Creating examples of "Loudness Wars" effect
Jun 6, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #136 of 354
I consider "commercial products like Toto or Boston" to be works of art, in the same vein as Symphony No. 5 by Beethoven or Barber of Seville by Rossini

Well then you are going to have to convince the artists and record labels to donate the masters to the public good, and you're going to have to find an institution willing to maintain and exhibit them publicly. Good luck with that! It's easy to call something art. It's a lot harder to peel it out of a company's hands and find someone to support it as art. Most pop music has to be supported in the open market.

By the way, symphonies and operas are not set in stone. They are *interpreted* to suit modern audiences. Have you seen what Barber of Seville looks like now? It isn't the same as in our parents' day, or in Mozart's day either.

Here is a recent staging of Barber of Seville by Seattle Opera...

01b_gallery_barber-2017.jpg

and here's what it looks like in Rome...

Opera-di-Roma.jpg

Art doesn't stand still either.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #138 of 354
On the nose is derived from horse racing. It means "precisely correct". You would bet for a horse to win, place or show. If you bet "on the nose" you were betting that the horse would come in first.

Jun 6, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #139 of 354
On the nose is derived from horse racing. It means "precisely correct". You would bet for a horse to win, place or show. If you bet "on the nose" you were betting that the horse would come in first.

Aha! Interesting.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #140 of 354
MAAT DROffline Meter - Successor to TT DR Offline Meter.

Example uses Norah Jones' "Don't Know Why"...

IMG_4955.PNG

Which as usual returns the same slight louder average
left channel!

Jun 6, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #141 of 354
I consider "commercial products like Toto or Boston" to be works of art, in the same vein as Symphony No. 5 by Beethoven or Barber of Seville by Rossini. Once released, not to be effed with. Of course the classical examples must now be performed by living orchestras, as their creators are long since passed.

No one tell him about Bruckner.

Jun 6, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #142 of 354
Or Wendy Carlos!

Jun 6, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #143 of 354
I have a black triangle Let's Dance coming, decided I had to have it after tracking down the 1st sony mastering of Dark Side of the Moon. :)
I have the Black Triangle Let's Dance and yes it sounds great. However, from what I've been told, it is the same mastering as used on the regular releases.

Jun 6, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #144 of 354
I have a couple of friends who buy all those current expensive LP reissues of 70s and 80s rock. They talk a lot about sound quality in a vague sort of way, and they have the same routines about hot mastering that sonic truth has. But they really have no idea how to actually improve sound other than to buy records that cost a lot of money. When they come over to see a movie or listen to music at my house, they say that they wish their system sounded like that. I nicely tell them that it can, but they have to focus on the things that matter. They nod and look thoughtful and don't say any more about it. I think they really don't spend a lot of time listening to music. The LPs are more of a fetish object to them. They like the covers and the shiny look of the grooves.

As for the rise in sales of LPs, that is a lie. You see people pointing to charts like this...

u-s-vinyl-lp-sales-2000-2015.png

But they don't show charts like this...

LPEPsales2.jpg
The other thing they do, is having the graphs top out at 2015. The RIAA music sales data show that this growth has plataued since then.

Jun 6, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #145 of 354
I have the Black Triangle Let's Dance and yes it sounds great. However, from what I've been told, it is the same mastering as used on the regular releases.

Dang it. That wasn't what I understood from my research into it, but you could be right. I won't regret having it either way, I guess. :)

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #146 of 354

Let's Dance was released on CD in its first release. It's always sounded great on CD. The albums that sound bad on LP are the earlier ones... Diamond Dogs, Low, etc.

Jun 6, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #147 of 354
Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #148 of 354
I have, the original David Bowie Let's Dance CD. I have always liked it very much. I never thought to much about the way it sounded before. But I think it sounds quite good. Anyway, I read that David Bowie regretted making that CD.

Great! As long as it sounds like the record I'll be happy, that's what I know and want. Let's Dance and this one are the only Bowie records I had, it's not known for it's sound quality, apparently.

https://www.discogs.com/David-Bowie...id-Bowies-All-Time-Greatest-Hits/master/48972

I have the Singles 1969 to 1993 on CD and it sounds good to me, the Legacy compilation did not, imo. :)

I
Let's Dance was released on CD in its first release. It's always sounded great on CD. The albums that sound bad on LP are the earlier ones... Diamond Dogs, Low, etc.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #150 of 354
Let's Dance was a demonstration disc back when CDs were introduced. It's the first record that I heard on CD that made me sit up and take notice. I don't think any of the remasters sound different. I bet they're all the same. It's like Steely Dan albums. Why mess with a good thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back