Creating an amplifier for portable sperakers?
Jan 13, 2008 at 5:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

PuZo

Head-Fier
My cousin mentioned that his laptop cant power his headphones enough so he would make an amplifier for it, didnt get much time to talk to him about it since hes in school, but Im wondering if anyone else knows anything about this? Im looking for something to make portable speakers louder. Does it depend on the speaker itself how loud it can go? Also how would I go by powering the amp, since it needs to be portable. Can I just buy expensive LOUD portable speakers? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by PuZo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I just buy expensive LOUD portable speakers?

Are you looking for active(powered) speakers which have built-in rechargeable batteries?

Jan 13, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #4 of 21
yup, something I can either make or buy. Basically I just want the loudest PORTABLE speakers or an amplifier for regular portable speakers. I'm guessing I'd have to use NIMH or NICAD batteries? Any info would be great, thanks!

Jan 14, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

yup, something I can either make or buy. Basically I just want the loudest PORTABLE speakers or an amplifier for regular portable speakers. I'm guessing I'd have to use NIMH or NICAD batteries? Any info would be great, thanks!

I've been unable to find self powered small speakers. I was recently looking for something similar for around $200 or less. What I ended up with was a "guitar amp/speaker" type which has a built-in battery. It's not very small but gets fairly loud with decent sound quality.

You could make your own I guess or modify but that might not be worth it...depending on your skill level.

Jan 14, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #7 of 21
Well, have you looked at those "T-Amps"? Battery powered and about 15 watts max.

Or finding a pair of HEAVY Acoustic Research PARTNER speakers? I liked those fine.

Jan 14, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #8 of 21
Jan 14, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

So what about something like this?

Sonic Impact Technologies - Class T Digital Amplifier Gen 2

This is what I have now and hoping to use it with

Amazon.com: Logitech mm22 Portable Speakers for iPod: Electronics

Is that too cheap, would that amp be more suited for a higher class portable speaker?

Or would it just be easier to buy the best portable speakers? Is it possible to get the sound of say a boombox that uses like 8 D batteries, but without that many?

I don't know much about that portable/battery powered Sonic Impact Technologies amp but that might work fine with some small passive speakers. From my auditions, all of those smallest iPod dock boom boxes sound pretty bad.One model that might be worth looking into is the Logitech mm50 Portable Speakers for iPod.

I ended up with an Alesis product... here is my recent thread about it.

Jan 15, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know much about that portable/battery powered Sonic Impact Technologies amp but that might work fine with some small passive speakers. From my auditions, all of those smallest iPod dock boom boxes sound pretty bad.One model that might be worth looking into is the Logitech mm50 Portable Speakers for iPod.

I ended up with an Alesis product... here is my recent thread about it.

Thats just a tadd to big
biggrin.gif
So the mm50, does an amp increase sound quality or power to it, also would the same unit work the same with regular headphones. And last if I bought the mm50, what type of amp do I look for? Thanks alot!

Jan 15, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #11 of 21
The mm50 doesn't have a headphone jack afaik nor is it for use with an external amp...it's an all-in-one solution...for close proximity listening it should sound decent.

If you already own that battery powered amp then I think your best move would be to find some small non-powered (passive) speakers to use with it.

Jan 15, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

So what about something like this?

Sonic Impact Technologies - Class T Digital Amplifier Gen 2

OMG dude, I am full on into getting one for my portable rig, I have already saved the link to my favorites list, this would definitely be great to use with my MZ-NH700 Hi-MD Walkman and a pair of mini hi-fi speakers!!!

And the fact that it runs on "AA" batteries rather then on expensive proprietary rechargeables, makes it even more kick-ass!!! I will save the Headsix for higher-impedence (24+ ohm) cans and travel powered speakers (either my 'C' size battery-powered SRS-67's or my AC-powered SRS-Z750's), and use this at home as a backup amp in case of the eventual power outage or if I want to share my music outside the home.

Jan 15, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGHMW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OMG dude, I am full on into getting one for my portable rig, I have already saved the link to my favorites list, this would definitely be great to use with my MZ-NH700 Hi-MD Walkman and a pair of mini hi-fi speakers!!!

And the fact that it runs on "AA" batteries rather then on expensive proprietary rechargeables, makes it even more kick-ass!!! I will save the Headsix for higher-impedence (24+ ohm) cans and travel powered speakers (either my 'C' size battery-powered SRS-67's or my AC-powered SRS-Z750's), and use this at home as a backup amp in case of the eventual power outage or if I want to share my music outside the home.

so would this amp make small non-powered (passive) louder, clearer, or play longer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back