Creative EP-630 or Sennheiser CX300? BOTH SAME PRICE!
Apr 2, 2010 at 8:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

deanmc

New Head-Fier
Creative EP-630 or Sennheiser CX300? BOTH SAME PRICE!

I'm planning on getting one of these earphones, but after reading many reviews, I have come to the conclusion that they are almost equal, when it comes to sound quality.

But the Sennheiser is said to be a bit expensive than the creative one. But I found both to be of the same price, on AMAZON.com.

Can anyone here tell me whether the dealers seem reliable or not? I'm totally new to buying stuff on the internet. I live in Sri Lanka and you cannot find these in local stores.

Here are the links to both of them.

1. Creative EP-630 - Amazon.com: Creative EP-630 In Ear Noise Isolating Headphones (Black): Electronics

2. Sennheiser CX300 - Amazon.com: Sennheiser CX300-B Earbuds (Black): Electronics

There are a lot of deals for these 2 earphones, with a bigger price tag (about $39) and even lower. So how can the Senn cx300 be sold at about $20 when there are price tags of $30, $40 and even $72???? The seller I mentioned above gives it for $20, and amazon says I save $28.50 since the list price is about $49. Also there are no negative feedback for that seller and I read some comments and they seem positive.

NEED Advice.

Apr 2, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #2 of 15
Because the CX300 would still be overpriced at $15. It's an outdated model and is extremely uncompetitive by today's standards. I cannot speak for the EP-630 but I believe ClieOS ranked them as one of the poorest IEMs he has tried.

The value of a product should be judged by how well it performs against the competition at the asking price, not by how much of a 'discount' you are getting over an arbitrary price point set by the manufacturer. Just look at the JLabs J3 - the MSRP is a ridiculous $79.95. Yet they have never been sold for a penny over $30 since the day they were released. There are many other products sold at ridiculous markdowns. The Audio-Technica CK6 IEMs can often be found for ~$20, yet the suggested retail price is $99.99.

If you're really serious about audio, figure out how much you are willing to pay and then look around for the best bang/buck earphones in that price range. If you're set on picking between those two, I would suggest flipping a coin.

Apr 2, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #3 of 15
To the OP, welcome to Head-fi and sorry about your wallet!
biggrin.gif

Do try to search the forum first, we have plenty of 'great budget IEM' threads for you to read for a whole week.

Apr 2, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #5 of 15
well the ep630 and cx300 are practically the same thing, so close you probably cant tell the difference and for that money both are fine so long as you want a big boatload of bass. for many thats just what they want and its great fun. however they wouldnt be my first choice

david432111 makes some very reasonable suggestions

Apr 2, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #6 of 15
I would strongly consider the Meelectronics M9 instead. I do own both of the IEMs you are considering and I prefer the Creative because of the symmetrical cord as opposed to the "J" cord on the Senn.

Apr 2, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #7 of 15
I had the Creatives and they broke right after the warranty expired. My friend had his break within a few months.

Apr 2, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #8 of 15
My Ep-630's lasted a couple of years - I tried to mod them, and broke them in the process.
I still have the 830 chinese oem - same sound except a pinch less bass.

I'd recommend saving up for a SoundMagic PL30 instead. Much more worth it.

Apr 3, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #9 of 15
Thanks for all the replies. I read the thread from |Joker| and after reading a lot of reviews and opinions, I think I'll go for a Soundmagic PL30.

It seems its only available in focalprice.com and amazon.com.

Any where else I should check?

Apr 3, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #11 of 15
focalprice.com is where I got mine but you would need some patience. It took mine around 2 weeks to arrive which isn't too bad. There are other places like ebay, head-direct.com, etc but you would have to pay a premium on them if you buy it from the USA.

Apr 3, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
focalprice.com is where I got mine but you would need some patience. It took mine around 2 weeks to arrive which isn't too bad. There are other places like ebay, head-direct.com, etc but you would have to pay a premium on them if you buy it from the USA.

All the "big-brand" headphones on focalprice are fake. Luckily most cx300 fakes sound as good or better than the originals.

Apr 3, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #13 of 15
Focalprice is probably cheapest. Plus they run coupon codes on Soundmagic products once in a while so have a look around their site & on google.

There's also mp4nation.net though in my experience focalprice is a bit quicker on average.

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #14 of 15
Is it possible that sennheiser is making these for creAtive? Sniffing around I noticed this thread and had to stick my 2 cents in. Yes they are bass heavy. But for some situations that is what you need. I ride off road with a fairly loud pipe and I have not found any IEM that can touch these for 2 reasons. 1 you can get great isolation and really dig your tunes with throttle on, and 2, the biggest, you can get your helmet off and on without ripping your ears apart. Repeated runs through the washing machine included!! Lol

Jun 10, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:
Is it possible that sennheiser is making these for creAtive? Sniffing around I noticed this thread and had to stick my 2 cents in. Yes they are bass heavy. But for some situations that is what you need. I ride off road with a fairly loud pipe and I have not found any IEM that can touch these for 2 reasons. 1 you can get great isolation and really dig your tunes with throttle on, and 2, the biggest, you can get your helmet off and on without ripping your ears apart. Repeated runs through the washing machine included!! Lol

I have also similar experience with Creative EP-630i. I have been using it over three years and it is extremely durable. It survived getting machine washed and still functioning. On the other hand after 3 years of use sound quality is really poor and bass is almost gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back