Creative EP-630 burn in.
Apr 6, 2008 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ring_wraith

Head-Fier
I own a pair of EP-630s and had a few questions about burn-in.

1) Has anyone tried burning/breaking these in? Does it make a difference? Because the highs are really harsh and it is really muddy and I would love to reduce those problems.

2) I'm going to be using my PC as the source and am using a sine wave [20-20000Hz] sweep as the burn in. The thing is that the sine wave sweep goes from really soft at the starting to really loud in the middle where I'm assuming the High-freq steps in. So what should I use as a reference point for the volume?

Any help is appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #2 of 15
1) it does improve noticeably in my experience, mainly with the bass. but don't expect any miracles

2) don't have the volume go far above normal listening level at any time. you'll want to use the louder portion as a reference

Apr 6, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #5 of 15
They do change quite a bit after burned-in. Bass is less boomy still muddy, sound stage opened up almost same like C700 imo, mid and treble is smoother.

Apr 7, 2008 at 10:15 AM Post #7 of 15
I have experience with 3 ep630, which are basically the cx300.

After burning in on one set for 40-50hours, the earphones started to get really shrill to the point that the highs started to become shrieky. Also the bass weakened as well. My friend bought another pair for his birthday and Ive done a 1:1 comparison that there is a noon and afternoon difference but not the the extent of night/day. Granted, there is a distinct difference with BNIB and burn in.

Now, I sold that pair and bought myself the exact same pair again since the vibes and maylarone did not do bass as well as these bad boys did. Ive enjoyed the sound spectrum just out of the box.

Keep in mind, Ive went through, K81, vibes, mylarone, iGrado and tested im716, SR125 and cx300. Ive kept none except the ksc75, genuine ex90 which i got for $30 refurb >
tongue.gif
and ep630.

In the end of my journey and 500+ post, Ive learnt that its not the headphones that will make you feel good at the end of the day, its basically the music that is played through them, so enjoy whatever you have.

( i might need to try out the c551s lol. )

Jun 7, 2008 at 12:51 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

After burning in on one set for 40-50hours, the earphones started to get really shrill to the point that the highs started to become shrieky.

Whoah, that sucks. Hope that is not a rule. Maybe you overdid the burn-in, i.e. you burnt-OUT your eps? (You know you have to pause the burn-in once in a while? Otherwise, the whole thing gets too hot and that might damage your HPs.) - I have burnt mine in for like 10 hrs using pink noise; and I feel they improved indeed. The sound seems balanced now. Hope mine don't start going downhill as I really like the sound right now.

Jun 7, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tohni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...(You know you have to pause the burn-in once in a while? Otherwise, the whole thing gets too hot and that might damage your HPs.)....

Who told you that kind of nonsense?

Jun 7, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

nonsense

I think it makes sense. If you stress any material for too long, it will eventually break. Pink noise, unlike mere music, puts constant stress on all parts of the membrane - all the time. What I remember is this: running pink noise through your speakers/hps nonstop heats up the system (don't know the exact name: the part that is responsible for moving the membrane) causing it do die of "heat death" at some point. In Burninwave generator there is the option for a "rest period"; but maybe that's just for those afraid to break their system. - If I find the post/website, I'll post the link.

P.s.: probably I hallucinated reading that...
rolleyes.gif

Jun 7, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

some people burn in their headphones for over a year

What they probably don't say is that they interrupt the process regularly. Even with breaks in between it can be called "burn-in". - To each his own, I guess. Anyway, I will definitely continue to enable the "rest period" in Burninwave generator.
Hope I find that thread...

Jun 7, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #13 of 15
It is not the continuing of burn-in that 'burn' the transducer, it is the volume (power) that are most likely to damage your headphone. If you keep the volume at safe level (low power), there is no reason to suspect the heat will build up.

Like Envoy of Light said, I have seen (or read) that a few of our crazy brothers/sisters here have continuously (aka. non stop) burn-in their headphone over thousands of hours. I personally has done quite a few times of burn-in in continuous for >100hrs, which include my EP-630 - no problem there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back