Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Jul 30, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #2,284 of 3,462
I bought this card about a month ago, and I'm pretty satisfied with it. Great set of features and great SQ.

I have one issue though: it (Windows) reverts back to 5.1 (from Stereo) after each boot, so I have to manually change it every time I start my PC.

I'm using headphones with the dedicated headphone output.

It's annoying and it baffles me that this is still an issue with Creative. I had similar issues with X-Fi, where no settings would stick at all.

Are there any known solutions or workarounds?

Thanks!

Jul 30, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #2,286 of 3,462
You could do make one your self if your handly with tool's, maybe you might find them on ebay. But I betting you might have to make one. Unless you can talk creative into sending you one.

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #2,287 of 3,462
Hello Guys. I'am having a hard time deciding which one I shall buy. It is between ZxR and Z. Money is not the problem.
I plan on buying high end headphones in a near future. Atm I got Sennheisser PC 360.
Is there a big difference between these two?
If I buy the zxr will I need to get 6.3mm cables to get the best possibly sound? Can I use 5.1 speakers with the zxr? Or only 7.1? Will the sound quality be worse If I plug the headset/headphones directly into the volume hub on the ZxR. Thanks. I hope someone can answer my questions:') //written on a phone.
And ofc... Is ZxR worth the extra $$? :)

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #2,288 of 3,462
the ZXR has connections for both .5.1 speakers and headphone's so you can plug in both at the same time.

Jul 31, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #2,289 of 3,462
Hello

I've just bought ZxR(few days ago) and i'm using sennheissers PC360 for now. I don't know how much different they are from HD360 Swordchan, but i've tried them with hub and without - coudn't tell the difference, maybe on better cans there is more apparent effect...

I've upgraded from onboard soundcard and can definitively say that sound quality have improved it's livelier, more rich it's really nice.

I was slightly dissapointed with the two mics in the hub i read opinions that they work as intended and pick up sounds from the space before them... well... friends on voice comm heard dinner getting ready from kitchen two rooms away from mine so it didn't work quite good :D I've played with the settings but to no avail. Also they complained about my voice getting slightly cut out and sounding different(and just plain bad) every time i spoke :).  The only feature that worked (and really goood too) was noise cancellation. PC360 is a headset and the mic on it is VASTLY VASTLY better, i woudn't change it but the better cans i ordered don't have mic in a set so i was hoping for the solution provided by creative.

And thus I have two questions:
- Can anyone recommend good clip-on mic or desk one (for communication from room with other sound sources than my voice :wink: )?
- The headphones I ordered are 300Ohm HD800 and I know the first setting in soft is for 32 - 300 Ohm and the second is for up to 600Ohm cans, so I should use first one, but it's just on the egde of threshold, my question is - Is safe to check 600 Ohm settings with them just to see if it's worse/better  or would I risk frying them or sth?(my soul would shatter) Yeah i'm noob at this :D Please if anyone could help with my concerns... :)

Jul 31, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #2,290 of 3,462
The Z has a 600ohm amp with no lower ohm option, and lots of people use that with low ohm headphones with no frying issues. I have 38ohm headphones on a ZXR and I've tried both ohm settings with no probs. The 600 setting is louder, so turn your win volume down before you try it. Your headphones will be fine.

Aug 1, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #2,292 of 3,462
  If I wanted to get a replacement EMI shield for my ZxR, where should I look? Is it okay to run the Z series naked?

It is completely fine to run these cards "naked", look at how many sound cards before them (even high end (ie Auzentech)) had no plates on them.  Hell they even make back plates for these cards (or the ZXR at least) like a GPU has, lol.  It's all marketing with very little engineering even involved, sure it is possible the plate may protect the card from a little bit of interference, but if they REALLY wanted to do it right, there wouldn't be a hole in the damn thing to show us the Core3D chip (not like we can see it anyway once installed...)

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #2,293 of 3,462

It is completely fine to run these cards "naked", look at how many sound cards before them (even high end (ie Auzentech)) had no plates on them.  Hell they even make back plates for these cards (or the ZXR at least) like a GPU has, lol.  It's all marketing with very little engineering even involved, sure it is possible the plate may protect the card from a little bit of interference, but if they REALLY wanted to do it right, there wouldn't be a hole in the damn thing to show us the Core3D chip (not like we can see it anyway once installed...)

Haha, true enough on the last point. My PSU is encased and grounded so I think I'll be fine there, and the motherboard and all else. I have my second 780 out for RMA, when it gets back I'll see if it makes any difference with or without EMI shield and if the USB cables nearby will cause any issue. You're most likely right, the reviews say it is useful and I'd rather it had the shield on in case I have to handle it for whatever reason. Maybe I will try to make my own, I'm not nearly as handy with metal as I am with wood.

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #2,294 of 3,462
Can someone suggest about SBX compare to DHTv4 ?  I have Xonar phoebus and I want a good surround , the SBX in FPS games sounds good as I heard from the youtube comparison.

Please if someone could answer about this question. and is the ZXR really bad with all other surround CMSS3D and such ?

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #2,295 of 3,462
The ZXR can't do CMSS3D, it was replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back