Creative EMU EM-U 0404 questions. Help! SPDIF and LEDs.
Oct 1, 2010 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

shawn_low

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I purchased a creative EM-U from someone on HF.

Got a couple of issues with it.

USB input works with Headphone output. YAY!

I plugged in both Optical sources and SPDIF sources but there is NO SOUND from the headphone output. Should this be the case? Do I need to turn anything on or press buttons to switch to SPDIF? I removed the USB input and pressed all conceivable buttons to no effect.

Also, there are several diodes/LEDs which DON'T light up.

1) Power On
2) SPDIF (both Coax and Optical when there is a connection). Pressing the buttons doesn't do anything.
3) 48V on.

So, I lift the thing and there's a rattling inside. I look closer at the diodes/LEDs and it seems like some of them are a different colour (there's a reddish/orangey glow under all of them except for a few). This includes the ones listed above.

When I power on the machine, these lights come on:

Midi: Out
Direct Monito: Main, SPDIF, OFF, MONO on.
Mic/Hi-Z/Line: SL

NO other lights come one.

I suspect the diodes broke off, hence the lack of lights to indicate things. But will this affect SPDIF input?

Thanks.

Oct 1, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #2 of 10
I havn't understood if you are trying to use the unit standalone or if it's plugged into a PC with drivers normally installed. In both cases to listen directly from s/pdif i thing you should select the preferred input with the button under the s/pdif tab, then put the direct monitor on s/pdif and turn its knob fully clockwise. 

It should work flawlessly.

Oct 1, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #3 of 10
Hi,

In USB mode, I'm using the PC to output music to it. Used as a standalone.

I want to input via spdif and also use as a standalone.

Right now, I can't tell if the input is on spdif as the LEDs doesn't work.

Should the direct monitor knob spin freely? Mine does...

Oct 2, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #4 of 10
Yes, the knob used for the direct monitor level works like that, it should be normal.

Oct 3, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_low /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I plugged in both Optical sources and SPDIF sources but there is NO SOUND from the headphone output. Should this be the case? Do I need to turn anything on or press buttons to switch to SPDIF? I removed the USB input and pressed all conceivable buttons to no effect.

Also, there are several diodes/LEDs which DON'T light up.

1) Power On
2) SPDIF (both Coax and Optical when there is a connection). Pressing the buttons doesn't do anything.
3) 48V on.

So, I lift the thing and there's a rattling inside. I look closer at the diodes/LEDs and it seems like some of them are a different colour (there's a reddish/orangey glow under all of them except for a few). This includes the ones listed above.

When I power on the machine, these lights come on:

Midi: Out
Direct Monito: Main, SPDIF, OFF, MONO on.
Mic/Hi-Z/Line: SL

NO other lights come one.

I suspect the diodes broke off, hence the lack of lights to indicate things. But will this affect SPDIF input?

Thanks.

In standalone mode, for headphone output it's needed to set the Direct Monitor state to "Main" and Sync Source to "Ext.".
Also, the samplerate setting for 0404 needs to be exactly the same your source samplerate is (well, this is handled through sync source when set to Ext.).

After powering E-MU 0404 USB device, I see four lights left burning ... Sync Status (red), Direct Monitor (red), S/PDIF Optical (red) and Power On (green) ofcourse.

jiitee

Oct 6, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #6 of 10
@ Jiitee.

Thanks. I got the Coax source to sync and output to headphone.

But the only lights that come on when I power up is Direct Monitor.

All other lights are broken on not working. I have to just press and hope the signal locks on.

Kinda annoying.

The seller has offered to give me some money back. Any idea how badly resale value is affected? I would imagine that it's function as a recording device is now limited as the Mic/Hi-Z/Line lights don't work, sync lights don't work etc.

Oct 6, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
I bought one of these and I never got the #$%#@! thing to work on my Vista machine. It's back in the box in my closet.

I shouldn't laugh...really I shouldn't.

You should sell it!

Oct 11, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
I bought one of these and I never got the #$%#@! thing to work on my Vista machine. It's back in the box in my closet.

LOL.  Not much love for the 0404 rgs.....

Don't know if you updated the drivers.  I can email them to you, if you'd like to try.  I use it with my Vistax64 desktop w/ Foobar.  Once you set it up and configure it, it runs like a charm.  Here's a couple of shots of playing different sample rates, without missing a beat from album to album.

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back