon3D USB HAD a processed, stereo, virtual surround optical out I wouldn't have bothered getting an omni.

They sound so close it's a waste of time to compare them vs enjoying them.

Nov 27, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #2,556 of 3,462
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00EZT7RE4/ref=olp_tab_used?ie=UTF8&colid=1JRJCPI8NZD0Y&coliid=I2QTS53LLA8CT1&condition=used

sometimes I feel like I want to jump on this but for some reason.....my gut tells me to wait until tomorrow or friday for the sound blaster z.......

Hmmm.....

Decisions

Nov 27, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #2,558 of 3,462
I mean, SoundBlaster already made their Black Friday deals online. If you want to save $10 buying used, possibly missing the remote or whatever, more power to you.

their deals are effective tomorrow. And that link shows its open box but new. It also says it comes with everything. If it doesnt I can always return it but than again....

Nov 27, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #2,559 of 3,462
Nevermind

SOUND BLASTER Z AND SOUND BLASTER OMNI ARE NOW IN BLACK FRIDAY MODE

SOUND BLASTER Z IS $65

AND

SOUND BLASTER OMNI IS $50

not including tax since people live in different states.

This is currently how Creative website has the listed.

I personally will just order from amazon.com and if they lower the price from here till cyber monday, you can always get a price match within a week.

Sound Blaster Z
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009ISU33E/

Sound Blaster Omni
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EZT7RE4/

Nov 27, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #2,560 of 3,462
  Nevermind

SOUND BLASTER Z AND SOUND BLASTER OMNI ARE NOW IN BLACK FRIDAY MODE

SOUND BLASTER Z IS $65

AND

SOUND BLASTER OMNI IS $50

not including tax since people live in different states.

This is currently how Creative website has the listed.

I personally will just order from amazon.com and if they lower the price from here till cyber monday, you can always get a price match within a week.

Sound Blaster Z
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009ISU33E/

Sound Blaster Omni
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EZT7RE4/

I'm also considering the Sound Blaster Omni, I just want to find the type/version of the DAC that it has on board.  

Nov 28, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #2,563 of 3,462
Ok thanks. It looks like they perform quite differently though, from SNR ratios to ohms these can drive to headphones.

I'm also considering the Asus Xonar U7. Looking to drive a simple powered 2.0 speaker setup and casual headphone usage.

I just want something that will make my speakers perform better without breaking the bank.

Nov 30, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #2,564 of 3,462
So i just got and installed my Sound Blaster Z and it sounds really good but I forgot to research something....

Its only 5.1 compared to my recon3d which is 7.1..??

I thought the recon3d was to be the lesser quality product compared to the sound blaster Z?

Im surprised that the Z isnt 7.1.

Either way, the sound quality is higher than the Recon3d for sure and I think I can notice the difference between 7.1 and 5.1.

I want to say that the 7.1 does have a stage different thatn the 5.1....its hard to explain but whenever a helicopter goes above me, it sound more natural than on 5.1...

Im still new to explaining things in what surround sound is but thats what it sounds like in 5.1. especially how the speakers are set up in 5.1 are differnt in 7.1......

I usually play BF4 so yeah...

What settings should i be using on SBX control panel?

I love the sound quality but the 7.1 missing, has me a bit sad :frowning2: lol. I guess thats a tradeoff for better sound quality?

Nov 30, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #2,565 of 3,462
  So i just got and installed my Sound Blaster Z and it sounds really good but I forgot to research something....

Its only 5.1 compared to my recon3d which is 7.1..??

I thought the recon3d was to be the lesser quality product compared to the sound blaster Z?

Im surprised that the Z isnt 7.1.

Either way, the sound quality is higher than the Recon3d for sure and I think I can notice the difference between 7.1 and 5.1.

I want to say that the 7.1 does have a stage different thatn the 5.1....its hard to explain but whenever a helicopter goes above me, it sound more natural than on 5.1...

Im still new to explaining things in what surround sound is but thats what it sounds like in 5.1. especially how the speakers are set up in 5.1 are differnt in 7.1......

I usually play BF4 so yeah...

What settings should i be using on SBX control panel?

I love the sound quality but the 7.1 missing, has me a bit sad :frowning2: lol. I guess thats a tradeoff for better sound quality?

Have you tried the Asus Xonar U7 ? 

Or are you set on internal sound cards as opposed to USB? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back