Creative aurvana LIVE! wood cups?
Feb 18, 2012 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mingamo

100+ Head-Fier
Alright, so i bought the creative aurvana lives and think they are spectacular in almost every aspect, and was reading mods about dynamat to dampen the cups for a little tighter accurate bass "whatever". Well, instead of that, i have access to a fullon woodworking shop at school that i can use and the teacher is a great guy. He has everything: planer, drill press,every sander you can think of.
i recently made a nice little cutting board out of walnut strips and have a general idea on how to shape everything pretty well.

I thought i could make the removable cups on the aurvanas out of wood to get a similar effect  of the dynamat with the low end of wood cups (walnut is really warm low frequency wood used for making jazz drums) for a deeper bass.

think i could do it? ive never modded headphones but it seems kind of fun for a little reversible mod project.

heres a pic of some random aurvana with wood or plastic? cups:
e503686e_315751_275219259166547_100000354244873_939001_139854509_n.jpeg

Feb 19, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #3 of 4
hehe yeah now that i look your right, probably pleather.
i need to decide if i want flat (ultrasone like) or rounded aurvana end cap/cup things.
might even make an open wood grill if i have time.

Feb 19, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 4
Flat gives you less soundstage. From what I've read it's best not to deviate too much from the original design, since if something sounds good it's because people put some time and effort into finding out what was the best cup shape for that driver. Of course it isn't always so (Thunderpants!) and you might find a mod that makes them sound to most better than stock. If you could make an open and a closed versions you could compare, but my suggestion is to keep the closed with kind of the same depth as the stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back