Creative G6 - Low Gain setted but too high volume !!!
Dec 27, 2019 at 5:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

paulguru

500+ Head-Fier
Hi

I recently bought a Creative Sound BlasterX G6 usb sound card and the Audio Technica MSR7 ( old model, not B model ) and also if the sound card is setted in "low gain amp" mode by side button the volume of the headphone is too High. From Windows OS i must to keep volume around 4-6%, so became hard to set the right volume switching between songs or movies because the gap between each steps is large ( for example from 4% to 5% there is the +25%, while i looking for a light volume adjustment )

Headphone spec said 35ohm, and Creative spec said that the low gain mode is for since 16ohm products.

This is normal ?

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #3 of 11
I suspect that the secret solution lies with the giant volume knob at the front of the G6. :wink:

Jan 6, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 11
Hi

I recently bought a Creative Sound BlasterX G6 usb sound card and the Audio Technica MSR7 ( old model, not B model ) and also if the sound card is setted in "low gain amp" mode by side button the volume of the headphone is too High. From Windows OS i must to keep volume around 4-6%, so became hard to set the right volume switching between songs or movies because the gap between each steps is large ( for example from 4% to 5% there is the +25%, while i looking for a light volume adjustment )
Headphone spec said 35-Ohm, and Creative spec said that the low gain mode is for since 16-Ohm products.
This is normal ?
The low gain setting will work with 16-Ohm or higher (32-Ohm or 50-Ohm or 100-Ohm, etc) Ohm headphones.

Jan 6, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #7 of 11
Hi
The front volume knob is simply an USB controller.
moving the know simply change the Windows OS volume, same as keybord knob, its not analogic knob.
I've seen a review saying that the volume setting is digital, but I also saw it used with an analog input and the volume knob was working fine. So even if it remains digital(which is perfectly possible), there seems to be a way to have the volume adjusted internally and not just acting on a source. It would be really dumb to have more freedom with an analog input than with a usb input. But then again I've never tried that device or the previous versions, so maybe I told you something stupid. It wouldn't be my first time.
Try various settings, maybe test an audio player with asio or wasapi(if the drivers aren't asio), and if that changes the way the volume is handled, then you can always look for some virtual cable on the PC to route all signals through the virtual cable and out with a "bit perfect" stream that hopefully let the device fully handle the volume instead of windowzzz.

Jan 9, 2020 at 4:22 AM Post #8 of 11
I've seen a review saying that the volume setting is digital, but I also saw it used with an analog input and the volume knob was working fine. So even if it remains digital(which is perfectly possible), there seems to be a way to have the volume adjusted internally and not just acting on a source. It would be really dumb to have more freedom with an analog input than with a usb input. But then again I've never tried that device or the previous versions, so maybe I told you something stupid. It wouldn't be my first time.
Try various settings, maybe test an audio player with asio or wasapi(if the drivers aren't asio), and if that changes the way the volume is handled, then you can always look for some virtual cable on the PC to route all signals through the virtual cable and out with a "bit perfect" stream that hopefully let the device fully handle the volume instead of windowzzz.
i think the analogic mode is only for optical connection

Jan 18, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #9 of 11
Ok i found a strange mystery about this case.

If i connect the G6 in my primary PC in USB 3.0 port i must to keep a very low volume setting in Windows 10 OS. ( around 4-6% )
I tryed to connect in my notebook with USB 2.0 and Windows 7 and i have the same volume level but with much highter setting in OS. ( 40-45%)

The volume of the OS system sound is to default setting in both PC anche the volume level of the player is exactly the same.
The amp is obviously setted always in low gain mode.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #11 of 11
Ok i found a strange mystery about this case.
If i connect the G6 in my primary PC in USB 3.0 port i must to keep a very low volume setting in Windows 10 OS. ( around 4-6% )
I tried to connect in my notebook with USB 2.0 and Windows 7 and i have the same volume level but with much higher setting in OS. ( 40-45%)
The volume of the OS system sound is to default setting in both PC anche the volume level of the player is exactly the same.
The amp is obviously setted always in low gain mode.
My two cents and guess.
I believe USB 3.0 is designed to provide more power, then USB 2.0.
If the USB 3.0 port send more power (voltage) to the USB input, then USB 2.0, feeding to the Creative Labs G6.
Somehow the Creative Labs G6 interprets (or receives) it as a louder signal, then what is receives from USB 2.0 port.
Have you tried connecting the G6 to a USB 2.0 port, on the PC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back