Create playlists for X1 Fiio
Nov 5, 2014 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

DarkPrince

New Head-Fier
I just updated my Fiio X1 to the new firmware that supports playlists. I as of now can't seem to make it to work on the player. I export the playlists as .m3u from itunes or musicbee to the sd card. I update the .lib, when i select playlists said there is no playlist found.

I search the forum and only found a some topics but not specifically for the x1

Thanks in advance.

Nov 11, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 29
  I just updated my Fiio X1 to the new firmware that supports playlists. I as of now can't seem to make it to work on the player. I export the playlists as .m3u from itunes or musicbee to the sd card. I update the .lib, when i select playlists said there is no playlist found.

I search the forum and only found a some topics but not specifically for the x1

Thanks in advance.

Hi DarkPrince,

Unfortunately, m3u playlists are not fully supported. You can only read them, without having the possibility to add songs to them. In order to access a m3u playlist, you need to go to "Browse Files" section and click on the playlist.

Nov 11, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #3 of 29
Hello I'm not sure if this helps at all or whether i'm just being dumb but why can't you just create new playlists from your library using the shortcut key and creating or adding to playlist button.

Nov 11, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 29
I successfully use m3u playlist files on my X1 here is how it is done:

1.  Create a folder for your playlist and copy all the music files to this new x1 folder, also copy your m3u file into it.

2.  Using a text editing tool with search and replace edit function edit the m3u file you just copied over.  Remove all instances of drive and directory references (for each track), so only the file names exist in your list of songs.

3.  Remove your X1 from the computer and update the library (if it is not configured to do it automatically).  Using the X1 menu (using the file browser) browse to your newly created folder and find the m3u file, select it and the first track to start play.

Works flawlessly on mine.

Nov 12, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #5 of 29
Hello I'm not sure if this helps at all or whether i'm just being dumb but why can't you just create new playlists from your library using the shortcut key and creating or adding to playlist button.

They classify the playlists in 2 categories: internal, which you can create using the shortcut key + then the add button and imported (like m3u).

The internal playlists can not be exported to the microSd and the imported playlists can not be edited(with a minor exception: you can remove items).

I'm hoping they will change this with the next firmware release, because, now, it leaves a lot to be desired from the usability of the feature

Jan 9, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #6 of 29
Sorry, but I don't understand for what this procedure should be practical?
I need Playlists to assemble songs from different folders/albums to a new Sampler without a new configuration of the player library.
So like SurferD recommends: for what do You need the Playlist? You can easier play the folder itself.

Jan 10, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #8 of 29
Here my recipe how to create Playlists for FIIO X1 with FW 1.10:
Write a text file named like you want as *.m3u file and anywhere you want on the SD Card containing the following lines
pointing to the lokations of the  songs in their order to be played:
..\path of folder\first song
..\path of folder\next song
..\path of folder\last song
(where song means song file name with file extension, can be from differend folders/albums)
That's an external Playlist.
You can use it only by opening it in the folder view and not in the playlist menu!

Very helpful is the program PlaylistCreator.
You shoult choose relative path for playlist entries in settings.

May 20, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #9 of 29
I'm using a FiiO X1 and for the longest time I've had trouble creating a custom playlist, and the process of adding individual songs to a native FiiO playlist is very tedious. Here's a simple process I just discovered.

For example, I have a main folder called EDM within which I have many sub-folders (A, B, C and D). The FiiO system will only shuffle folder A separately and the same for folders B, C and D. I wanted to shuffle only folders A and B with the help of a playlist.

Creating a playlist using Windows 8.1 and Winamp v5.601

Step 1:
Connect the FiiO X1 to the PC with the USB cable.

Step 2:
In Windows explorer, navigate to My Compuer>X1>EDM

Step 3:
Drag and drop the folders titled A and B into Winamp (make sure that the Winamp playlist section is empty before dropping the folders in it)

Step 4:
In Winamp, go to 'File>Save playlist' (Ctrl+S also works)

Step 5:
Give the playlist a name (eg. 'Favourites.m3u)' and save in on the X1 directly within the main folder (on my X1, I saved it in the main EDM folder)

The .m3u playlist is now displayed in the main EDM folder below the sub-folders A, B, C and D.

Step 6:
To access the playlist:

1. Safely eject the FiiO X1
2. Start up the X1
3. Go to the 'Folder' icon
4. Open the respective folder (in my case the folder 'EDM')
5. Select the playlist which is now below the folders A, B, C and D (in my case the playlist is titled 'Favourites.m3u')

It plays perfectly well!

Further, if you want to delete individual songs, you can follow the same process and open the playlist in Winamp and delete individual tracks and then save again (save directly on to the X1)

I've created multiple playlists within each 'Main' folder (eg. my main folders are listed as Classical Music, EDM, Driving Music etc) for my different moods :D
In my experience, I did not have to update the 'Media Library' after creating the playlist.
I think this process should work for the X3 and X5 as well.

Hope this is helpful!

Nov 25, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #10 of 29
I am surprised...no, shocked!  That Fiio does not explain better how to create a playlist.

It's pretty easy, but anything is easy when you know what to do.

Someone else had suggested using Foobar 2000 and I found it quite useful & simple.

After you download the program, connect your Fiio to your computer.  Using Foobar, go to Files > Add Files and add music files from your Fiio player drive that you find under your "C drive".

When you're done filling your playlist, just save it as an m3u file into the same area where your music folders are on the X player.

Then, when you go to play tunes, open up this file and you should be in business.

Nov 25, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #11 of 29
  And in the Manual they say *.cue files are supported!?
I tried but they are not working.

Hi, Kepala.
Yes, the X1 can support the CUE file. Could you please show us the related files you have?
Here is an example for you. If there is a folder which contains 2 files, one is "sample.wav", another one is "sample.cue", then you can play the CUE by "Browse files". 

Nov 26, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #12 of 29
I am surprised...no, shocked!  That Fiio does not explain better how to create a playlist.

It's pretty easy, but anything is easy when you know what to do.

Someone else had suggested using Foobar 2000 and I found it quite useful & simple.

After you download the program, connect your Fiio to your computer.  Using Foobar, go to Files > Add Files and add music files from your Fiio player drive that you find under your "C drive".

When you're done filling your playlist, just save it as an m3u file into the same area where your music folders are on the X player.

Then, when you go to play tunes, open up this file and you should be in business.

Hello radiodjs,

I explain much the same here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/761295/how-to-create-m3u-playlists-for-use-on-the-x1-x3-and-x5-from-your-computer

There is a link to this tutorial with every new firmware download for every X player :xf_eek:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 11, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #13 of 29
Is there a way to remove all favorites (all at once)? I just upgraded form a 32gb card to a 64gb and I modified the names of a big portion of my files and they don't match with the old ones anymore and it would take ages to remove them one by one. I would apreciate it

Jan 11, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #14 of 29
  Is there a way to remove all favorites (all at once)? I just upgraded form a 32gb card to a 64gb and I modified the names of a big portion of my files and they don't match with the old ones anymore and it would take ages to remove them one by one. I would apreciate it

Hi, Kev-os.
For this case, firstly pls enter Favorites from the main menu, then p
ress the Shortcuts key(the key to the upper left of the scroll wheel
) to batch add or remove songs (press OK to select and enter the songs list). Because you want to remove the songs, pls select the trash icon.Then use the scroll wheel to select a song, and press Previous or Next button to remove a song from a list, you can see the corresponding heart on the right side will be "blank".  After done, pls finally press OK button to save changes.
Hope that helps. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 18, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #15 of 29
I thought I was buying a player,(X-1) in which I could install an SD card filled with music files from iTUNES, or Amazon libraries, attach my new Sennheiser Momentums and amplify with
my new Cayin 5 and.......nothing. What went wrong?  That's 3 new products. Was the Fiio X-1 purchase my fatal flaw. I just wanted a great little system to overcome Manhattan street noise with
beautiful music . Instead I'm presented with some new filing, or algebraic system from a galaxy far far away. BTW I'm using a MacBook Pro, is this the problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back